Post subject: Road Noise
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:07 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hello everyone

Recently took my car to the panel beaters for a bingle fix up. Had their loan car for 2 days...a Holden Commodore VX and I'll admit, it felt smooth, but the drive was boat like, however what got me was how quiet the drive was...I didn't have to blast the radio to overcome the road noise going over 80km/hr like the EL.

As I drive 80% on the highway, I would like to reduce the road noise but not sure where to begin.

First I thought about sound proofing the car interior using the spray on sound proofing stuff...I rather that than the rolls of expensive and heavy sound deadener. Where should I be applying this stuff? Doors or the interior of the fire wall? Wheel arches?

Secondly I have noticed that the drivers door, during a windy day, I can hear the wind come through. Feels like the seal needs replacing. Where can I get door seals? Are there generic ones you can buy or only genuine?

I have found that my drivers door may not be closing properly. I say this because when I take a long left hand sweeper at pace, I can feel wind and noise come through, as though the door is unhinging slightly. To add to this, I looked at the door strike on the B-pillar and it has some black plastic material on it that has definitely worn off and about to fall off, I assume this helps the door close quietly and help hold it in place firmly. Is it possible to replace that black plastic bit or do I have to replace the whole door strike?

Can't think of anything else to help reduce road noise other than changing my wheels to stock from my 17"...but that won't be happening.

Thanks in advance!

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Post subject: Re: Road Noise
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:35 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

some tyres will give you stuff all road noise .... others can give you a bit of noise. maybe swap wheels/tyres around with another set & see/listen to any differance. have you checked the door seal? .. maybe 'adjust' the door hinges & bring door in slightly?

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:32 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
some tyres will give you stuff all road noise .... others can give you a bit of noise. maybe swap wheels/tyres around with another set & see/listen to any differance. have you checked the door seal? .. maybe 'adjust' the door hinges & bring door in slightly?

Thanks for the suggestions Mad2.

I'm currently running 17s. Rears have SP3000 235/45/17 while the fronts are Falken ZE912 235/45/17. When new, the Falkens were quieter compared to the SP3000, but I won't be changing wheels/tyres anytime soon as they are still have life in them, I probably will be getting new tyres by the end of the year though while I clock 600km a week.

I have had a look at the door seals and they have seen better days, but I have never replaced them since I owned the car (10 years) and I believe it was never replaced before me.

I will have a look at adjusting the door to bring it in more...you could be right, I have taken the door off once before so I may have not have aligned correctly, though this was many moons ago.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:

I'm currently running 17s. Rears have SP3000 235/45/17 while the fronts are Falken ZE912 235/45/17. When new, the Falkens were quieter compared to the SP3000, but I won't be changing wheels/tyres anytime soon as they are still have life in them, I probably will be getting new tyres by the end of the year though while I clock 600km a week.

i meant change wheels & see what 'noise' dissappears ....... 600k's is a shiiit load of k's ya rackin up a week :shock:

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
phongus wrote:

i meant change wheels & see what 'noise' dissappears ....... 600k's is a shiiit load of k's ya rackin up a week :shock:

Ah yes sorry. Will need to chase a spare set from someone and take it for a test.

Yes a lot of kilometers...hurts my wallet a little and hoping once I finished doing TLC to the car the fuel economy can go down...even just 1L/100km drop will help out a bit.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Quote:
I'm currently running 17s

there is most of your problem. The NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) was done on these vehicle using 15" wheels and tyres. The thinner the tyre sidewall, the more road noise, let alone the worse ride.

However, tyres can make a difference to noise. Large tread blocks = more noise (have you heard a FWD going past with big wheels/tyres??)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]