Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Roof lining
Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MKII XR6

New Zealand

Hi guys,

Just wondering if the roof lining from an EL or an AU sedan will be the same size and shape as my EA?

There is no roof lining in it at the moment, and I can't find an EA at the wreckers

Post subject: Re: Roof lining
Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:15 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1998 EL Ford Futura

VIC, Australia

As far as I know EA-EL would be the same but AU is different. Someone correct me if i'm wrong?

MY BUILD:
- Oxford Green 1998 EL Ford Futura. Hybrid EL Tickford Engine. 3.45 LSD Diff. DL LTD Interior. Cruise Climate Trip HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

QLD, Australia

I'm quite sure you're spot on Ryan.

Iv been doing some light mods to mine (eg: Leds etc) pun not intended. While i wait for
a friend to get enough time off to get the gearbox happening. And it got me looking at
my own roof lining.. It's been sagging down since i brought the car.. And I'm over using
the thumbtacks to keep it off my head.

Question is (and this may be silly to ask.. forgive me if it is) Is it possible to take off the
wood stuff between the roof (bare metal) and actual lining material (the cloth)?

I know i could go to an auto trimmers and pay $100-200, But more money i can have for transmission/oils/new leads etc the better.

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MKII XR6

New Zealand

Sorted, picked up an ED fairmont roof lining in great condition for $12 - fits perfectly

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:26 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

brendanssound wrote:
I'm quite sure you're spot on Ryan.

Iv been doing some light mods to mine (eg: Leds etc) pun not intended. While i wait for
a friend to get enough time off to get the gearbox happening. And it got me looking at
my own roof lining.. It's been sagging down since i brought the car.. And I'm over using
the thumbtacks to keep it off my head.

Question is (and this may be silly to ask.. forgive me if it is) Is it possible to take off the
wood stuff between the roof (bare metal) and actual lining material (the cloth)?

I know i could go to an auto trimmers and pay $100-200, But more money i can have for transmission/oils/new leads etc the better.

That wood stuff is actually the headliner board, of which the headliner fabric is glued to. It is quite easy to replace the headliner yourself for just the price of the headliner material and some spray fabric glue.

You would want to remove the headliner board and peel back all the old material and use a soft wire brush to remove all the old bits of foam and glue. Then lay down the new fabric over the board and fold half of it back over itself. Then spray a good coating of fabric glue over the exposed half of the board and the exposed underside of the frabric which is now facing up, wait a few minutes until it starts to get a little tacky and lay the half that you folded back earlier back down onto the board. Then repeat for the other half of the fabric. Turn the board upside down and cut out all required holes for lights and handles etc.

Then put the board back in the car through the passenger front door and re-attatch to the roof of the car, and you're done! Not very hard, but the material isn't the cheapest available. Get a price from a few of your local auto trimmers. I think you need 1.78metres for your E series Falcon, but check that.

Of if you wish you could just remove it and leave it all out, though I'm sure it wouldn't look as nice haha.

MY BUILD:
- Oxford Green 1998 EL Ford Futura. Hybrid EL Tickford Engine. 3.45 LSD Diff. DL LTD Interior. Cruise Climate Trip HERE

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

In my case the cloth part of the material does not need replacing though.. It all looks relatively good.. It just sags. And i already have some headliner glue lying around here somewhere.

So by the sounds of it, It's easy enough to just take out the board and then i can wire brush back that orange crap and re glue it.. Then put it all back in as one piece? That's what I'm just trying to get confirmed anyway.

I had been trying to pull it down a little and get my hand in between the cloth and board and spray the glue.. But i ended up thinking "bugger this" all i got was orange crap on my arms.. Which was also sticky due to the glue my arms had to rub against to get all the tricky bits.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:01 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

brendanssound wrote:
In my case the cloth part of the material does not need replacing though.. It all looks relatively good.. It just sags. And i already have some headliner glue lying around here somewhere.

So by the sounds of it, It's easy enough to just take out the board and then i can wire brush back that orange crap and re glue it.. Then put it all back in as one piece? That's what I'm just trying to get confirmed anyway.

I had been trying to pull it down a little and get my hand in between the cloth and board and spray the glue.. But i ended up thinking "bugger this" all i got was orange crap on my arms.. Which was also sticky due to the glue my arms had to rub against to get all the tricky bits.

The reason why it's sagging is because the foam backing on the fabric deteroiates and breaks down, allowing the fabric to drop and sag. The headliner material is made up of two pieces the fabric side and the foam side which is the side glued to the board. Once the foam is wrecked you pretty much have to start over like I described above, if you try to re-glue it, the material will just continue to break down and sag again, you will also get wrinkles all over your headliner as the fabric side stretches and goes out of shape. Like I said its not a big deal its just the price of materials and maybe 2 hours of free time. It just depends weather or not you think it's worth it! Most car trimmers charge around $300 to do the whole job for you. :)

MY BUILD:

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Oh..

Well that makes sense now. Didn't realize the fabric has 2 parts to it.. I'm guessing the foam material is all that orange gunk stuck to the wood now. I'll do a ring around for curiosity sake tomorrow and see what the locals will hit me up for the material. Then its about time for some updates to the build thread i guess.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]