Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Sagging Roof lining
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:
most automotive trimmers / upholsterers should be able to do it, look em up in the yellowpages.

I asked around a few auto trimmers not so long ago in regards to making up a new roof lining for when i fit my sunroof, and was quoted between $400 - 600! I thought that was a bit steep.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

i recently had a quote for $180 for the Fairlane, and others at liverpool cruise meet said that was expensive! :shock:

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:
i recently had a quote for $180 for the Fairlane, and others at liverpool cruise meet said that was expensive! :shock:

Man that's cheap, i'd pay that to get a new lining done when i fit the sunroof! The trimmer with the most expensive quote i got is one i've used to have some seats re trimmed & re bolstered, and he did a great job and they were very reasonably priced on those jobs.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF II XR6

VIC, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
EL XR6 FALCON wrote:
Hey, the best thing you can do to fix ur sagging roof problem is to sell your car and buy an el. After all they s**t on ef's in every way so y bother fixing it!!

Your an idiot.

I think idiot is a compliment

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

one of the guys said that he had roof lining and front door padded bits done for $160!

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:
one of the guys said that he had roof lining and front door padded bits done for $160!

:shock: That's very cheap! I'd love to get the leather redone on my drivers door trim in the ghia, but i was quoted $240 to remove, repad, retrim the leather & refit, a bit pricey for looks at the current time.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Falcon

NSW, Australia

hey guys. i FINALLY got round to fixing my roof lining. is a very good quality job. got it done at a pestiege trimmer for $110 which i think is pretty damn good. but it was cheaper for me coz I removed and re-fitted it myself. The blokes that fixed it guarantee that it will never sagg again.

EF XR6, Red in colour, T5 with short shift, tired LSD, Pioneer head unit, 2.5 exhaust with staino pacemakers, 68mm TB, dumped on ultras, sitting on FTR's with EL bodykits

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

They must use better foam & stronger glue to be able to say it won't sag again. I thought that due to the way these roof linings are done for these car's that it's a given that it will eventually sag again.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

surely there has been more people that have done this DIY?

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

misk_one wrote:
surely there has been more people that have done this DIY?

IF you know what you're doing! Old glue/material/backing is easy enough to take off the backing board. Taking it to "the professionals" in the first place could save heartache/money should you attempt doing it yourself and risk botching it up. New glue, material and backing is a lot harder to get off.

Another question is do you have the right tools for the job?

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
They must use better foam & stronger glue to be able to say it won't sag again. I thought that due to the way these roof linings are done for these car's that it's a given that it will eventually sag again.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

glue is ok,so is the material----problem is the foam backing,as it has a 10-15 year life and i say 15 as its a unknown variable.buy your material from a uphostery guy and do it yourself.i just done a vr sedan,ed sedan----my kids cars,costs for both was under $90 and a days work,with ME doing all the work.most places charge between 180-200 bucks each. MY2CENTS

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

glue is ok,so is the material----problem is the foam backing,as it has a 10-15 year life and i say 15 as its a unknown variable.buy your material from a uphostery guy and do it yourself.i just done a vr sedan,ed sedan----my kids cars,costs for both was under $90 and a days work,with ME doing all the work.most places charge between 180-200 bucks each. MY2CENTS

Yepp concur with this...the materials used back then in the foams were pitiful, not to mention really bad for your lungs. I have a spare liner with nothing on it in readiness for when my second hand one goes. I got it for nix and was in a good state compared to mine and no more brushing off my navy whites from all of the orange foam!!

Hooroo

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: AU Falcon XRS Wagon

QLD, Australia

the only thing that makes me want to get a shop to do it is the size of the roof lining in the wagon.
Any ford wagon including my AU is a furrrrkin big piece of material, I think we would all agree with that.
But after reading all the threads posted here,,,including the unnecessary ones arguing about the size and/or speed of your d**k....i mean fords...I think I will have a mate come round and give me a hand to try and fix it myself.
If worst comes to worst at least it will be out and I will have the material here.Then I will only have to pay for the material to be glued and fitted back in the beast.
Will save me a bit anyway.
Thanks again to the legends on this site.
And also to the d**k that only want to sprout s**t instead of adding useful and friendly information.
If that is what you want to do then go join a holden forum site and leave us alone to get the answers and give the answers to the people that want and need help
Like me....I really need help.....ask the wife she will tell you

My apologies if it not my place to make comments like this but I really enjoy reading the useful info on these pages.not reading little d**k wanna be hero types giving s**t to others

LONG LIVE THE BEAR

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Bud_and_Lynn wrote:
the only thing that makes me want to get a shop to do it is the size of the roof lining in the wagon.
Any ford wagon including my AU is a furrrrkin big piece of material, I think we would all agree with that.
But after reading all the threads posted here,,,including the unnecessary ones arguing about the size and/or speed of your d**k....i mean fords...I think I will have a mate come round and give me a hand to try and fix it myself.
If worst comes to worst at least it will be out and I will have the material here.Then I will only have to pay for the material to be glued and fitted back in the beast.
Will save me a bit anyway.
Thanks again to the legends on this site.
And also to the d**k that only want to sprout s**t instead of adding useful and friendly information.
If that is what you want to do then go join a holden forum site and leave us alone to get the answers and give the answers to the people that want and need help
Like me....I really need help.....ask the wife she will tell you

My apologies if it not my place to make comments like this but I really enjoy reading the useful info on these pages.not reading little d**k wanna be hero types giving s**t to others

as i have said before,measure the length of the roof lining and and add 300 mm,the width is over 200mm wider than the roof,3 cans of spray glue for the waggon im guessing,lay the cover over roof card board and centre it both ways,fold it over in half over one end and roll it up to the middle,spray the glue from the centre down to the end,spray more around edges and cut outs-100mm,so it sticks well.almost forgot-place a piece of plastic under the fold so you get a nice even run,roll the cover over glued area in small sections and smooth out air and creases to the end-you can add glue any time,then the other end,remove plastic and roll up the same as the first-push and form the visor and recess and smooth out,some ends go around it-trim off with a very sharp stanley knife or similar.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hmm id love to hear more from people who have done this themself.
i know pulling the roof lining out of my commodore looks scarey, hence why its the only thing left attached to the car lol.

i would s**t bricks if i pull it out cuase im not sure if i could put it back in :S

please please please let there be people here who can give us confidence to do it at home :D

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next