Sagging Roof lining 

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Sagging Roof lining
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

misk_one wrote:
hmm id love to hear more from people who have done this themself.
i know pulling the roof lining out of my commodore looks scarey, hence why its the only thing left attached to the car lol.

i would s**t bricks if i pull it out cuase im not sure if i could put it back in :S

please please please let there be people here who can give us confidence to do it at home :D

done 3 commo sedans,4 ford sedans,they come out the reardoors and back in the same way,for around 50 bucks whats the hold up---its only time you have and be neat,i carried a fairlaine roof liner in my ltd loose in my car above my head for over a 100ks trip,so a loose one is ok :lol: :lol: :lol: bite the bullet---------fix it.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

good s**t!
can you go into a bit more details for me mate? :)
im good at picking up s**t as i go along, but i dont want to get halfway and figure out i either need something, or realise that the part i just pulled off isnt supposed to be pulled off cause it wont go back in - ever again lol

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:33 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

for those who have done it, what brand backing and glue do you recommend? I was thinking, while I am looking at doing my own liner again, never having done it previously, I want know what to ask for and where to get it. Looking at getting a mate to come over and help and photo the proceedure, sort of a refresh of the tec doco that no longer has pics.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
for those who have done it, what brand backing and glue do you recommend? I was thinking, while I am looking at doing my own liner again, never having done it previously, I want know what to ask for and where to get it. Looking at getting a mate to come over and help and photo the proceedure, sort of a refresh of the tec doco that no longer has pics.

go to a car uphostery place in your area and buy the material,they know the colour and how much required,2 options-1 buy 2ltrs of his glue and use your spray gun or 2 buy spray cans of glue\3 if larger than sedan or not sure.the backing is glued to the material as new-thats the foam that breaks down with age and has to be cleaned off-yellow \orange\burnt colour and is messy,the rest i have said,pull off the visors,rear mirror,interior lights,grab handles and upper door pinch weld moulds and plastic trims in the rear can be left on,push it forward to releaseand ease the sides out,BUT some models 94 fords and under use black push plugs on sides \front and rear to locate andhold it up and have to remove the plastic upper trim covers,you will see what i mean,throw all screws in a container,they are different and remember the strip down,i push the rear in first to locate it then the light to hold it up,then a few screws in the front,the holes are there so just line it up and replace it-will take longer than the strip,until you line up 4-5 points.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

if anyones interested im selling a rooflining out of an ef for $80.in great condition and not sagging

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Falcon

NSW, Australia

misk_one wrote:
hmm id love to hear more from people who have done this themself.
i know pulling the roof lining out of my commodore looks scarey, hence why its the only thing left attached to the car lol.

i would s**t bricks if i pull it out cuase im not sure if i could put it back in :S

please please please let there be people here who can give us confidence to do it at home :D

it is quite easy to do by yourself if u have the confidence to do so. i hav never previously removed one of these. I did it myself and it was pretty easy and straight forward to do. part of the cost of geting these linings fixed is removeing them and refitting. since i had already removed it myself it was cheaper. All i used was 1 screwdriver and a pair of tea spoons!! lol. It cant be much different for commodores rooflinings to be pulled out.

EF XR6, Red in colour, T5 with short shift, tired LSD, Pioneer head unit, 2.5 exhaust with staino pacemakers, 68mm TB, dumped on ultras, sitting on FTR's with EL bodykits

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks guys.
ive got a week off this week, so ill attack it and see how i go :)

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

Mine cost me 20 bucks for a series 2 roof liner and 90 to get it retrimmed in a black material

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

got my ef done last year cost 280, the done all the work, i just done the vn crummidore and it cost me $100, i pulled it out,cleaned it off , pretty easy, took it to them they put new material which had a foam backing to it, looked really nice and professional, i then put it back in, and it looks like new
imho the best way to do it if you want to save some money, i was quoted 280 to 300 for the vn, ended up costing me 100

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Mine headlining is drooping so much now, it's rubbed the hair off the top of my head :lol: thats my excuse anyway! :lol: easy fix i now where a cap whilst driving :D once rego is outta the way headlining is next item.

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I heard that smoking in your car can cause it to sag? ... I don't know if this is true or not, But thinking about it, there is a enough nasty stuff in ciggy's and driving with the window down, prob can cause sagging....

I need to do a NL and a EL, both red coloured mind you, my silver NL has never started to sag. wonder if its something to do with darker colours?? ..

Being good with sewing etc, and done a lot of work with fabric, im going to give it a go first in the EL, Im going to use fabric spray glue from spotlight (one of my fav shops! :P ) and see how that goes, see, from what I can gather, most of the damn foam from the roof lining falls down the a-pillar cover and seems to end up in the air con vents, unless there is more foam behind the dash I don't know about?? ...

Laticia .. P.S. hopefully do the EL this weekend, will do a before and after shot for you, and let you know how I go with fabic spray glue ..

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Cool book my Cardinal red NF in too! :lol: :lol: :lol:

XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

girls brushing thier hair cause it ,
i just redid mine using spotlight vinyl and shellys quikgrip the upside down one

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

mystro wrote:
girls brushing thier hair cause it ,
i just redid mine using spotlight vinyl and shellys quikgrip the upside down one

Well I aint no shiela and I aint got much hair either, cant be that! :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

aye but have you owned it since new ?

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next