Fordmods Logo

Sagging Roof lining 

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: Sagging Roof lining
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 Ford Eb Series 2

effalconxr6 wrote:
the roof lining in my ef is sagging on the drivers side above the drivers seat. i dont know what causes it and i dont know how to fix the problem. i hav been told that it can be fixd by certain pple with the know how and equipment, is this true?
it started out as the size of a 50 cent piece and now it has spread to almost halfway to the otherside of the roof.
WTF?

Dont bother spending hundreds of bucks, Go to a hardware place or something and buy a Material adhesive spray can. When you spray it on it's really sticky as hell but it drys quick & extremely strong hold, just firmly press on the roof lining and make sure its straight as you do it & i bet you will have no more problems with it. probs like 20$ just found it in my shed and thought hell yeh im using this, no point taking another head lining out or paying big bucks when u get a can for 20$ 8-)

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:38 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

FordEb'L'unatic wrote:
effalconxr6 wrote:
the roof lining in my ef is sagging on the drivers side above the drivers seat. i dont know what causes it and i dont know how to fix the problem. i hav been told that it can be fixd by certain pple with the know how and equipment, is this true?
it started out as the size of a 50 cent piece and now it has spread to almost halfway to the otherside of the roof.
WTF?

Dont bother spending hundreds of bucks, Go to a hardware place or something and buy a Material adhesive spray can. When you spray it on it's really sticky as hell but it drys quick & extremely strong hold, just firmly press on the roof lining and make sure its straight as you do it & i bet you will have no more problems with it. probs like 20$ just found it in my shed and thought hell yeh im using this, no point taking another head lining out or paying big bucks when u get a can for 20$ 8-)

hmmmm sounds like i might just do this, did you have too replace the foam?

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 Ford Eb Series 2

gasdea wrote:
FordEb'L'unatic wrote:
effalconxr6 wrote:
WTF?

i havn't actually done this method quite yet i dont even know whats above the roof lining material itself so i would have to suss it out but more then likely i would take out the lining material and then spray the adhesive on then nicely start to lay out the roof lining. I tested the spray against the shed & your fingers literally get stuck to the shed and have to rip em off :shock:

hmmmm sounds like i might just do this, did you have too replace the foam?

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Just had mine done for $180 in the NF took the guy 2-3 hrs drive-in come back later, I didn't break anything , so I'm happy with that!

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BAII XR6T

NSW, Australia

i also used a $15 can of material spray from spotlight, and it fixed my sagging roof in the AU, and as its for material it doesnt leave any marks or seeps through the material.

FOR SALE BAII XR6 TURBO

Build Thread StrawbZ AU XR6 & BAII XR6T

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:42 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 98 XH2 Ute

VIC, Australia

StrawbZ wrote:
i also used a $15 can of material spray from spotlight, and it fixed my sagging roof in the AU, and as its for material it doesnt leave any marks or seeps through the material.

mate did this too. you can get a can or tube for under $20 from spotlight or any other upholstery store and works well. even in the rough country sun where he is it still is in tact.

98 XH 5 Speed
BA 17"s, BA Short Shifter, 2.5" Mandrel Bent Redback, More To Come!
98 XH 5 Speed - http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/a-bone-s-98-xh-5-speed-t98900.html

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:43 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

StrawbZ wrote:

mate did this too. you can get a can or tube for under $20 from spotlight or any other upholstery store and works well. even in the rough country sun where he is it still is in tact.

98 XH 5 Speed
98 XH 5 Speed - http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/a-bone-s-98-xh-5-speed-t98900.html

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:44 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

StrawbZ wrote:

98 XH 5 Speed

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon GLI

NSW, Australia

I fixed mine with custom material from spotlight blue veluer and a couple of tins of selly's qwik grip and a good eye for detail and some patience was a piece of pie

95 ef gli: SRE built 4.0L stock car speedway reg motor, pacey comp headers high flow cat and 2 and a half inch catback by berkeley, 18x8 chrome wheels, lowered king springs, btr trans and lsd buy preston auto's, 3" di fillipo intake ss induction large welded rad, 255cc injectors and much more.

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:41 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford eb

VIC, Australia

Until I get around to fixing it properly, I just put a small (but strong) magnet in the middle of where it began to sag. It pulled the sagging section of lining up and has stopped the sagging section getting bigger for now. Unfortunately, my lining is beyond gluing. The backing sponge has turned to mush and as soon as you touch it, it compresses to a sticky goo.

Last edited by Echobot on Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:42 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AUII XR ute

VIC, Australia

You can stop the headlining from degrading further if it is coming away from edges by glueing it back. I masked off the areas so no glue over-spray and sprayed the backing, let it tack off and gently evened back the fabric into place. Ford's subcontractor supplying the headlining cut off the edges leaving it raw rather than turning it under, raw edges always degrade and look rubbish from a professional point of view.

I used 3M super 74 foam spray adhesive in a spray can, used to be about 18 bucks.
The headlining material will be sold by any reputable Automotive trimmer supply along with the adhesive. My former occupation was an upholsterer with auto trimming experience thrown into the mix.
Bill

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:32 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: fairlane sportsman

VIC, Australia

hi i,m in melbourne south and they are charging $280 - $320 to fix

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4