Fordmods Logo

Smart lock or something else 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Smart lock or something else
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon EF

NSW, Australia

Having some problems starting my ef falcon some times Cranks over but does not start I can hear my fuel pump making its noise was reading around and read that the smart lock cuts the fuel pump and spark. Is it my smart lock or could it be something else. The smart lock has been staying on some times on the dash.

Post subject: Re: Smart lock or something else
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Try bumping the dash above your left knee while holding the key to crank when it wont fire...

If it fires then it's your smart lock module... One of the relays in there goes sticky internally and bumping the dash helps it change state...

On the ED it has the same problem but the module it separate from the body module where on EF/El it is one module... I found the relay and it happened to be two relays in the one package which was a mirror... So I unsoldered it, turned it around 180 degrees and soldered it back in... Works fine...

Other option was to unsolder it and replace with two new small series generic relays and run wire tails to the PCB...

Or you can try your luck with the wreckers, but as they age the relays all wear out... A relay may have a mechanical life of 100,000 actuations... If the car does 300,000km then there is a lot of starts in there and the little relay has probably done it's job fairly well...

Pretty sure smartlock wont cut the fuel pump... May cut the injector pulse and spark...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Wagon 4.0L

QLD, Australia

could be a BCM issue? dry solder joints wreak havoc when it comes to starting/smartlock etc. I had the same problem with my EF Fairlane.

My cars don't advertise for Unit, Metal Mulisha, Loosekid Industries, Inverted, Famous stars & straps crap, R.M. Williams, Fusion, DC Shoes or the Transformers.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:15 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

How'd you fix it?

I've never seen a single dry solder joint out of all the faulty Smartlock modules I've seen... Only ever cactus relays...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Wagon 4.0L

QLD, Australia

I just went over every joint with a small tip on a soldering iron and with a little flux, went over all the joints on the PCB, It seemed to have fixed it but to tell you the truth, I didn't even think of a faulty relay. If the BCM plays up again, I will be changing relay/s.
Thanks

My cars don't advertise for Unit, Metal Mulisha, Loosekid Industries, Inverted, Famous stars & straps crap, R.M. Williams, Fusion, DC Shoes or the Transformers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]