Fordmods Logo

Smartlock Theory 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Smartlock Theory
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

I'm sure there have been plenty of people that have had the same theory as I'm about to explain regarding Smartlock. I couldn't find anything relating to my theory and it's new to me so I thought I'd post it up in case it may be of some help to others.

The Smartlock system in my EL Fairmont wagon only plays up during the hot weather, It goes into a repetitive cycle that can last from 30 seconds to 3 minutes before stopping (Usually with the doors being unlocked).
Now for my theory....
If the Smartlock system works as it should in the cooler weather and plays up during the hotter weather then that would mean the actuators are all working perfectly. The Smartlock module on the otherhand, Being under the dash may become a little overheated and that could be the cause of the whole problem.

I may very well be barking up the wrong tree here so I'd like to know what others think.

Post subject: Re: Smartlock Theory
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hi Mate.

It should be noted that Smartlock, and the Remote Central locking systems, while housed in the one box, are actually completely separate systems.

Smartlock is the security built in to prevent (not very well) the vehicle being started and driven away.

The BCM stores a code, and when the correct signal is sent from the Ignition it tells the ECU to start the car by sending it a special signal.

The issue you are describing is usually related to a dodgy master central locking motor, found on both front doors, which do get worse in hot weather.

The solution is to replace them with know working ones, or substitute in an after market system.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Many thanks for the reply BenJ.
I purchased a set of brand new genuine Ford front actuators off ebay yesterday so when they arrive I'll put them in and fingers crossed I will have the problem fixed. I also bought a second hand tailgate actuator from the local wreckers yard too...It has been tested and also comes with a 3 month warranty.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

We had this problem with my wife's Fairmont. I bought a set of 4 of the latest updated actuators to replace them all, but before installing them I replaced the drivers door lock mechanism as it was notchy when lifting the handle to open the door, and that fixed the problem. So now I have 4 actuators I don't need.

At least it got me out of doing the work :)

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Last edited by MAD on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:30 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2010 G6E

VIC, Australia

yeah i had the same problem in my el last summer with the cycles, and my bcm wouldn't allow me to start the car without some bashing to knock some sense into it, only in summer but, the one thing i done was pull the bcm apart, pull the cover off, and run the soldering iron across some of the solders, sorta freshen them up a bit, haven't had a problem since. fingers crossed, lol.

be good or be good at it.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

teeroy wrote:
yeah i had the same problem in my el last summer with the cycles, and my bcm wouldn't allow me to start the car without some bashing to knock some sense into it, only in summer but, the one thing i done was pull the bcm apart, pull the cover off, and run the soldering iron across some of the solders, sorta freshen them up a bit, haven't had a problem since. fingers crossed, lol.

Did you end up replacing the actuators too or just work on the BCM?

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2010 G6E

VIC, Australia

revcore wrote:
teeroy wrote:

Did you end up replacing the actuators too or just work on the BCM?

sorryf or late reply, no notifications, but nah just worked on the bcm, running the solder over a few of the solder points, any that looked thin i added a little bit more to.
seems to have done the job, but only this summer will tell.

be good or be good at it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]