Fordmods Logo

So someone tried to break into my car... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: So someone tried to break into my car...
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:15 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

EDIT: I just realized this might be in the wrong forum. Would a mod be able to move it if it is?

...and broke my power window motor+knocked the window off the track. Somehow. I don't know how he managed it, but he ran off after someone saw him trying to get in. All I want to know is how easy a replacement job is to do myself versus how expensive it is to get it done by a mechanic. I need the window to work asap. My budget is about $500. Cheers guys.

The window won't go ANY higher than that, and I've had to use tape to hold it up, otherwise it falls.

4.0L Tickford six, 1645b E-series custom grind, MLS gasket, performance valve springs, 3" stainless intake, extractors, 2.5" Lukey, 100cpi hi-flow, T5 manual, J3 tune.

Post subject: Re: So someone tried to break into my car...
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Take the door trim off and inspect what the issue is. Once you have found what the actual problem is get back to us.
If its just the window reg ( comes with motor and track as one) its a fiddly job but should cost no more than $50 at the wreckers. Pay a mechanic to do it with a new one and you might be up for a couple of hundred.
Check out what wrong first dude by taking off the trim

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:15 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Hopefully its just come of the track. Changing the window regs is a pain in the a***. They are also riveted onto the door.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:20 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Power: 12 rwkw

SA, Australia

Also buy a cricket/baseball bat and some six inch long nails. Or a crossbow.

EL Mont- mods: 2.5" catback, clear indicator repeaters.

Planned mods: Boooooooooooooossssssssst :D

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

buckets4LTR wrote:
Also buy a cricket/baseball bat and some six inch long nails. Or a crossbow.

All illegal mate. A decent wheel brace is legal and will crush a blokes skull with one blow or separate his jaw from his face

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Take the trim off.

Make sure the glass is in the runners still. It will be I'd say.

Push the glass all the way up and jam something underneath it to prop it up. A piece of wood or steel.

You will likely need a new window reg. I can sell you one but you would need to fit it.

To swap them over, you drill out the three rivets holding the motor. Then undo a few bolts, unplug the reg and pull it from the door. Refit the new one using rivets, nuts and bolts or bolts and speed nuts on the reg.

Lastly, get a garage!

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Take the trim off.

Make sure the glass is in the runners still. It will be I'd say.

Push the glass all the way up and jam something underneath it to prop it up. A piece of wood or steel.

You will likely need a new window reg. I can sell you one but you would need to fit it.

To swap them over, you drill out the three rivets holding the motor. Then undo a few bolts, unplug the reg and pull it from the door. Refit the new one using rivets, nuts and bolts or bolts and speed nuts on the reg.

Lastly, get a garage!

And like EB said its a bit of a pain in the a** but Id rather have the pain than pay someone to do it for me. Last quote I got for a reg change was in a Tj Magna...... $700 he wanted

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just pulled the door trim off and took a look. The window still seems like it's connected to the motor itself, and has decided it'll still go down, but it won't go back up (and still won't go any higher than it is in the photo no matter what.)

I noticed a wire with a sort of metal bolt of sorts on the end is moving loosely though (it sort of looks like the brake cord on a bicycle.) Is this supposed to be connected to something?

4.0L Tickford six, 1645b E-series custom grind, MLS gasket, performance valve springs, 3" stainless intake, extractors, 2.5" Lukey, 100cpi hi-flow, T5 manual, J3 tune.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

f**k cable then mate... Time for a replacement regulator.
Im not saying get this ebay listed one, but it has some good pic's of what it should look like so you have something to use as a reference.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-EA-EB-E ... 43a31ae9e2

Last edited by 79 raven on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

xELFalconx wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I just pulled the door trim off and took a look. The window still seems like it's connected to the motor itself, and has decided it'll still go down, but it won't go back up (and still won't go any higher than it is in the photo no matter what.)

I noticed a wire with a sort of metal bolt of sorts on the end is moving loosely though (it sort of looks like the brake cord on a bicycle.) Is this supposed to be connected to something?

Lower the window until you can see the window holder. Remove the bolts holding the window to the winder. Manually push the window up and get someone to either hold it up, or tape it to the door frame temporarily. Remove the motor/winder assembly, you'll have to drill out the rivets if it has never been done before. Also a few bolts that hold the winder rail. Once that is out, inspect the cable...it may have come loose off the pulley guide. You might be able to salvage it by running the cable back onto the pulley, however it might be stuffed, you won't know till you pull it out.

If it is stuffed, get a piece of timber or steel rod as mentioned before and prop up the window from inside the door. Remove the sticky tape...it will only make a target for opportunistic thieves.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]