Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Starter button in el
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Hey all

I got a starter button for my el but not sure how to wire it in, I have an idea.
I have a workshop manual which isn't much help. Do I just find the ignition wire and tap the switch into it do I need a relay ?

If anyone has done this to their ef/el did they come across any problems ?

Cheers

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Post subject: Re: Starter button in el
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AUII XR8 Pursuit & EF XR6

NSW, Australia

Why a push starter button? If its security then just go a kill switch tucked away but easy enough to get to. If you wanted a push button start car you should of bought a Prius or something alike. lol

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well I was at Jaycar getting speaker wire and I seen this push button start. Then I was thinking it would be pretty cool looking lol

Not for security. Just looks. Negative comments aside I need info on this guys

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

jughead302 wrote:
Why a push starter button? If its security then just go a kill switch tucked away but easy enough to get to. If you wanted a push button start car you should of bought a Prius or something alike. lol

Nothing wrong with a start button...might be annoying me think. Can act like a kill switch depending if it's stealth or hidden. If it's stupidly obvious then forget about the kill switch option.

If it's just for show, I guess it would be a nuisance after a while and the novelty wears off.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I still want to be able to start the car with the key and button.

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Someone must know how I can install a starter button ?

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

do you want the key in the barrel and tuned to ignition then press starter button?

You can also wire it in so that when the car is running and you press starter button, it wont throw the starter.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I figured it out and wired it up and it works, just gotta tidy it up a bit and add fuses ,

I used a test light and found out which wire has power when the motor is cranked. It's the black and
Red wire, then I spliced into that wire and the wire spliced off it I probed the back of the plug and when it touched the green wire it kicked over.
So the Red/black wire is connected with a button switch in the middle. I put my key into IGN then push the button and she starts. Tomorrow I'll tidy it up with solder and add fuses just incase, I'll put up pics also for anyone interested in this mod,

Does anyone know what amp fuse the ignition uses ?

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
jughead302 wrote:

Nothing wrong with a start button...might be annoying me think. Can act like a kill switch depending if it's stealth or hidden. If it's stupidly obvious then forget about the kill switch option.

If it's just for show, I guess it would be a nuisance after a while and the novelty wears off.

The novelty would wear off...

Esp when you have both the key and the button to start like the OP wants... Why you you turn the key to on... stop and reach with the other hand to press a start button...

You talk to anyone who owns a FPV where the car does not start with the key... Its more a PITA than a novelty...

All that aside... Your workshop manual should be a world of help... IIRC the jaycar switch is rated at 50amps (bought one for a mates race car)... So should have no issues pulling the starter relay, which I jguess pulles in the starter solenoid which powers the motor... Double check that in your book...

If that as all the start position powers you would only have to go from common to start...

You will need a relay which needs to be powered from the "on" position on the barrel so that the button is in-operative with the key removed...

Without it, pressing the button will make the motor crank (wont start though)

Other option is... pick up from "on" contact on the barrel and bridge button across to "start" terminal... This alleviates the relay... button only has power when key is "on" this way... Shouldn't require a relay... As long as the switch is rated at whatever load it is switching...

Second issue (like go_fish stated)... is no doubt your doing it to show it off... so you'll want it to be disactivated when the engine is going... (otherwise your best mate may see the funny side of throwing you starter in while you're driving...)

This will require a relay and you'll need to pick up of the alt light wire out of the alternator... use it to trigger a small relay (not sure how much current you can actually draw off this wire) and then use that relay to drive a std 40amp relay which will cut the power from the "on" wire to your switch...

other option here is to use a transistor... the alt light wire drives a transistor which switches a relay (less clutter)...

that makes it idiot proof...

while you're going you may as well hook the light in the switch up off the alt light wire... Hence when the car is stopped the button illuminates... While running it isn't illuminated...

Food for thought...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Mine doesn't start if I push the button and the key is removed, is the set up I have a good way or do I need a relay ?

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

while the car is running you will be able to engage the starter... as you can with the key... the thing a passenger cannot reach your key... it is easy however for them to press your starter button to see the "what if" factor of it all...

its not bad... but if someone hits it you may find teeth missing from various places...

for a fuse rating... use your workshop manual... find the starting section... trace it back to see which fuse it runs off... if you picked up off ignition wires with the same gauge wire that the factory ones are you should not need to put another fuse in it... All you have done is mimicked the start position in the key with a press button in the dash...

One thing I was interested in was the "key to start" thing in modern cars...

Where you'd hit the key and release it and it cranks until the car fires...

good in theory... but undecided in practise...

be fine in an auto... but in a manual with no inhibitor switch... if you leave it in gear and hit the key she will take off... so hence I have never ventured into it... If I was to do it the saftey thing would be in the clutch pedal... if your doing that... may as just hold down the key til it starts...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I am using the same gauge wire as the ignition is ran off so I won't need a fuse then.I havnt really thought much into the safety side of it. I'll just have to tell passengers not to press the big red button lol
By the time I stuff around with safety switches and what not it's not worth having a push button start. But I'll see how it goes

Thanks for your help

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EF Falcon

SA, Australia

Hey mate do you have the photos of the wiring you did?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]