SWAPPING BA FALCON STEERING WHEELS 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: SWAPPING BA FALCON STEERING WHEELS
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: interceptor

QLD, Australia

I RECENTLY SWAPPED THE VINYL WHEEL FOR A LEATHER COVERED WHEEL FROM A FAIRLANE,HERES HOW WE DID IT
****DISCLAIMER-I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF THE AIRBAG DEPLOYS AND CAUSES INJURY OR CAUSES DAMAGE.IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT YOUR SKILLS TO DO THIS SWAP,PLEASE TAKE IT TO FORD OR CONSULT WITH A MECHANIC.AIRBAGS ARE AN EXPLOSIVE DEVICE,AND SHOULD BE HANDLED AS SUCH****

1-DISCONNECT THE BATTERY(10mm SPANNER)

2-TURN STEERING WHEEL FROM STRAIGHT,TO 90 DEGREES,AS THERE ARE 2 T30 TORX BOLTS THAT CAN ONLY BE ACCSESED FROM THE TOP OF THE STEERING COLUMN SHROUD,ON THE BACK OF THE STEERING WHEEL.THESE WILL NOT COME ALL THE WAY OUT,AS THEY HAVE A STOPPER FOR THAT REASON.DO 1 SIDE,THEN TURN THE WHEEL THE OTHER WAY,REPEAT.THE AIRBAG CAN NOW BE CAREFULLY PULLED OFF THE STEERING WHEEL,BE CAREFUL,AS THERE IS WIRING ON THE BACK OF THE AIRBAG
[img]

3-DISCONNECT THE AIRBAG AND STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS.THERE IS 1 BIG CONNECTOR FOR THE HAND CONTROLS(RADIO,CRUISE,ETC),AND 2 SMALLER CONNECTIONS FOR THE AIRBAG(1 IS BLACK,1 IS WHITE),PLACE AIRBAG OUT OF THE WAY
*NOTE-AIRBAGS ARE AN EXPLOSIVE DEVISE*
[/img]

4-NOW,THERE IS ANOTHER TORX BOLT IN THE CENTRE OF THE WHEEL-ITS SIZE IS A T50 TORX BIT,UNDO IT ANTI-CLOCKWISE AND REMOVE
[img]

5-TAKE THE OLD WHEEL OFF,EITHER BY USING A STEERING WHEEL REMOVER TOOL,OR BY WIGGLING THE WHEEL TOWARDS YOU.YOU CAN SEE THE WIRING RUNS THRU A HOLE IN THE TOP OF THE WHEEL.BE CAREFUL THAT IT DOESNT GET CAUGHT OR DAMAGED(TAKE YOUR TIME)

6-THE WHEEL I BOUGHT DID NOT COME WITH THE 2X T30 TORX BOLTS,SO WE REMOVED THEM OFF THE OLD WHEEL-YOU CAN SEE LITTLE PLASTIC RINGS THAT STOPS THEM FALLING OUT(DONT LOSE THE SPRINGS EITHER)PAIR OF PLIERS DID THE TRCIK,PUT THE TORX BOLTS THRU THE BACK OF THE NEW WHEEL,AND PLACE PLASTIC RINGS ON THE GROOVE

7-PLACE THE NEW WHEEL ON.FEED WIRING THRU THE HOLE,THE BEST PART HERE IS THE WHEEL CAN ONLY GO ON 1 WAY,SO NO FINE TUNING AS WITH BOSS KITS. :D PLACE A DAB OF LOCTITE ON THE T50 BOLT,AND TIGHTEN CLOCKWISE-NOT TOO TIGHT!
[/img]

8-CONNECT THE WIRING BACK UP.ITS PREETY EASY,AS THE AIRBAG WIRING ONLY GOES ON 1 WAY(BLACK TO BLACK,WHITE TO WHITE),ALSO DO THE CONTROLS(THE BIG PLUG).ENSURE WIRING IS NOT IN THE WAY OF THE TORX BOLTS,AND THE AIRBAG MODULE CAN NOW BE CLIPPED INTO PLACE(DONT BASH INTO PLACE,JUST FIRMLY PRESS)TIGHTEN THE 2X T30 TORX BOLTS UP,SAME WAY THAT YOU UNDONE THEM.GIVE THE WHEEL A QUICK CHECK OVER,MAKE SURE THAT EVERYTHING IS GRAVY :lol:

9-RECONNECT THE BATTERY AND RESET YOUR AUDIO SYSTEM.
[img][img][/img]

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Good work, but your a bit late! :wink:

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39186

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: interceptor

QLD, Australia

meh,ya get that when you work out town for weeks on en :lol:

Post subject: .
Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

I tell ya what be carefull or you will end up on hwy666 ALWAYS remove the airbag fuse before playing with any srs components as bags can still go kapow with just the battery disconnected

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion
THERE IS NO TIME FOR PATIENCE

Post subject: Re: .
Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

nlbxr6 wrote:
I tell ya what be carefull or you will end up on hwy666 ALWAYS remove the airbag fuse before playing with any srs components as bags can still go kapow with just the battery disconnected

not true mate.
im a ford mechanic and the ford approved method of disabling the airbag system to remove componants is to disconnect the battery and wait one minute before disconnecting anything.

Post subject: Re: SWAPPING BA FALCON STEERING WHEELS
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ba xr8 ute

NSW, Australia

by the black and white plugs you mean directly on the airbag

Post subject: Re: SWAPPING BA FALCON STEERING WHEELS
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG MK 2 XR6

WA, Australia

Did this to the BF today and with the right tools (torx bits) took me half an our. The moment of butt freeze ccame when pulling out the airbag module and disconnecting the two plugs. Happy to report no black eyes. I removed the airbag fuse after disconnecting the battery just to make sure.

Interesting the User Manual states that the airbag is only functional when ignition is ON, it will not operate when only accessories or no keys are in...I wasn't game to be the lab bunny with that scenario.

The FPV style wheel from Autotek feels soooooooo much nicer in my hands and really raises the feel of the C**k. Best money ever spent.

Nice instructions from the OP. I initially tried using Allen keys and flat head screw driver but got nowhere...particularly the main 50 size bolt. $30 worth of Torx tools from Bunnings made the job one of the simplest mods after fitting scuff plates and a K&N panel filter. :wink:

Too many Fords and too much cash "invested" over the years.

New Project: Daily Cruiser, FG Mk 2 XR6 NA , headers, CAI, tuned, 238rwhp and counting.

Engine build in progress.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]