Fordmods Logo

TINT, how dark can i go 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BFII XR6T & ED

SA, Australia

We had this a few weeks ago, so I searched for the rules and posted it as everyone had been told some thing different. Take a car with tint through Regency and you will know exactly what I am on about.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA/G ute, EB XR6,

WA, Australia

WA is 35% my wagon has 20% on it n i have no troubles but like every1 says it depends on the cop, but i know for certain over here 35% of light must be able to get through the windows

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA/G ute, EB XR6,

WA, Australia

WA is 35% my wagon has 20% on it n i have no troubles but like every1 says it depends on the cop, but i know for certain over here 35% of light must be able to get through the windows

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

adelaide_ed wrote:
just found this:

The Australasian Branch of the International Window Film Association has lobbied for approval for tinting of front
side windows of cars down to a level such that 35% of incident visible light is transmitted through to the driver.
South Australia currently has a minimum level of visible light transmittance of 70% for front side windows. This
Report explores the safety implications of the proposed greater levels of tinting on front side windows and
concludes that road safety would be adversely affected by allowing such a move.

Pulled that from here. http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/reports/CASR002.pdf 13 pages of s**t to go through, but it gave the answer. I stand corrected though, I thought it was 35% blockout but its only 30%.

like i said before, this is the opposite terminology to what tint places use. when they say 35% they are talking the amount of light that is transmitted after tinting. the law states the percentage of light that is allowed to be blocked. in the case of south australia that is 30%. that is pretty much what they come with from factory.

try take a car with tint through regency and you will know all about it. my eb failed and it came with a n.s.w. road worthy that was apparently only good for keeping me warm in winter.

legal tint on front side windows in window tinter speak is 70%

having said that, as long as you don't go ridiculously dark or draw attention to yourself then you will be o.k. cops these days will look for anything to write you up even if its not why they pulled you over in the first place.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: 04BA XR8 & 06Territory Ghia

VIC, Australia

if u get a doctors certificate saying ur a vampire they might let u leave it on worth a try :P

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BFII XR6T & ED

SA, Australia

^^ :roll:

Let's go back to the start......was the tint all you got done for turbofairmont?

I've had 35% in the ED for ever now, and never had it questioned. Even if it does have to come off for some unfortunate reason it is only two piss easy windows for the tinters to redo so care factor is almost non-existant, more of an inconvience. The XF before that was darker and got me done twice, p plates could have had a big part in that too! If your defect was only for tint you should have been able to turn up at the local traffic cop station and get it cleared there yeah?

prydey - did the give you a blade to rip it there and then so you could pass, or send away and made you come back? 90% of the time they will give you a blade to do it there in the shed. They dont care about the glue, just the film.

It's never until Regency that the front windows come into play, unless you have gone darker than normal or reflective to draw attention. Going on all the defect stickers I've see getting around at the moment they seem more interested in low rider commodore utes than us anyway.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i wasn't given a blade and i was told it all had to come off. only had 19% light transmission all round. i questioned whether i just needed to do the fronts and they said it all had to go. i then had to bring it back to pass. i wasn't defected, i was merely trying to change rego over to s.a. reg as i bought the car in sydney.

the question at the start of the thread was 'how dark can i go'.

legally - about 70%

realistically, 35% shouldn't create any trouble for you. i had 20% on my last wagon (pic in gallery) and never had anyone look twice. all comes down to how you drive when there's bluey's around. have a look around at the cars with tint. plenty of dark ones.

my brothers car has mafia tint on his car and it passed through regency no worries. oh, i forgot to mention its a stagea and has u.v cut glass 8-) .

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2