TINT, how dark can i go 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: TINT, how dark can i go
Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF SERIES II FAIRMONT

SA, Australia

Hey guys, i had to take my tint of my ef fairmont to go through the defect station cause it was too dark(the original owner put it on). What is a legal percentage as i was told that the glass on ef's are not 100% clear they are 70%.

please help cause its bloody hot without tint.

TURBOFAIRMONT

FORD 1996 EF FAIRMONT ARGON SILVER
18 INCH GT-P WHEELS
POWERCHIP,AWESOME STEREO,MONSTER FLOW POD FILTER
KYB LOWERED SHOCKs & KINGSPRING SUPERLOWS
XTRACTORS 2.5 INCH PIPES HI-FLOW CAT SML STRAIGHT THRU MUFF TWIN TIPS
DBA STREET SERIES SLOTTED ROTORS
*IT'S MY PRIDE & JOY*

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

35% is the legal tint.

that means 35% of the light gets thru

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Ive got 20% on mine, Ive been pulled over a fair bit and the fuzz dont say anything about it, but if I come across a cop in a s**t mood he would prob bust my a***.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF SERIES II FAIRMONT

SA, Australia

the thing is, when i was pulled over i was defected for tint as well. the tint is 35% but it has a slight mirror reflection.

FORD 1996 EF FAIRMONT ARGON SILVER
18 INCH GT-P WHEELS
POWERCHIP,AWESOME STEREO,MONSTER FLOW POD FILTER
KYB LOWERED SHOCKs & KINGSPRING SUPERLOWS
XTRACTORS 2.5 INCH PIPES HI-FLOW CAT SML STRAIGHT THRU MUFF TWIN TIPS
DBA STREET SERIES SLOTTED ROTORS
*IT'S MY PRIDE & JOY*

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BFII XR6T & ED

SA, Australia

It's not allowed to be mirrored at all. That would have been why the cops picked it, as look at every second car running around with 35% tint. Half them got it from the car yard when they bought their cars!

The limits on the front and rear windows are different, well here is SA anyway. That is why you always see government cars ith light front windows and dark rears. It been a while since I have had to worry about it, the fronts used to be 35% blockout and the rears 75% blockout to get through Regency. There is a windscreen place straight across from Regency that makes a killing just for being there. Defect off, drive straight across the road, tint back on your two front windows and your home within the hour.

The safety film in the windows will block out up to 17%. Add your standard 35% tint to the safety tint and your already over on the fronts. You can try to show them the stickers on the windows, most cops will accept them, but not Regency. They have the light gauge and soon tell you exactly what yours is.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Was told of a tinting mob in Adelaide that were sposed to be good...

Will do what you want,and stuff :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

On Main North RD,across the road from Jungry Hacks,before Regency RD

vik...On the left,heading north

[b]BANNED[\b]

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i don't really understand why its illegal to have dark tint but it's o.k to drive around with those window sock things on.

generally though no - one looks twice at tinted cars. my old wagon (pics in gallery) had 20 all round and i never had any trouble with the boys in blue. my current car i had to have stripped as i bought it in nsw and had to put it through regency to register it.

if you are really concerned, just ring up and find out exactly whats allowed as i've heard that many different rules from forum members and window tinters its hard to know what to believe.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

just found this:

The Australasian Branch of the International Window Film Association has lobbied for approval for tinting of front
side windows of cars down to a level such that 35% of incident visible light is transmitted through to the driver.
South Australia currently has a minimum level of visible light transmittance of 70% for front side windows. This
Report explores the safety implications of the proposed greater levels of tinting on front side windows and
concludes that road safety would be adversely affected by allowing such a move.

Pulled that from here. http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/reports/CASR002.pdf 13 pages of s**t to go through, but it gave the answer. I stand corrected though, I thought it was 35% blockout but its only 30%.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

ROAD TRAFFIC (VEHICLE STANDARDS) RULES 1999 - REG 44
44—Window tinting

(1) Glazing used in a windscreen of a motor vehicle must have a luminous transmittance of at least:

(a) for a motor vehicle built after 1971—75%; or

(b) for another motor vehicle—70%.

(2) Windscreen glazing of a motor vehicle must not be coated in a way that reduces its luminous transmittance.

(3) However, subrules (1) and (2) do not apply to the greater of the following areas of a windscreen:

(a) the area above the highest point of the windscreen that is swept by a windscreen wiper;

(b) the upper 10% of the windscreen.

(4) Glazing used in a window or interior partition of a motor vehicle must have a luminous transmittance of at least 70%.

(5) Glazing behind the rear of the driver's seat may be coated to achieve a luminous transmittance of not less than 35%.

(6) Glazing in a side window forward of the rear of the driver's seat may be coated to achieve a luminous transmittance of not less than 70% or, if another law of this jurisdiction allows a lesser luminous transmittance, the greater of:

(a) the lesser luminous transmittance allowed under the other law; and

(b) 35%.

(7) Glazing that has been coated to reduce its luminous transmittance must not have a reflectance of over 10%.

(8) The luminous transmittance requirements in subrules (5) and (6) apply to a vehicle instead of the corresponding requirements in the relevant ADR.

(9) In this rule:

"glazing" means material fitted to the front, sides, rear or interior of a vehicle, through which the driver can see the road, but does not include a coating added after manufacture of the material.

"luminous transmittance", for glazing, means the amount of light that can pass through the glazing as a percentage of the amount of light that would be transmitted if the glazing were absent.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon el xr6

NSW, Australia

it really depends on the cop. i have an xr ef and havn't touched the tinting. while i was being breath tested the cop told me to drive the car up a bit. he then told me off cos he couldnt see my p plate though it was on the inside. he said because of the window tint. so by this i do bielve that the ef's arnt 100% clear. but it really depends on how the cops feel.

glory glory manchester united,
pacies 2.5 exhaust
19inch typhoon rims
GT intake snorkel
superlows
lightened flywheel

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

this is a lot different to people saying that 35% is legal. most places quote the amount of light that is transmitted. the law says that only 30 - 35% of light is allowed to be blocked, meaning that 65 - 70% of light is to be transmitted.

most cars these days come with about as much tint as is legally allowed.

as long as your tint is not over the top i doubt cops will look twice though. too busy making sure you don't exceed the speed limit by 3km/h.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Mustang

NSW, Australia

adelaide_ed wrote:
It's not allowed to be mirrored at all. That would have been why the cops picked it, as look at every second car running around with 35% tint. Half them got it from the car yard when they bought their cars!

The limits on the front and rear windows are different, well here is SA anyway. That is why you always see government cars ith light front windows and dark rears. It been a while since I have had to worry about it, the fronts used to be 35% blockout and the rears 75% blockout to get through Regency. There is a windscreen place straight across from Regency that makes a killing just for being there. Defect off, drive straight across the road, tint back on your two front windows and your home within the hour.

The safety film in the windows will block out up to 17%. Add your standard 35% tint to the safety tint and your already over on the fronts. You can try to show them the stickers on the windows, most cops will accept them, but not Regency. They have the light gauge and soon tell you exactly what yours is.

Im pretty sure that in NSW the front windshield isnt allowed to be tinted at all.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

You should read what you quote.....dont remember saying anything about windshields (screens?)

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Mustang

NSW, Australia

adelaide_ed wrote:
You should read what you quote.....dont remember saying anything about windshields (screens?)

My bad, i thought when you said front and rear windows, you were also talking about windshiled and rear windshield (whatever its called)

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:44 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

in south australia legal tint is 32% and no lower cause the lower the percent the darker the tint will be

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next