Fordmods Logo

Trip Computer Help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

VIC, Australia

hi, i just bought a trip computer for my EF falcon gli , i got all the specs from fordmods , but i have no idea how to fit it as it needs extra 3 wires and i cant even get an auto electrician to fit it , they al tell me they dont do that sort of work , is anyone from melbourne who knows how to do it?? thank you

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

yeah its easy..
On the trip computer side CUT PIN2 (white). This is not needed. Then you need to add a few pins and this is where it gets tricky.

Pin 6. - Park Lamps Signal - Some suggestions on where to connect this line are either the Illuminated Rear Window Demits tor Button, (Brown Wire), or the Cigarette Lighter Illumination, (Brown Wire).

Pin 7. - Illumination Dimmer signal - Some suggestions on where to connect this line are either the Illuminated Rear Window Demits tor Button, (Dark Blue/ Red)
This line cannot be connected to the Cigarette Lighter Illumination, as this Illumination DOES NOT DIM, when the Dimmer switch is operated.

The data wire....
With the clip to the TOP count the top layer left ro right. you want the 4th pin (this is next to a blue wire) This has to be connected to pin 1. If you do not have the pins for the looms i have a few spare here. What i can do it post them to you with a sheet telling you what to do. E.g. put this pin there and piggy back it to this wire. And put this pin here to here. Easy. PM me if you want those pins and a sheet if there isnt anyone to help you.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:35 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: HSV GTS LS3

QLD, Australia

Speaking of plug pins, does anybody know where can I get some?

I am going to be installing a TC in an EF and EL very soon and of course want to do the best job possible.

Thanks

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:59 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Get another clock plug from the wreckers if you can't get a trip computer plug. The pins clip in to the plug with a plastic ‘finger’ holding each pin in place – if you ‘dissect’ your donor plug, you’ll see how this is set up.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I guessed as much with the 2nd hand plug but was unsure if you could buy them from a place like jaycar etc.

Appreciate your help.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

No probs - EF/EL clock plugs should be pretty plentiful.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Yeah I just bought a whole complete dash on Ebay locally for $50 so just took the cluster out to resell and cut the clock plug off the loom to use those pins.

Did the install today and all works as it should as using the pins I don't think you would ever have connection dramas....well I hope not.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]