Trip Computer Numbers Display Problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Trip Computer Numbers Display Problem
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 3x Toranas

SA, Australia

I have recently installed a trip computer to my EF, everything works fine except for one little flaw. The furthest right hand number of the trip computer has an intermittent problem of only showing half the number.. This usually happens on a couple of numbers like a 7 and 8, etc.

Has anyone come across this problem, is there anyway of fixing it, you LCD experts out there??

Thankyou

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:00 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ed farimont

NSW, Australia

just replace it.its not worth fixing mate.it`s the micro chip and display driver playing up.i hope that helps.stef

thanks guys

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

May be as easy as pulling it out and checking to make sure the rubber contacts are making proper contact - I say this especially since going off your sig youve changed the lighting colour....mine currently does this on the odometer....what happens if you press against the front (obviously not too hard tho) does the number return to normal ?

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Correct sir, I press it a little bit and the number appears.. It was doing it before, so I took it off and opened her up and tryed to connect it again, it was working fine for a sec, but maybe just moved again.. Any suggestions on how to keep the contact there by maybe using some other substance?
Thanks alot

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

TheAng wrote:
Correct sir, I press it a little bit and the number appears.. It was doing it before, so I took it off and opened her up and tryed to connect it again, it was working fine for a sec, but maybe just moved again.. Any suggestions on how to keep the contact there by maybe using some other substance?
Thanks alot

What are you using to in place of the orange/white semi transparent slide?
Just a single piece of white or blue paper..?

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Just a white bit of paper

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

TheAng wrote:
Just a white bit of paper

The issue their lies with normal grade paper isnt as thick as the standard semi-transparent one...u can try 2 pieces of paper..I will be doing this tonight or tomorrow to see if it will fix my similiar contact problem .. want to see whether or not that will impair on the light visibility tho.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
The issue their lies with normal grade paper isnt as thick as the standard semi-transparent one...u can try 2 pieces of paper..I will be doing this tonight or tomorrow to see if it will fix my similiar contact problem .. want to see whether or not that will impair on the light visibility tho.

No worries, try that and let me know.
Although behind my odometer, I have the same set up - a blue led, and a white bit of paper, and it works fine, no problems what-so-ever. Another thing, before I got my trip computer I had the same set up with my clock. No dramas there.. But the trip computer seems to have the problem.. But the thing is, it chooses itself when it want to not show half of the last number or not..
Well, trial and error I reckon, when I get a chance i'll take it off again and try other things.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

TheAng wrote:
Big Kev wrote:

No worries, try that and let me know.
Although behind my odometer, I have the same set up - a blue led, and a white bit of paper, and it works fine, no problems what-so-ever. Another thing, before I got my trip computer I had the same set up with my clock. No dramas there.. But the trip computer seems to have the problem.. But the thing is, it chooses itself when it want to not show half of the last number or not..
Well, trial and error I reckon, when I get a chance i'll take it off again and try other things.

The lil plastic screen on the faulty number side hasnt been put out of shape just slightly so it isnt holding the contents behind tightly enough if u get me?

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

i dont see how it'll effect it, my understandings is that it's only for colour/ light projection purposes.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

TheAng wrote:
i dont see how it'll effect it, my understandings is that it's only for colour/ light projection purposes.

except that the face display and circuit board act as the slices of bread in the sandwich if u get my drift, then the rubber contacts surround the LCD panel and coloured semi-transparent filter...so the clear face and PVC board hold all that stuff tightly together...was just thinking its very easy to slightly bend that clear piece..makin it relaxed or an air gap on that side if ya get me so what only be semi-contact between the lcd panel and rubber contacts...

was just enough thing to look at if the filter couldnt be fixed by using 2x bits of paper or another type of filter

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:19 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

That makes alot of sense. We will see if in practise it'll work

Post subject: trip/odometer (LCD) backlights
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF11 Ghia EB11 Ghia Courier ute

QLD, Australia

went searching thru forums and this is the closent one i could find to my prob. wife has EF11 Ghia and the trip/odometer back lights dont work. can not find any blown fuses and other instrument lights are fine, just (LCD) trip/odometer back lights

any thoughts would be appreciated :?: :?:

tks paul

Post subject: Re: trip/odometer (LCD) backlights
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

pop058 wrote:
went searching thru forums and this is the closent one i could find to my prob. wife has EF11 Ghia and the trip/odometer back lights dont work. can not find any blown fuses and other instrument lights are fine, just (LCD) trip/odometer back lights

any thoughts would be appreciated :?: :?:

tks paul

You could post your own thread though dude...have u tried replacing the globe/globes ? .... did they ever work or you go the car that way? ...

Otherwise you may have to open up the unit and make sure the rubber contacts are actually making full contact with the LCD display panel....if u press on the screen gently does the numbers/display begin working or not ?...

Also have a read of the trip computer tech doco - http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=32 make sure the 2 illumination wires are connected up correctly along with the data wire...

Any queries give us a yell or post it up in your own thread...makes getting help on your specific issue a lil easier

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I was speaking to a mate of mine who has worked with electronics, circuit boards and lcd's for most of his life, he also said, try taking apart the trip computer, cleaning both the rubbing and circuit board contacts with some iso prophol alcohol and tighten up the screws...

I'll try it on my day off and see what happens..

Common sense really come to think of it

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]