Fordmods Logo

two problems with my el. im stumped 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: two problems with my el. im stumped
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: el gli, ed xr6 and el classic

hey guys.
my two problems are if anyone could help me fix em or do it for me it will mean the world i will pay you.
first problem. driver side window is rooted needs new window reg but i dont know how to install them.
second problem. a few weeks ago i turned on my heater put it on 2 and a sound was coming down near passanger side footwell that shortly after that it started to smoke really bad with in a few sec the cab was full of smoke.
can anyone help my beloved el falcon.
thanks

Post subject: Re: two problems with my el. im stumped
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

If you remove the door card you'll be able to see the window's motor is riveted in place by about 4 pop rivets.

You can drill the out and use bolts to re-secure the regulator, or go and buy some suitably sized rivets (bolts are easier though).

As for the other problem, it might be the fan speed controller. If you take the glove box out you should be able to see a small fist sized silver box. If you remove it then you should be able to smell and see if it's the culprit.

On that point, what model EL is yours? If it doesn't have automatic climate control, then I'm not too sure if it would have a fan speed controller, I've never really had many low model E-series..

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

00sproggles00 wrote:
hey guys.
my two problems are if anyone could help me fix em or do it for me it will mean the world i will pay you.
first problem. driver side window is rooted needs new window reg but i dont know how to install them.
second problem. a few weeks ago i turned on my heater put it on 2 and a sound was coming down near passanger side footwell that shortly after that it started to smoke really bad with in a few sec the cab was full of smoke.
can anyone help my beloved el falcon.
thanks

I'm guessing teh fan speed resistor died, you will need to replace it, along with a can of smoke. The can is to replace the stuff that escaped.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

its a 1997 gli sapphire. it was working one day then the next it wasnt... hmmmmm werid. and also when u put it on boost it was a really loud winding souund

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:40 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Agree with 67RCE. Just a dead fan speed resistor, it happens as they age. You probably wont have any other fan speeds apart from full/boost. A visit to a pick-a-part and a jacket with deep pockets will get it fixed for you.

When you go out to buy the smoke, make sure its the premium brand can, otherwise it will happen again too quickly.

Fan noise could be a dying motor or a leaf stuck in the motor. The former is a dash out job.

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

I had the same thing happen to my previous EL. What caught my attention was the smoke smelled alot like eucalypt leaves, and yeah the heaterbox was full of them. Vacuumed them all out and no more smoke.
The fan speed controller has a coil that heats up, and if a leaf gets in there it will start to smoke.

I also pulled the cowling off and put some metal flyscreen mesh under the grill to stop it happening again. I used a soldering iron to melt the grill to the mesh.

With the rivets for the window, you need to punch out the centre of the rivet before you drill them out. The centre is as hard as a drill bit and you wont be able to drill through it.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

there are leaves in your heater fan box. with it off put your hand into the box and pull them out

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:08 am 
Stock as a Rock

thanks guys been a good help :)

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:58 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1992 Ford EBII

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Agree with 67RCE. Just a dead fan speed resistor, it happens as they age. You probably wont have any other fan speeds apart from full/boost. A visit to a pick-a-part and a jacket with deep pockets will get it fixed for you.

HAHA and i thought i was the only one with that idea. :) glad to hear that i'm not the only one who does this :P

SIGNATURE TO LARGE. REMOVED BY MODERATOR.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]