Fordmods Logo

Upgrading courtesy light 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Upgrading courtesy light
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

How do you upgrade the courtesy light in an EF fairmont (roof mounted) from a standard light to an NL Fairlane model light, with the map reading lights? Are there extra wires required to run the map lights?

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

i would think so, as the normal light is activated once the doors open, so there is only power at that light when the door opens, and id assume those map lights can be switched on when ever, so you would have to run a an active and return wire up to the light, to put power onto the map switches, then once the switch is pressed they turn on, not only when the doors are open

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

futuras & above have lights which are switch-activated from the light itself - so extra wires shouldn't be necessary. i'd led to believe its just reconnecting the wires to the new light, and ensuring you have the correct base-plate for it as well.

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Is there a technical document that can help me?

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

No new wires needed. The current interior light has a positive wire, and earths through the door switches. The map lights run off the same positive wire, and earth through the earth screw which holds the light up. So no new wires ;)

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
No new wires needed. The current interior light has a positive wire, and earths through the door switches. The map lights run off the same positive wire, and earth through the earth screw which holds the light up. So no new wires ;)

no no no ... lol I've just done this mod. I'll put a pic up one day ... the low series dome light loom only has two wires. The high series dome light looms have three wires.

One earth, one switch 12v hooked up to the doors and one constant 12v for the map lights.

Get a loom - it will make things a million times easier, you will also need the high series roof lining, makes that easy also - everything just plugs in then!!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]