Fordmods Logo

URGENT - dome light, car not starting 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: URGENT - dome light, car not starting
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

i wonder if someone can help me please.

i installed a new dome light in my ef Gli (the one with the map reading lights) and all was going well until the spontaneously switched off. I heard a click from somewhere in my car, sounded like the sound that happens when the interior light turns off after the door is closed.

I tried to start my car and it doesnt start now. It turns over but fails to start (sounds like a machine gun), are these two things related?!

The button on the keychain no longer works either (yes the batteries work).

Please help!

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

no interior light = no car starting, yes they are related from what I have seen and been told.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

check your interior light fuse, if it's f**k, it disables the engine.....

Banned

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You probably managed to short out the wires when you were installing the interior light. Check your fuse panel to find and replace the blown fuse. There is a fuse which powers both your interior lights AND the BEM. Without the BEM, the car wont start!

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

thanks.

after i posted i found another thread that is similar:

Getting back to the light:
The mid series light is basically the base light with the two reading/map lights tacked on the front - there are two green/yellow wires supplying power for each (dome light/reading lights) - simply join them together and attach to the car's green/yellow wire . There is only one black/blue wire - join this to the car's black/blue wire, this controls the dome light and goes through the BEM to allow fading (mid and high series BEM's). The reading lights are controlled by their respective on/off switch, which earths power through the light assy frame.

that is what i did. so do i need a bigger fuse or some other type of connection arrangment

Post subject: Re: URGENT - dome light, car not starting
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

ShriG wrote:
i wonder if someone can help me please.

i installed a new dome light in my ef Gli (the one with the map reading lights) and all was going well until the spontaneously switched off. I heard a click from somewhere in my car, sounded like the sound that happens when the interior light turns off after the door is closed.

I tried to start my car and it doesnt start now. It turns over but fails to start (sounds like a machine gun), are these two things related?!

The button on the keychain no longer works either (yes the batteries work).

Please help!

Sounds like the old favourite: Blown CRT LP fuse -
Smartlock light not flashing ???
1. Check this first - it's 10Amp rated (red), and does make a clicking noise when it blows.
2. It's blown for a reason, you've probably wired the light up incorrectly - the light will have 2 yellow/green wires, which need to be connected to the vehicle wire of the same colour. Might be wise to disconnect this temporarily, replace the fuse, and see if everything is normal again.
3. The light will also have a black/blue wire, and again connected to the corresponding vehicle wire.

Try these things out - see how you go . . . . .

ShriG wrote:
that is what i did. so do i need a bigger fuse or some other type of connection arrangment
Nope - std setup is fine - check out the light assy, there must be a short through the bulb holders or whatever.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

thanks guys everything is working now. Had to run (!) 3km round trip to get a fuse as I was late for an appointment! lol

After wiping away the sweat and heaving precious oxygen into my lungs i replaced the fuse and sped to my appointment.

Later I reinstalled the dome light (with map lights) as per instructions and it worked. I think the first time i must have touched the back of the light clip to the roof of the car and shorted the circuit.

Thanks for all your help. Fordmods rocks![/b]

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You could've just 'borrowed' a fuse from something else. I'm sure you couldve done without your radio, or wipers for the drive up to the auto store! :D

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EL Falcon GLI

VIC, Australia

NOW THATS FUNNY!

Buy my car :) cause i just bought a BA XR6 :)

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

bwhahahahhahah ahhahahahahhaha
now that made my day at work a bit better. :P

Regency Red EL Fairmont - PH4480 - 2.5" exhaust - High flow cat/muffler - K&N panel filter - Mandrel bent air intake - T series intake - wade 1604 cam - 98 EL XR6 ECU - Whiteline lows - 17" ROH RT's - Koni yellows - DBA Slotted's - Green Stuff pads
NEED: LSD, chiptorque

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
You could've just 'borrowed' a fuse from something else. I'm sure you couldve done without your radio, or wipers for the drive up to the auto store! :D
Also there's no harm using a higher rating fuse temporarily, e.g. 30A in a 20A circuit, particularly in this case where you've found the problem. Another good idea while you're at the auto parts store is to get a mixed fuse pack and tape a 10A, 20A & 30A fuse inside the fuse box cover for emergencies - it will certainly save you a jog, and also save remembering where you put your fuse pack last . . . . . . :idea:

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Get the exercise and save the fuel and the environment.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

borrow a fuse. hmmm - now there's a good idea. Got caught up in the emotion i guess, that or my brain doesn't work!! The good news was that I got exercise, the bad news was that it was raining.

I love the taping spare fuses to the fuse panel idea! That is my next 'mod' no question!

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:00 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1997 Ford El Falcon Gli Wagon

SA, Australia

I had the same problem after installing a few additional interior lights. The click you heard was the interior illumination relay turning off. It also clicks when it turns on, as you will notice if you sit in the car and open the door to switch the interior light on.

You will notice that if you replace the 10amp, red fuse, labelled "Interior Illumination" or "Int Ilum" or something to that effect, that your car will start just fine.

From my experience, I have found that the interior illumination fuse controls SmartLock, the Stereo and he interior lighting. This means that if you remove the interior illumination fuse or blow the fuse, your car is immobilized, the stereo will not turn on and will lose all of your preset radio stations and CD tracks and your interior lights will not come on.

Also, if your car is overheating and the thermo fans are not kicking in, you may find that your "AUTO TX" fuse is blown. This is the number 1 fuse, at the top left of the fuse panel and controls your automatic transmission as well as your thermo fan relay. This is a very important fuse if you live in the city.

I hope this might have helped some people. Sorry to hijack this thread by the way! But I just wanted to put my experience out there. :)

Ride: '97 EL Falcon GLi Wagon
Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

How's your mining gear going mate?

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next