Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: URGENT!! EL Dash Upgrade
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:19 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL GLi

NSW, Australia

just installed my EL Mid Series dash into my Base Model car

havent yet got the oil sensor or the coolant or the washer sensors, but i plugged it in and when i turn my lights on the back light for the lcd turns off

i noticed theres a xtra resistor next to red resistor near left plug theres a green one were b4 was blank, do i remove that to get the lcd to workk properly

Post subject: Re: URGENT!! EL Dash Upgrade
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:13 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Try adjusting your lights with the dimmer switch. Turnyour parking lights on and then increase the brightness.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Tryed the dimmer

And incase anyone was wondering light works with lights off

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

I had read that n didn think it applied to MID series into a LOW series car

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Did you change to a HIGH SERIES Body Electronic Module (GREEN BEM)?
If not....
YOU WILL NEED A RESISTOR.
The high and mid series (GREEN BEM controls the backlighting on a variable system). The LOW SERIES (BLUE BEM) DOES NOT.

AS GAB SAID --- Read the FORDMODS TECHNICAL DOCUMENT about this.

There is a picture even....

documents.php?d=14

search.php?keywords=Adding+the+LCD+Dimming+Resistor&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
The search function returned an interesting discussion from MACCA and SNAP (two of the acknowledged GURUS of this site...)

ANYWAY - Here it is, almost exactly HALF WAY DOWN the documents.php?d=14 document.

Thanks to GAB for suggesting this.

Adding the LCD Dimming Resistor

A Big thankyou goes out to WAYNE for Discovering this Interesting Quirk with the Fairmont Clusters, and for working out how to fix this problem !
NOTE : When fitting a Fairmont/Fairmont Ghia/EL-GT Instrument Cluster to a GLi/Futura/XR Model, you will need to add 1 Resistor to the Instrument Cluster, in order for the LCD Panels to Illuminate correctly.
Without this resistor, the LCD Panel(s) (Clock/Trip Computer/Climate Control/Odometer) will not Illuminate when the Park Lamps, or Headlamps have been switched on.
The reason for fitting this resistor is Fairmont/Fairmont Ghia/EL-GT/Fairlane/LTD Model Falcons use the Body Electronics Module to Dim the LCD Panels, when the Headlamps are switched On.
The Low and Mid Series Body Electronics Modules DO NOT HAVE THIS FACILITY.
Fords Method of getting around this problem, was to fit a Resistor the Instrument Clusters for use in GLi/Futura/XR Models.
This Resistor Feeds the Negative LCD Dimming Circuit, when the Park Lamps are on, and without it, the LCD Illumination Bulbs will not Illuminate.

Please Note : Fitting this resistor does not apply when fitting an XR Cluster, to a GLi/Futura/XR Model Falcon.

Finally, it is also worth noting that if fitting a GLi/Futura/XR clusters to a Fairmont/Fairmont Ghia/EL-GT, THIS RESISTOR WILL NEED TO BE REMOVED, and IN ORDER FOR THE Variable Dimming Function to work correctly with the LCD Panels.

The location of this resistor is on the Instrument Circuit Board, and is located to the right of the RHS Instrument Cluster Connector.
I.E. You will need to remove the Dials, and the circuit Board, flip the circuit board over, and solder the resistor in the position shown below.
The Following Picture will give you a better idea of its location,
The Location of the Required Resistor for LCD Dimming
The Resistor you will require is a 1Watt, 47 Ohm Resistor.
The Colour Bands for this resistor are Yellow, Violet, Black, Gold (5% Tolerance, 4 Band type).
Or for a 5 Band 1% Tolerance type resistor , the colour bands would be Yellow, Violet, Black, Black, Brown.
Please note though, you will Require a 1Watt type Resistor, due to the currents required by the LCD Panels.
The following are Catalogue Numbers for the above resistors, from various Electronics stores.
Jaycar - Cat RR-2542 - 47R 1 Watt Carbon Film, 5% ($0.32 Pkt of 2)
d**k Smith - R-1662 - Resistor 1W CF 47 Ohm, $0.10ea

Adding the Resistor
To do this, you will obviously need to remove the Instrument Cluster, and Disassemble.

To Disassemble the Instrument Cluster,
1.Remove the Clear Lens, and Black Plastic Lens Holder by removing the 2 Torx Screws Located at the top of the instrument cluster. (NOTE : You do not require a Torx bit to do this, a flat-headed screwdriver is perfectly adequate.)
2.Unclip the Black Plastic Lens Holder by unclipping the 2 clips at the top, and 3 clips at the bottom of the cluster.
3.Remove the Plastic Masking Lens away from the Dial Faces
4.Remove the 2 Torx Screws, Located at the back of the Instrument Cluster (Near the Bulb Holders). These screws are used to hold the Dial Faces in place.
5.Once these screws have been removed, gently ply the Dial faces away from their respective metal clips. This requires some force to do this, but it is important that you pull the faces directly up and away from the circuit board ! Do not try and Wiggle the faces away from the board.
6.To remove the Cluster Circuit Board, Remove the 2 Torx screws located At the bottom of the Circuit Board.
7.Finally, lift the circuit board from the top, up, and out of the Cluster casing. (Pulling the bottom electrical connectors out from the Casing housing).

Once the location is found, Heat up the Solder points outlined above, with a soldering iron, and attempt to clean the area of the solder.
Below the solder are mounting holes for the resistor. Removing the Excess Solder will allow the resistor to be mounted by placing its legs through these holes.
Once fitted, solder in place, and re-assemble the Instrument Cluster, and test.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Keept same BEM (el gli)

I had read it n from what i understood it onli apied to high series but il get soldering iron out n take the resistor off the old dash n use it

Can u use the old dash pcb

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

didnt red it proplry.

If the Mid series cluster is from an XR or Police spec you do not require adding the resistor as its been added already.

If you use a Fairmont, Fairlane or LTD cluster you need to add it.
or you can install the entire High series Loom inc. Clamate control, then you'll have to remove this resistor and swap the headlight switch module over.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Why was it URGENT!!?

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Becouse i had to put the dash back togetha and saved asembely then disasembly

Why the dumb question

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]