Fordmods Logo

Water Temperature Guage 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Water Temperature Guage
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi all,

I have a 97 El Falcon GLi I6, and I was just given a Swoosh water temperature guage by a friend. It's an electronic guage and has a wire that is designed to plug into a water temperature sensor in the block (i assume).

My question was this, would it be possible for this wire to be connected to the wire in the instrument cluster loom that runs the standard water temperature guage in the dash, and if so, where would be the best place to tap into the loom?

I'm, not sure about this, as I thought it may be possible that th signal going to the temperature guage in the dash is altered by the ECU somewhere along the line...

Any way all advice would be appreciated!

'97 GLi, K&N Pod, Dual Lukeys - 2.5" pipe - 3.5" Tip, Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows, MP3 Deck, Sub/Amp

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The dash gauge gets its reading from a serial data line that is fed from the ECU. The engine temp sensor voltage goes straight to the ECU and is distributed from there.

You may be able to connect it to the return sensor - ECU signal, but it might affect the voltage level to the point where the ECU cant see the signal at all, in which case your dash gauge wont work, and the car will run like crap.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]