Fordmods Logo

Weird climate control behaviour. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Weird climate control behaviour.
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

The Previous owner of my car (EL mont) made a mess of the dash wiring (for example by removing all the insulation tape on the whole loom and leaving it that way in the dash.)

When I saw it, I pulled the whole dash out and put in a new unblemished loom. everything is as new as far as the looms go.. the only changes I made to it were to add an extra earth and install an after market deck. (used to be an installer at Strathfields and other places for many years)

Now that the climate control is all powered up I noticed that the controls are not doing what they should be doing.. for example, to get cold air out of the main vents above the deck.. I have to put the climate control on demist... When I do that, it works perfectly, unfortunately I have no demister.
Stuff like fan speed and temp control seem to work fine, but the vent controls are another story. The fact that putting it on demist turns on the front vents seems to indicate the door motor is ok.. but why is it triggering from the demister?

I thought perhaps he previous owner had put the coloured air hoses on the control module around the wrong way but I've compared it to a fairlane unit I have in the shed and they are exactly the same. (had to use a dremel to make an inspection hole in the dash inside the glovebox)

All the hoses seem to be connected to their correct locations so I'm starting to think I need to try a different controller. I will try to put it into diag mode tomorrow.. but has this happened to anyone else before? You might be able to stop me wasting scads of time.

regards

Frank

Post subject: Re: Weird climate control behaviour.
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

maybe try change the vac pack?

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Which module is the vac pack? is that the blue module behind the deck are with all the hoses on it?

I have a spare one of those but it also requires that most of the dash comes out.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I think there is a difference in operation between EF and EL, maybe it has the wrong control unit.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The loom and all other bits I replaced came from an EL ghia.. so no problems there.

I did just discover something that narrows it down a bit. If I hit the mode button and choose the main vents, the demister comes on..

So long story short, if I can find out which color hose is demister and which is main vents I should be able to swap them around and problem solved.

Anyone know what colour relates to what vent?

gonna hit the manual to see if it details it.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ok.. I found two hoses that were around the wrong way if that doc here http://fordmods.com/documents.php?d=8 is correct. Tan and blue I think it was.. around the wrong way in both my spare and my car.

I have demist now, but it appears that floor is in the wrong place.

getting frustrating, but at least I have demist now which is a legal issue.

Also the unit passed it's diag test perfectly with no errors, so that is no help.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ok..
Some progress..

I found a leak on the black vacuum hose at the joiner directly behind the glovebox. Fixed that and things got much better.

I have demist now, but there is still a problem with the front vents.. If set to face vents, the air doesn't come out the face, but if I set it to floor and face, it does. I tried swapping the blue and brown hoses around but didn't fix it. strangely unplugging the blue hose doesn't seem to effect anything.

It's annoying because I'm pedantic, but at least it's legal now (demister works) and I can get air out the face vents if I need it... would dearly love to know what the problem is though.

cheers

Frank

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The Tan and yellow hoses go to the feet/demist actuator near the left footrest - you can see it if you get your head in there - tan on top, yellow on the side nozzle.
Red and blue go to the front doors on the airbox - red goes to the one flush on the front of the airbox, the blue one goes to the underneath actuator, these are near the firewall.
Might be hard to get to some of those hoses, so might be easier to swap connections at the glovebox junction.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks Mr Snap,

I am able to get to all of them on the blue module now that I cut an access panel in the bottom.

With what you have given me, I should be able to experiment and get it right now.

Pain in the but this system, give me electro servo's anyday. :-)

thanks again

Frank

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]