Fordmods Logo

What's the best cable location for rear cam for a wagon? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: What's the best cable location for rear cam for a wagon?
Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi, I have a front and rear dashcam and need to run a cable from the front camera to the rear. I was just wondering what the best cable routing option would be?

BF MKI e-gas wagon

Post subject: Re: What's the best cable location for rear cam for a wagon?
Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

AmiK wrote:
Hi, I have a front and rear dashcam and need to run a cable from the front camera to the rear. I was just wondering what the best cable routing option would be?

could depend on what wagooon model it is.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MKII XR6

New Zealand

Mad2 wrote:
AmiK wrote:

Says it's a BA 2 E-gas in the signature :P

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

5h4dy wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
AmiK wrote:

OH I did edit that... I guess it didn't save. It's a BF MK1. The purchase paperwork from the yard was wrong when I bought it. :roll:

BF MKI e-gas wagon

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

AmiK wrote:
5h4dy wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
AmiK wrote:

OH I did edit that... I guess it didn't save. It's a BF MK1. The purchase paperwork from the yard was wrong when I bought it. :roll:

didn't see that before :roll: i looked to the left....... :lol:

where will the camera be fitted?. you could run the cable along the door edge of the carpet [under the plastic trim] then up the rear most pillar [normally called a 'D' pillar] then thru the plastic conduit to the tailgate or up an 'A' pillar along the roof lining [taped to the head lining with what ever you want to use to stop it moving around and wearing on any metal] to the plastic conduit between the tailgate & roof. how you fit it will also depend on how much cable you have to spare.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I am thinking Ill mount it in the centre at the top, on the inside of the window.
Are you referring to the left or the right? I have a secondary cigarette lighter connection on the drivers side for the dashcam and GPS. I was hoping to run the cable down the right side if possible, if an extra extension is required I may be able to access that through the rear compartment that holds the jack.
Do you know if there's a conduit or channel from the front to the back and through the pillars? I'd rather keep the cable fully concealed and protected if I can.

Thanks for your help.

BF MKI e-gas wagon

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:11 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

AmiK wrote:
I am thinking Ill mount it in the centre at the top, on the inside of the window.
Are you referring to the left or the right? I have a secondary cigarette lighter connection on the drivers side for the dashcam and GPS. I was hoping to run the cable down the right side if possible, if an extra extension is required I may be able to access that through the rear compartment that holds the jack.
Do you know if there's a conduit or channel from the front to the back and through the pillars? I'd rather keep the cable fully concealed and protected if I can.

Thanks for your help.

there is no actual conduit/channel where you want to run it .... however there is some cabling running along there so you can fix it to that. to fit where you want it [i would fit it there too] you will need to remove the plastic trim inbetween the front seat & the doors. you will also need to remove the cargo section cover so you can easily run the cable thru there [the cover is easily removed/replaced and also need to remove the seat bolster. piece between the folding seat & door]. the hardest parts will be running said cable up the 'D' pillar & then thru the plastic conduit running between the roof & tailgate. you also have the rear brake light fitted where you mentioned fitting camera.

Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:28 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

It will be fine as long as the cable is not crushed, abrading on something or exposed to feet and whatnot. If there's already cables there then there's probably room and it's probably safe. I saw some on the left hand side in the service manual, I was not sure about the right hand side.
It's a small camera, I will more than likely place it right beneath the brake light if there's no light bleed. I don't mind the brake light drawing attention to the fact there's a camera pointed at people behind me.

Thanks for the info :)

BF MKI e-gas wagon

Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

no problem.

yeah there's cables down both sides but for the cabling you want to chuck in ... go down the right side. have fun :mrgreen:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]