Fordmods Logo

Who has put illuminated switches in their BA ? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Who has put illuminated switches in their BA ?
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:48 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Hi guys,
Ive noticed some BAs including XRs have illuminated power window switches and mine does not.
The question is does anyone know if the wiring is there to plug illuminated switches straight in and can the non illuminated switches be simply fitted with the globe to illuminate ? It seems to be hit and miss which models have illuminated switches other than Fairmont and Ghia.
Has anyone attempted this conversion or looked into it ?

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Post subject: Re: Who has put illuminated switches in their BA ?
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

thinking it was ba xr series 2 and high series got illuminated switches. i think the switches have small leds on the circuit board, the same as the cluster making changing it a pita from memory. it is easy to check if you can run illuminated switches though. pull your master switch out and look at the plug and the plug hole. if yours is non illuminated, then reference the pins in the plug hole to the plug. there should be i think 1 extra wire (maybe 2, its been a while. wire colour from memory is blue - red stripe or other way round) if you have this then simply plug in illuminated switches and bang. if not you need to change the body looms. i changed my ba2 xt to futura looms (for four way power windows) and they were in the loom, not as hard as it sounds

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL GLi

NSW, Australia

or just run a extra wire

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:35 pm 

NSW, Australia

Thanks guys. When i get a spare chance i will see if the illumination wire is already there.
Need to take out a switch to check but cant be stuffed pulling the door trim of to look.
Hopefully its there already.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

im preety sure they have the same plug.
ford wouldnt go to the whole bother of running a differnt loom with one extra small wire to power little lights in switches.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:46 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XE ESP, BA XR8

VIC, Australia

http://www.clustermods.com/

This guy can help you out, aswell as doing the mod, he also sells the kits, (leds and resistors) in most colors, i've got the XR blue leds to match the dash lights.

it was random on which cars got lights.

Where Are We Going And Why Am I In This Hand basket?

The number of people watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of what you're doing.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

benny d if you compare an illuminated and non illuminated master switch side by side there is different numbers of pins. my ba2 xt originally didnt have the wiring to support the illuminated switch, it was a bonus in the change over. possibly i didnt get it as i originally only had front only power windows. the illumination wiring might have been in the body loom for four way windows and high up 2 window cars?

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:56 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

It's easy enough to add the extra pin, there is a spot on the curcuit board that it solders to.

The number of people watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of what you're doing.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:17 am 

NSW, Australia

I might be in luck.
My car has 4 power windows. Thanks for your advice Hotxr but the only thing is that web site is in Melbourne.
If i send him my switches especially the master the whole 4 windows until it comes back are unuseable.
So i rang around yesterday and i can get a full set for $75 from mcarthur parts. Might just be in luck. When i do it i will report on the result.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

phatba wrote:
benny d if you compare an illuminated and non illuminated master switch side by side there is different numbers of pins. my ba2 xt originally didnt have the wiring to support the illuminated switch, it was a bonus in the change over. possibly i didnt get it as i originally only had front only power windows. the illumination wiring might have been in the body loom for four way windows and high up 2 window cars?

hmm. ive never had a illuminated set to compare to. :shock:
i heard the visual difference is theres white plastic backing on the illuminated and back for non illuminated. :?:
as my xt has all round power windys i might be in luck too :lol:

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Turbo VT, VL Calais Trubo, HQ SS

VIC, Australia

Hi guys just wondering if anyone can tell me what color the bf typhoon switches light up? Are they green or blue?

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

As far as I know they are all white

230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:50 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Just buy the kit, and do it yourself, took me aprox 3/4 hour inlcuding pulling the switches out of the car, checking each one as i did them, cost of kit was $30.
best thing about these ones are they are the same colour as the dash lights (purpley/blue) not just blue, which looks wrong.
also did my driving light and traction control switch lights, and the ring around the ignition barrel.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:25 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hey Lads...

I put BA illuminated switches in my ED... (see my build in sig, pics and wiring all in there)...

OK so the work as such...

The main power wire to the switch to then run out to the motor also tees off inside the switch to the LED anode... The cathode then runs out into a "spare" pin in the back... The car somehow (not being familiar with BA modules) switches this spare pin to ground and you have illumination...

So moral here is check my build thread... Find the wiring diagram for the switch... Get a test light... Hook the alligator clip to a positive supply and probe into the illumination pin in my drawing and then turn the head lights on... If your test light glows then bingo... Or use a multimeter and you should get 12 volts... (LED test lamp might be better, not ure what does the switching for this in the BA)...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:47 am 

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the advice guys.
Ive been taking my time to do this as im spending my spare time taking care of my sick dad.
As promised i will let you know the outcomes.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next