Fordmods Logo

Windex killed my cluster 

 

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

 
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 148

Joined: 14th May 2005

Location: New South Wales
NSW, Australia

Where do you buy plexus from? I need to try this for my cluster.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:30 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 280

Joined: 30th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

cds70 wrote:
Where do you buy plexus from? I need to try this for my cluster.

Bursons has it :)

Cheers
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2450

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Tip: Don't use windex on the cluster.

 

_________________

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 148

Joined: 14th May 2005

Location: New South Wales
NSW, Australia

I just purchased a small can of Plexus (12g) for $5 and it removed the marks I had on my cluster. You have to buff it reasonably hard but it does work very well, and didn't damage the plastic at all. Great Stuff.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:31 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 57

Joined: 29th Nov 2004

Ride: Falcon AUII Forte

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

cds70 wrote:
I just purchased a small can of Plexus (12g) for $5 and it removed the marks I had on my cluster. You have to buff it reasonably hard but it does work very well, and didn't damage the plastic at all. Great Stuff.



The marks came on by me cleaning it with windex on the outside of the cluster, so if i use Plexus on the outside, it'll clean it? It just LOOKS as if the marks are now on the inside of the plastic? :?:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 148

Joined: 14th May 2005

Location: New South Wales
NSW, Australia

Bangers wrote:
cds70 wrote:
I just purchased a small can of Plexus (12g) for $5 and it removed the marks I had on my cluster. You have to buff it reasonably hard but it does work very well, and didn't damage the plastic at all. Great Stuff.



The marks came on by me cleaning it with windex on the outside of the cluster, so if i use Plexus on the outside, it'll clean it? It just LOOKS as if the marks are now on the inside of the plastic? :?:


I reckon I had similar marks on the outside of the clear plastic cover on my cluster which are from kind of cleaning fluid, and Plexus removed them. As I said, you have to buff it reasonably hard. Good Luck.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 10

Joined: 14th Jun 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: '99 AU Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Mine is really stuffed, it was really cloudy when I bought it. I've tried cleaning it with everything, yet nothing helps.
I need to buy a new plastic cover.. Got any at FTG Salvage???

Image

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:17 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 280

Joined: 30th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

enigma wrote:
Mine is really stuffed, it was really cloudy when I bought it. I've tried cleaning it with everything, yet nothing helps.

What cleaner/polish have you actually tried using on the clear plastic ?
Did any cleaner/polish actually make it worse ? If so, specifying what you used could help others avoid making their cluster worse :?

I'm curious if you have tried using Plexus and what results you achieved :)

Cheers.

PS: Did you remove the clear plastic from the cluster and clean/polish
both sides ?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 10

Joined: 14th Jun 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: '99 AU Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
What cleaner/polish have you actually tried using on the clear plastic ?
Did any cleaner/polish actually make it worse ? If so, specifying what you used could help others avoid making their cluster worse :?

I'm curious if you have tried using Plexus and what results you achieved :)

Cheers.

PS: Did you remove the clear plastic from the cluster and clean/polish
both sides ?

I took the cluster apart to paint it and cleaned it while it was out, tried cleaning both sides. I initially used windex to try to clean it, but that didn't help at all.
I then went with Methylated Spirits which made it a little better, but no where near perfect - next was Mineral Turpentine - same result as the Metho, both made it disappear for about 10 seconds, but then it lovingly faded back..
The stain is on the outside, probably from something being splashed on it and left to eat away at it.
I'm just going to buy a new cover.
Sorry I can't offer any real help on what to do/what not to do.

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 41

Posts: 422

Joined: 25th Feb 2005

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: HOT EL

Location: Berwick
VIC, Australia

DrE Is that a Mecharno boot wing kit on your lid ?

 

_________________

The Lion Tamer

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:10 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 280

Joined: 30th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

enigma` wrote:
I took the cluster apart to paint it and cleaned it while it was out, tried cleaning both sides. I initially used windex to try to clean it, but that didn't help at all.
I then went with Methylated Spirits which made it a little better, but no where near perfect - next was Mineral Turpentine - same result as the Metho, both made it disappear for about 10 seconds, but then it lovingly faded back..
The stain is on the outside, probably from something being splashed on it and left to eat away at it.
I'm just going to buy a new cover.
Sorry I can't offer any real help on what to do/what not to do.

What i can add is never use euculiptus oil (e.g. to clean the stick stuff left by some adhesive lables) as this will make some clear plastics very foggy very quickly. If you have some luying around just try it on an old clear cd case and see it at work for yourself :)

Personally i would also avoid anything that may have amonia in it (windex) as it can attack some clear plastics and cause a fogged look :)
Even alcohols, metho and turps can cause this fogged look on some clear plastics.

Best to avoid these harsh chemicals and use soap and water to gently clean the plastic. If it is fogged obviously this wont help so i use specifically formulated clear plastic polish, to clean and buff :)

Plexus is about the best reasonably priced clear plastic polish there is, <$20 for a spray can. Some better cleaners/polishes are available but cost upwards of $50 - can't remember this brand but it comes in two parts, cleaner and polisher, and is available from some good boating stores.

Try Plexus - works on scratched cds too :D

Cheers.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

PEOPLES we have all got that then products with AMMONIA in them are bad for most plastics OK :D If in doubt dont use it :!:

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Windex killed my cluster
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 3

Joined: 20th Oct 2012

Ride: EF Futura

Location: Gold Coast
QLD, Australia

While I had the EF instrument cluster surround panel out during alarm install, I thought it would be a good idea to remove the instrument cluster lens for cleaning, as I noticed it had a few small spots and some stains around the edges.

Carefully removed it from the cluster, taking care not to snag and snap off any of the plastic edge clips.

Whipped out the spray can of "Australian Export" glass cleaner and gave it a quick spray and rub with some paper towels.

Arghhh!! It's now almost opaque in parts! WTF!

A quick google and it seems the Ammonia in the spray was the culprit (wish I had seen this thread first!)

Rang Ford parts seeking a replacement lens, and was advised they are no longer available for EF!!

Had a can handy of FW1 racing forumula (as flogged at servo's around the country for "waterless car cleaning" see http://www.fw1.com.au ) which is a cleaning wax (no ammonia) and gave that a go on a small section.
Wow, a definate improvement!! That's a relief.

Sprayed the whole lens and using only wet microfibre cloth to buff off/clean (didn't want to risk any further scratches - paper towel was a mistake too) I got it almost back to the way it was in the first place, maybe even better.
It's still got some small stains around the edges which were always there but they are mostly not visible when the surround goes back on.

Read the fine print on the can, and it is suitable for non porous plastics, so that's why it worked.

I did read somewhere on the internet not to use Plexus which is why I didn't go down that road in the first place, but from previous posts in this thread, it seems to do the business.
I may give Plexus (or the FW1) a go later, after sourcing a small buffer tool so I can get into the edges better.
A rag runs the risk of snagging one of the plastic clips - one of which still snapped off during re-installation despite taking care, probably brittle from age. It didn't affect refit though. :)

 

_________________

# I'll send an SOS to the world... #

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: XR9UTE and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:56 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names