Fordmods Logo

woodgrain restoration. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: woodgrain restoration.
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2010 G6E

VIC, Australia

hey, i got some woodgrain ages ago that had peeling and flaking of the clear coat.
my little nephew pulled on off the door the other day, sparking me to sand it back and and decide that it's time to restore them all to there former glory, my question is, after sanding, what would i use to coat them, and give the stain and clear coat like factory.
i fail with woodworking and such so let me know, prefferably something from a bunnings catalogue. lol.
cheers.

be good or be good at it.

Post subject: Re: woodgrain restoration.
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 95 fairmont

VIC, Australia

hey mate now that ur woodgrain is sanded u can stain it any color u like to bring it to former glory it wont cost u much go to bunnings they have color charts there and im sure someone would help u color wise once u chose ur color put a small amount onto a small white rag and coat them lightly and evenly u may need to do this a couple of times to get the right shade of color and to prevent blotches or patches after it is the color u want either buy some clear estapol from bunnings or buy a couple of cans of clear spray paint this may sound stupid but if done right it will look good

remember once the clear goes on it will become a richer color
hope this helps

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

cheers for that, clearing is the main struggle, the factory ones have a really thin plastic like coat on it, i want to replicate that as i get the odd careless passenger or items in the back that tend to rub and that.
what's this estapol stuff like? know anything else that is similar to fords stuff?

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 95 fairmont

VIC, Australia

the clear estapol is used in furniture making its pritty much just a top coat but if i was to do it i would just buy some pressure pac spray stuff only bout 2 dollars a can and u just spray it just like any other spray paint only reason i say this is if someone does leave a scratch in it on something and u want to repair it all u do is take it off and lightly sand it with some fine paper and respray it
the more clear coats u put on the more likely its not gunna scratch

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Use a non-caustic type paint stripper, remove the existing clearcoat. Lightly sand, then stain to what suits you. I used a Wattle High Gloss Estapol, can't remember which one, I can check the shed tomorrow, lay down about 3 coats and gives you a deep hard finish. Using spray can estapol clear is crap and finish will reflect that. Mine have been done a few years now and no scratches, fading or such. Same on both cars.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Use a non-caustic type paint stripper, remove the existing clearcoat. Lightly sand, then stain to what suits you. I used a Wattle High Gloss Estapol, can't remember which one, I can check the shed tomorrow, lay down about 3 coats and gives you a deep hard finish. Using spray can estapol clear is crap and finish will reflect that. Mine have been done a few years now and no scratches, fading or such. Same on both cars.

cheers for that, yeah let me which one, but i'll have a suss for an appropriate seeming one tomorrow as well, i'd rather a better finish so it seems the brush will be the go.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Product is

Wattyl
Professional
Estapol High Gloss
Two Coat Finish

it comes in a Red Tin

Available from Bunnings