Fordmods Logo

Impco converter problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Impco converter problem
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EA falcon 'S'

QLD, Australia

Hey, recently (last thursday) my car (EA S pac) broke down and it turned out to be a ignition module problem. So I bought a new distributor off the internet and it took a few days to arrive. I finally fitted it today, after the car has been sitting for a week. Went to start it and nothing, checked spark, it was fine so I sprayed some carby cleaner down the throttle body and it kicked over and almost ran. Turns out the gas isnt getting to the motor, so then I checked the gas lock off solenoid, it seems to be fine, gas is getting to the converter but not through it. WTF? It was fine last week, has one of the rubber seals inside the converter failed? It appears there is not much you can do to an impco in the way of maintenance? What should I do, also the car does not run on petrol, it hasnt for years and the inside of the tank is all gummed up and the pump assembly is rusted away

Post subject: Re: Impco converter problem
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

The only thing i could suggest is pull the converter off, pull it apart and have a look. Trust me you will be surprised at how simple as s**t these things really are. Just check all the diaphragms are ok (not split) and that all of it isn't all gummed up with tar. Oh and pull the mixer off and apart and make sure that's all clean and the diaphragm doesn't have and splits either. Is a impco 200 i presume? and a type L converter? how did you check that the lock off was working? have you checked that the lpg filter isn't all blocked up and s**t?

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

FLASH wrote:
The only thing i could suggest is pull the converter off, pull it apart and have a look. Trust me you will be surprised at how simple as s**t these things really are. Just check all the diaphragms are ok (not split) and that all of it isn't all gummed up with tar. Oh and pull the mixer off and apart and make sure that's all clean and the diaphragm doesn't have and splits either. Is a impco 200 i presume? and a type L converter? how did you check that the lock off was working? have you checked that the lpg filter isn't all blocked up and s**t?

If I pull it apart will it need new seals or anything to be put back together?

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Its possible, but if you are careful you'll be ok. My converter stripped apart with no problems the only gasket i had a problem with was the one opposite the cooling pipes. its paper around the outside of a mess type filter. a bit of flange sealant and she is right as rain.

FALCAHOLIC

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

hey mate we i work at a taxi joint and we get these quite a bit! my thoughts are hopefully your converter hasnt frozen over but what you can check is the diaphram on the mixer! take off the screws on the mixer and the diaphram is there with a spring. could be really s**t.

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

OK, I have had a closer look at it today, and in appears the gas is getting through the converter but not the mixer. I pulled the mixer apart and the diaphram looks fine, so I tried to run it without the diaphram (I know, probably not the safest thing to do but meh) and pressed the primer button on the converter to let some gas through and the car kicked over and almost started. I sprayed some carby cleaner in the mixer to clean it and put the diaphram back in. It did not appear to let any gas through. the problem I have now is that the timing is not adjusted properly because I just put the new dizzy in, so I dont know how much of the problem is gas and how much is the timing. I put the dizzy to roughly the same position that the old one was, but obviously it will need to be adjusted more finely with the motor running. The gas was working fine before the ignition module s**t itself too, the car sat for a week and in that time something has happened to the gas mixer :|

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok, so now we know more of the story it could be timing related. When you put the dissy in did you have the engine on tdc of the compression stroke? did you have the rotor button lined up with the "start" line on the dissy and did it end up on the finish line? Even if the timing is set to tdc or before or after slightly the engine will run, all be it s**t, but will run enough for you to set the timing correctly. It couldn't hurt to pull the mixer apart again and soak it over night in some solvent, and a good blow out with an air compressor, maybe the small holes where the gas comes out is blocked. But i don't think all this would happen after the car has sat for a week. id say its definitely some thing to do with when you changed the dissy.

FALCAHOLIC

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

New thread as its is now an ignition problem not gas - ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/nasty-ea-t75489.html

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]