Fordmods Logo

Any body have any experience with compressed natural gas? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:21 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I think Gas research used to go a carb that ran on it. check with them

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

splatt wrote:
The prius(AKA pious- check out,and listen to the f*cktards that drive them) was only put on the road to satisfy California regulations, the Yanks have gone straight electric, and will have a Chev on the market within 3 years.

Chev produced the EV-1 in the mid/late 90's to satisfy the zero emissions mandate in California which required US auto makers to build a certian number of zero emission cars per year (be it electric or hydrogen fuel cell technology). The EV-1 was full electric and had a 250km range, it had very good rep from its owners too. Est running costs were less than 1/3 than that of Petrol - probably an even bigger gap with today's oil prices. I'm sure the range would now be longer due to the advances in battery technology over the past 5 years. The sad thing is that the auto and oil industry put pressure on Califiornia's state government to overturn the zero emissions mandate, after which all EV-1 were recalled and destroyed.

Funnily, the EV-1 looks like an AU Falcon from the rear :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

THERE IS A DOCO ON THIS CALLED WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Last edited by Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Any body have any experience with compressed natural gas?
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EA Wagon, EF Sedan and a Trader

QLD, Australia

I had several cars in NZ that ran on CNG. Falcon XY, Morris Marina 1.3, Datsun 260C, Mitsi L300, Ford Transit 2000cc, Holden Torana with a 186, to name a few. Conversion costs were much lower than LPG (then). Also CNG was cheaper. CNG was not available in the South Island.

Now, not many servo's have CNG as cost of maintaining compressors and cylinder banks was horrific. I guess this was due to super high pressures involved.

Power loss when used as a dual fual system was a lot higher than LPG and to get a reasonable performance it was necessary to fit a Dual Curve ign unit which gave the required advance for CNG. From memory it actually retarded the ign timing for petrol, the distributor was set to give the advance for CNG. About 15~20 degrees if I remember rightly. All this was 10 years at least ago.

Last time I was in NZ I saw LPG selling at NZ$1.10/litre. 91 petrol was around NZ$1.40 at the time so LPG was about the same price per kilometre!!

There was no economical way to fill CNG tank at home from NG pipeline as a compressor would be required to pump to about 3000psi. Tanks were massive weight as were about 13mm thick.

Hope this may interest some of you. :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2