Fordmods Logo

AU/BA Dedicated gas Maximum tank/filling capacity 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: AU/BA Dedicated gas Maximum tank/filling capacity
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Hi All,

The AU/BA utes have 2 x 55L (water capacity) tanks. Therefore gas capacity should be 80% of that which is about 90L. When the 80km until empty comes on, I fill up and usually get 68-70L into the tanks. I have never used the last 20L of gas but i'd really like to run my tanks right down to within 5-10L of empty.

Are the fuel gauges in these dedicated gas models set in such a way to deter people from doing this? It would be really handy to get an extra 100km every fill not having to worry about running the tanks dry.

Has anyone got this down to an art? If so, I'd love to know what the approximate minimum "Distance to Empty" reading you get before filling up. I assume even at 0km to Empty there would still be 5-10L of gas in the tanks.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Falcon Classic

WA, Australia

i got dual fuel, and i run the gas till the car starts chugging then switch over, as long as its not running ultra lean for too long you should be right

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Yeah mate its a bit different running dual fuel to dedicated gas. If you run out of gas on a dedicated setup, theres no other fuel to switch to... its usually a tow to the service station job.

What I'm trying to find out is how low anyone with dedicated gas goes before filling up.

cheers

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:09 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

why do u want to run that low?
because gas levels are so dependant of temperature/humidity etc it can vary quite alot.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

I drive several hundred kilometres at a time so it would be handy to get an extra 100km out of the tank without having to fill up along the way (and still have 10L total in the tanks).

In my years of experience with LPG, the most I have ever had a dry fill vary is 3L for approx 70L of gas, depending on temperature etc, so if 10L is used as a buffer then I can't see any risk of running dry.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

Around town ... I ususally fill at around 500km.
On the highway I filled at 780km ... and that was with a stuffed sender as well ... so I was guessing too.

I did run out one time as one of my senders was playing up ... and from dead empty to absolute full .... my AU ute took 100L exactly. Had to get the bastard towed ... I managed to roll the ute down the hill into a servo ... and found it had no LPG pump ... so had to call NRMA ... what a pain.

Also on dedicated LPG ute ... the tanks are different sizes ... they are not both the same size. The passenger side tank is the larger tank.

But for around town ... 500km is about 80-85L for me.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]