Fordmods Logo

B2 PRIMER 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: B2 PRIMER
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII ute

QLD, Australia

I want to fit a primer to a B2 converter.
Could anyone please share some pictures or info on how to plumb it & what is the correct way to wire it up? what method works the best? what is legal & illegal requirements with primers if there are any?

Im using a lg motorgas b2 & 225 mixer and it takes ages to start 1st in the morning. its starts fine after the 1st start.

Ive heard you can use a fuel lock off solenoid for the primer, is this correct? i thought it wouldnt handle the pressure.

Post subject: Re: B2 PRIMER
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

luke111 wrote:
I want to fit a primer to a B2 converter.
Could anyone please share some pictures or info on how to plumb it & what is the correct way to wire it up? what method works the best? what is legal & illegal requirements with primers if there are any?

Im using a lg motorgas b2 & 225 mixer and it takes ages to start 1st in the morning. its starts fine after the 1st start.

Ive heard you can use a fuel lock off solenoid for the primer, is this correct? i thought it wouldnt handle the pressure.

Yeah mate, pressure isn't a problem as it's vapour going through it, just use fuel or vacuum hose.
I'll have to get around to taking a pic of mine, i had it wired off the starter motor so it primed when i turned the key.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

That would be great if you could share a pic.
I think I know what parts I need but I just want to be sure.

Is it legal to hook the wire up directly from the starter motor solenoid?
I thought legally all power wires to the solenoids had to go through the safety switch.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nah legally it's fine mate, a primer can run without the timer on the safety switch.

I'll try and remember tomorrow and see if it's on the car or ripped off, either way i'll take some pics.

There'll be a grub screw in the convertor, you take that out and put a fitting in or screw the lock off directly into it, on the outer side of the lockoff you use a hose fitting, something small to run a vacuum hose off, you run that to a vacuum on the intake as close to the throttle body as you can, that way you keep it central.

Run your power off the other side of the starter solenoid and bingo, you have a primer.

I had to run a primer, when i fitted the Impco E type convertor and the brand new Impco 425 the car wouldn't start at all, i wasn't getting a kick after 10 mins of turning over, once i fitted the primer it started within 5 seconds everytime.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I installed a primer to my B2 yesterday, i just picked up a fuel/lpg lockoff solenoid from my local lpg shop and installed it.
It only took an hour, i had to remove the converter from the car, i didn't have enough room to fit it with it installed. I just wired it through the starter motor solenoid so it primes while cranking.

This morning I went out to start it, it still won't fire straight away, i thought it wouldve.
It now takes about 7 seconds of cranking before it will run.
Im considering running the primer hose directly into the manifold so the gas gets to the engine faster. You can see with my setup the mixer is quite far from the engine. Or would I be better running the primer through a dash mounted switch instead of the starter solenoid?

The primer didn't seem to make any difference to hot starts as it was starting within 1-2 seconds when hot.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I would be running it directly to the manifold.
A bit hard to tell by your photo, but is it running into the mixer?
If so, that's a long way to travel.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

The hose only runs from the highpressure side of the converter to the low side.

I think I'll plumb it into the throttle body instead and see how that goes.
I want to keep it hooked up through the starter motor solenoid though, i don't want to have to push a button to prime it, i just want to keep it all automatic.

The solenoid on the rightside of the converter is the primer. That red wire going to it runs back to the starter motor solenoid.
That hose that runs from the right side of the converter across the top is the primer hose feed to the low-pressure side of the converter.
You can also see in this photo the closed loop controller which is cable-tied to the 1" cloth vapour hose. I tried solid mounting it to the car with some self tapper screws and it made too much noise with its clicking sounds as it controls the vacuum.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:45 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

definitely straight into the manifold luke. bypass all the other filth.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

What exactly is it you guys are doing with the solenoid - I can't see the pics very well.

I have an impco converter (model E I think), which has the four screws around the primer button on top. I assumed thats where you would be mounting a mechanical primer if you had an appropriate setup.

I'm curious as to how you are achieving a prime with a solenoid, as my car also takes about 4-5 secs to start when cold, and i'd like to fix it.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That's the old way of doing the primer Gizmo.

You basically run a lock off straight from the convertor and run a hose from that to the throttle body or manifold.

You can either wire it to a button, or do as Luke and myself done and wire it off the starter so she pumps gas as you turn it over.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

So you just run the lines from the vapor side of the converter, bypass the mixer, and go straight into the manifold?

EF II Sedan

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I plumbed it in where the MAP sensor usually plugs in & it starts in about 3 seconds now. Its good now, i can live with 3 seconds.
Thanks for the help fellas.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

Does the engine stumble or anything during start with this method? I would have thought it might start with the primer, but as soon as you released the key, it would die again until the mixer got its feed of gas.

EF II Sedan

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nope, it feeds a very small amount of LPG in as you turn it over, enough to get it to fire and suck the LPG in from the mixer.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

i have plummed mine up the same way as in your pic into my convertor and it fires up now on the first crank after a 1 second prime

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next