Fordmods Logo

BA Injected Gas spark plugs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: BA Injected Gas spark plugs
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

My BA Wagon was converted to a Parnell Injected gas system recently. The spark plugs were replaced today with the NGK Iridium max BKR6EIX-P the gap is 0.8mm i don't have much experiance with what plugs to use but will give these a go car run's smooth the coils are still original and have done about 143000Klm's.
The spark plugs removed from the engine where a Denso K16SR14 i tryed to cross refreance these today and was not able to find much information on these they are Iridium. The condition they where in made me think they where never changed before the gap's where about 1.6mm?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Futura EF

Post subject: Re: BA Injected Gas spark plugs
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:03 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

0.8mm is *FAR* too narrow for injected gas. You want to be running about 1.1-1.2mm which is about a mm or two narrower than injected petrol only.

The Denso plugs ARE iridium.

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

From the Nippon site......
http://www.denso.com.au/sparkplug/finder

Model Falcon BA and BA MKII
Engine 4.0LÂ Barra 182 DOHC VCT 24 Valve
Year 9/2002 to 9/2005
Sparkplug K16SR14
Iridium Power IK16
Iridium Tough VK16
Gap 1.4

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

A friend has a Parnel system fitted (BA Fairmont), he said to use standard petrol plugs with the injected LPG.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

If the gap is to close will it cause any problem or lack power?

Futura EF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: fairmont

VIC, Australia

I Highly recommend the Bosch double platinum's.

These are one of the only spark plugs that are truly suited to LPG combustion.
I use them exclusively in my workshop now.
I have used alot of brands over the years but since going with the Bosch platinum's I have had ZERO issues with backfire and they are by far the most reliable LPG plug I have used in all my years.
They are also the only brand to have a LPG specific spark plug program and catalogue.
The Bosch plug is so versatile it is the same listing for the LPG, Turbo and N/A 6 cyl barra engine.
No other manufacturer can do that.
The 1 Bosch platinum plug will do the same job of 3 plugs from other manufacturers and do it more reliably and with better results.
The Bosch platinum's require significantly less voltage to fire the plug than most other plugs and they maintain a VERY low firing voltage over their whole lifetime, whereas Iridium's will increase their voltage requirements by a big amount as they age meaning there is far greater chance of backfire occurring as the plug ages a little.
Bosch platinum's have a unique ceramic construction that is impervious the LPG chemical degradation which means they are the perfect plug for LPG operation also.

The part no. for the BA on LPG is FR 7 KPP 33 u+

The other thing you MUST use on any car with coil on plug and plugs down in the cylinder head is Dielectric grease. This grease will act as a electrical insulator creating a insulation around the plug to rubber boot that would require more than 80,000 Volts for the spark to even think of getting through. This will eliminate the chance of spark leakage that is so common on the BA's which leads directly to incomplete combustion, or as we know it, BACKFIRE!
Smear each coil boot with dielectric grease on the inside of the ends. So where the coil boot goes onto the plug and pull the boot off and smear some where the boot meets the coil too as this is the most common place for spark leakage to occur.
Dielectric grease will make a BA plug change complete and guarantee you the best chance at perfect ignition which will result in NO backfires.
I do this to all the BA's I put plugs in and I am yet to have a report of a single backfire since I have been using Bosch Double platinum's and dielectric grease.
And I do HUNDREDS of BA'/ BF's a year and 80% of them would be on gas. They would have to be the most common car in my workshop.

off on a tangent

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: fairmont

VIC, Australia

Bout $10 each.
Cheapest performance plug I know of, especially Platinum.
The roughly last twice as long as a standard plug.
In LPG applications I change the Bosch double platinums every 50 or 60K MAX on customers cars.
On my car I do them every 40K.

The Bosch platinum plus (single platinum with Yyitrium ground electrodes) Bosch recommends changing them every 30,000km when on gas.

off on a tangent

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:15 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the feedback on the bosch spark plugs and will change them over when i get a chance later on.
My BA is not puforming as well as it should my be some pinging but not sure as the car does not accellerate with ease seems to strugle a bit at the moment we are away on holiday's and going up some hill's here in NSW (eden) does not perform as well as it should will try computer reset and see how it goes.

Futura EF

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]