Fordmods Logo

ba on converter style system 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: ba on converter style system
Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:47 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

The OMVL kit only has the AEB 295 processor and R90/E regulator.

The performance, reliability, economy and underbonnet neatness of your install depends HEAVILY on your installer.

Once again, I would like to advise against installing such an antiquated system on such a new vehicle. Odds are that you WILL eventually suffer from backfires and that will mean replacement airboxes - and these cost MONEY. A decent mixer-based system costs upwards of $3000 these days so the difference between mixer and injection in terms of price really isn't as big as you think it is. You could be lucky and score an injected system for under $4000 (I have had people tell me that they have paid as little as $3700 for a Tartarini SVI setup with 68L tank on a BA!). Again, I must reiterate that your choice of installer is probably the most important factor. DO YOUR RESEARCH!

Regards,
Dave

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

PoweredByCNG wrote:
If you're after an American-style air-valve carburettor type system, GENUINE IMPCO is the only way to go, and insist on an LEAN-BIAS computer.

Regards,
Dave

would u mind explaining the lean bias computer to me...

ive got(had) impco commander computer (rich - bias??) and it was a piece of crap...ive actually got it disconnected because it was causing massive flat spots....ive tuned the system without it and its running very nice only prob is its a little too lean at idle on hot days

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

i will mate, ill have a chat to a few installers and go from there- i know some will only fit injected to the BA's. Is it mainly the backfiring that is a concern with going with a venturi system?
thanks mate

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:17 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

GT-P wrote:
i will mate, ill have a chat to a few installers and go from there- i know some will only fit injected to the BA's. Is it mainly the backfiring that is a concern with going with a venturi system?
thanks mate

Mainly the backfiring, but also the lack of proper integration with the electronics. If the backfire is big enough, your engine may suffer conrod damage (the factory E-gas engines are fitted with stronger conrods to attempt to combat this). Also, cars made in 2004 or later require emissions-approved systems. It is difficult, if not impossible for single-point systems to comply with the latest emissions standards. The ECUs used for injected LPG systems actually convert the petrol injection signal / pulse-width into the pulse-width required for LPG injection and therefore mean that the engine will basically be running as if it were running on petrol.

Regards,
Dave

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

backfires causing conrod damage....please.....ford sold a factory gas system since the ED model, if this was such a problem they wouldnt have allowed the cars onto the market...

I always start on petrol so never experience backfires...problem solved....P.S. backfires arre far reduced with coil on plug systems like the BA has....coilpack systems like AU and EF are especially vvulnerable....

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:28 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

PoweredByCNG wrote:
GT-P wrote:
thanks mate

Mainly the backfiring, but also the lack of proper integration with the electronics. If the backfire is big enough, your engine may suffer conrod damage (the factory E-gas engines are fitted with stronger conrods to attempt to combat this). Also, cars made in 2004 or later require emissions-approved systems. It is difficult, if not impossible for single-point systems to comply with the latest emissions standards. The ECUs used for injected LPG systems actually convert the petrol injection signal / pulse-width into the pulse-width required for LPG injection and therefore mean that the engine will basically be running as if it were running on petrol.

Regards,
Dave

thanks dave for all that info man, appreciate it mate
Cheers

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:18 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

gogetta wrote:
backfires causing conrod damage....please.....ford sold a factory gas system since the ED model, if this was such a problem they wouldnt have allowed the cars onto the market...

I believe the DOHC engines have different characteristics that make them more susceptible to conrod damage compared to the SOHC engines. Even Ford themselves have warned of this issue and have fitted strengthened conrods to DOHC E-gas engines.

Quote:
I always start on petrol so never experience backfires...problem solved....P.S. backfires arre far reduced with coil on plug systems like the BA has....coilpack systems like AU and EF are especially vvulnerable....

Definitely not. Backfires aren't only a problem during engine starting. You can have backfires upon acceleration and deceleration as well and not all backfires are caused by worn ignition components (e.g. lean backfires). There are just too many variables that could make or break a modern sequentially-injected engine fitted with a mixer-based system. Basically with a mixer-based system, you're completely by-passing the petrol ECU and the gas system does what it wants to do. That's what I mean by lack of proper electronic integration.

Regards,
Dave

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

see rhodes and heron in richmond.
sprint gas omvl setup less than $2500, neat install good back up.
change plugs to egas (change every 50-60K) and keep an eye out on the coils, use die electric grease.

we have a cab with over 500K on it now 05 ba, only one back fire got a little lazy with the plugs, only money spent is new converter at 300K.

yes its an old school system and injected is light years better.
but for the price difference it is simply not worth it on a run of the mill ba used to get from a to b. no offence to op.

why do u write in here.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2