Fordmods Logo

BF XT with Orbital Liquid injection 

Page 2 of 6 [ 78 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: BF XT with Orbital Liquid injection
Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon GLI

WA, Australia

Whatever you find out could be interesting... look forward to hearing something about possible issues.

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:33 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

spvd02 wrote:
Whatever you find out could be interesting... look forward to hearing something about possible issues.

I actually attended a tour of the Orbital headquarters in Osborne Park WA when we first had the system installed. I had to chance to ask heaps of questions to the Orbital engineers and management and I received comprehensive answers to most of them.

One of the interesting things I found out was that during testing, Orbital ran an LS3 with LPI configured to single-fuel mode and the system was able to keep up throughout the engine speed range with the largest available injectors.

Their main emphasis when developing calibrations is EMISSIONS, followed by PERFORMANCE.

One thing to note is that all the Ford and Holden kits developed by Orbital were developed in close communication between Orbital Autogas and the respective manufacturers, ensuring everything is kept within tolerances set by the OEM. The dual fuel system developed for the FG Falcon range will provide similar performance to what will be fitted to the FG E-GAS vehicles to be launched at the end of the year.

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

intresting, where they using the kieing injectors or there own ?? did they mention anything about the programing if it cannt be touched then may be another way around it would be with the SCT X3 edit.

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:52 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
intresting, where they using the kieing injectors or there own ?? did they mention anything about the programing if it cannt be touched then may be another way around it would be with the SCT X3 edit.

Injectors are made by Continental / Siemens. Keihin injectors are GAS injectors and not LIQUID injectors. Actual calibration of the system CAN NOT be done by the gas fitter and MUST be returned to base (i.e. Orbital). You need a key in order to access the calibration part of the Vialle LPI software.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:15 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

My car is being converted as we speak. Seems the timing isn't too bad either, seeing pulp 98 is selling at $1.45 per litre at the moment. Should get it back tomorrow - hopefully no teething problems. We'll see how she goes.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:41 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

spvd02 wrote:
My car is being converted as we speak. Seems the timing isn't too bad either, seeing pulp 98 is selling at $1.45 per litre at the moment. Should get it back tomorrow - hopefully no teething problems. We'll see how she goes.

Please keep us informed. I'm always keen to see how other cars with the same system turn out.

One thing's for sure - the Orbital system is superior to any gas injection setup.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Also keen to see results and compare install pic's

I prefer JTG kit but do see the Orbital kit to be a great product but they havent been around for 2+ yrs like JTG to make a proper evaluation

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:44 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
I prefer JTG kit but do see the Orbital kit to be a great product but they havent been around for 2+ yrs like JTG to make a proper evaluation

That may be true, but the Vialle LPI system has been around in Europe for over 10 years. I don't think the JTG system has been around for quite nearly as long.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

wow i didnt know that, and they must have something so other can tune it???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Ok, my car is back now.

I could hardly notice the difference at first; drives just like it does on petrol. Things I have noticed so far:
1. Slight buzz from in the boot, but very unintrusive. Very audible if you open the boot.
2. An initial 'whooshy' sound coming from possibly the gas injectors?
3. A little more engine noise coming through the firewall.
4. Switch-over to gas only takes around 45 seconds (est.), regardless of being warm or cold.
5. Car is powerful and responsive, though perhaps ever so slightly more refined on petrol (very difficult to pick).
6. Starting on petrol after having run on gas and it can take an extra few seconds to reach a stable idle, otherwise it may stall when engaging a gear.
7. Cylinder in boot wastes a bit of space as there is significant space left in front of the cylinder.
8. Looking under the bonnet, there's not much to see that's different, as it's all tucked away, and in some very tight spaces(!)

Overall, I can't complain about the system because it runs very well. The only thing I am disappointed with is the compromised boot space (really is quite a compromise), but I am impressed with how it goes 'out of the box'. Now I'll eventually find out how efficient it is, and if anything changes as it wears in. Really enjoying it so far. It certainly does have the grunt when you push it - no compromise there at all!

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:36 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

spvd02 wrote:
Ok, my car is back now.

That's almost exactly what our system runs like now. We do not have the idle and / or refinement issues though (new gas-specific spark plugs may help there).

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:03 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Guys,

Here are some pictures of our install taken this morning. The system was installed in August 2009 with the odometer reading 61,000km. The odometer now sits on just over 69,000km. Sorry about the state of the car. It was washed and waxed a week and a half ago and needs to be washed again!

The system has been configured to purge in 45sec and petrol operation at high rpm has been eliminated, so it will run on gas to the redline.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

spvd02

Can u make a thread on www.fordfrums as people are interested in this system and want as much info as possible about ppl's expeirences and so on.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

I did start a thread on Fordforums, but there weren't too many replies, which is why I went to fordmods. Input from PoweredbyCNG has been fantastic, and some others contributed worthwhile info as well.

Those pics of the orbital system show a close to identical install to mine. One thing that is different is that the little support brace on top of my motor (between engine and inlet manifold) doesn't line up properly with the holes anymore (don't know why not). For the rest, it's fine. Haven't gotten around to taking pics yet, but will get there...

Also, will Insurance companies agree to a higher value if you install a quality gas system? I hope so, because I wouldn't want to put all that money at risk every time I drive the car. Would be nice if it could add a couple of grand to the value.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeh i noticed ur thread but that was asking about the system and it was in the wrong section. Start a new thread there about ur LPG install and who done it and everything , as there are ppl keen to see and compare to JTG.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 6  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next