Fordmods Logo

BF XT with Orbital Liquid injection 

Page 5 of 6 [ 78 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: BF XT with Orbital Liquid injection
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

did they tell what happens to the LED's on the switch, when you cast a shadow over it ??

very cool

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon GLI

WA, Australia

You mean that the LED's dim? I noticed that when I held my finger close to or against it. Dunno how it works, but it's pretty cool.

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Just an update on how the system is doing. Just headed 300km south of Perth in a group to do some Kayaking down a river over a few days.

I towed the trailer with all our gear (~600kg); aerodynamics weren't the greatest, as the cover bulged up from the wind. With 90% of the driving towing a trailer and having 4 blokes in the car, and the other 10% going at low speeds on gravel tracks along the river, I got 350km out of 50L, 340 approx on gas only. Works out to 14.7L/100km. Petrol would have achieved around 12-12.5, so I think gas is doing great! It runs so seamlessly and flawlessly, while all the power and torque of the engine still shines through. Very happy :)

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:03 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Those consumption figures are looking great, especially considering the weight that the car had to lug around.

An E-GAS Falcon would be lucky to achieve those sorts of figures WITHOUT the trailer!

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Some pics of the Orbital system, also only have of the lower manifold with the jig set up

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Just a quick update on the system as a whole. Have done 4000km since the conversion and have noticed:
1. Excellent power/torque - stronger than petrol, and becomes more responsive when engine has been running for some time.
2. Economy is consistently 3L/100km more than trip computer reading - approx 20-25% more LPG.
3. After a long drive (30km or so), parking, and then re-starting, car often doesn't idle smoothly once switched over to gas. Not sure of the cause, but only happens when, for e.g. , coasting along in a car-park. Acceleration is not affected, and once having taken off, and slowed to a stop for traffic lights, it's running normal. It's not a big issue at all, since there is no flat-spotting and doesn't threaten to stall, just not a silky smooth idle.
4. I can only fit 46-50L of LPG in the tank from empty (not 53L). This typically gets me 350km around town driving. Not sure what it'll get in the country, but guessing about 500 (?)
5. When car is not up to operating temp, it will switch back to petrol at about 4500rpm under heavy acceleration. No dramas there at all, since the car doesn't need to rev very high to get going quickly.

Very happy with the system. It is saving me a lot at the pump.

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:42 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Sounds like your car is doing very well. I would say that the idle quality difference between petrol and gas would be because of the different characteristics of the respective injectors.

I have to say, the Orbital system seems to be very well engineered and manufactured. Everything seems just that little bit better than any of the vapour injection systems currently available. You can tell that a lot of thought has gone into things such as wiring loom design and placement of the gas components in the engine bay.

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

Interested in this can anyone get the pics working?

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

Also I am looking at a second hand kit off of an xr6 turbo for my turbo wagon and just wondering if anyone can tell me if you have to have a special gas tank as awhile ago I brought a doughnut tank and gear that bolts up where my spare wheel goes can I use this tank or will I have to get a different one?

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford

NSW, Australia

Very interesting read.

Has anyone got one of these JTG kits on a highly modified motor? How does it run?

The JTG kit uses a Walbro ('normal petrol') EFI pump, but JTG says you need to go 'twin kits' ($10k) to get anything over 35kW per cylinder (8 injectors) making this a very expensive setup for a moderately modified late model Ford.

Are there any other tank options than those steel weights?

Cheers

Piechamp

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:29 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Piechamp wrote:
The JTG kit uses a Walbro ('normal petrol') EFI pump, but JTG says you need to go 'twin kits' ($10k) to get anything over 35kW per cylinder (8 injectors) making this a very expensive setup for a moderately modified late model Ford.

Twin kits?

For engines that require a higher flow of gas, just add an extra pump to the tank which wouldn't be more than a few hundred dollars...

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I reckon the "twin kit" would be a twin outlet tank, twin pumps & twin line kit to flow more LPG to the injectors. Not twin tanks....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford

NSW, Australia

Hi Guys,

I looked into further, API (Aust LPG Warehouse in Vic) distribute the JTG kits, they confirmed that I need two kits. They referred me to their NSW installer in the Gong and I rang them without stating any knowledge and he also advised twin kits at approx $10-$11k. They don't do many of these as there is a lot of tuning and its not profitable???

API said they have a LS3 (sorry for swearing) running twin kits with a 11sec quarter mile time.

Not sure if the twin kits means one tank, and just double everything else, but surely it can't be that expensive.

Cheers

Piechamp

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I'd be very surprised if it meant twin tanks, where the hell do you put twin usable size tanks & have any boot space left? Sounds like they run 2 sets of injectors & 2 ecu's to control it all at the engine end tho, for that price.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

There is a bloke on fordforums who had his BA/BF XR6 turbo making 350rwkw on JTG system, ill find the link and post it

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next