Fordmods Logo

Diesel fuel conversions? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Diesel fuel conversions?
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:15 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hello, is it possible to get a car converted to Diesel fuel? How would you go about it, what would its benefits be and how much would it cost? I'm just curious on the matter :)

Thanks.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:27 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

what sort of car ? i am looking at changing my f100 over at the moment. even with it, it will only be a saving if i go somewhere that doesn't have gas.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:39 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Any of the E series Falcons. Also with a Diesel engine can you use "Bio-Diesel" fuels in them stock?

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:32 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

4.2 L cruiser engine ? yes, most things will run on biodiesel stock. why do you want to do it ? fuel economy ? something different ? i know that with my effy, assuming 10L/100k's from a diesel, and 20 odd on gas. that diesel wasn't really viable. the conversion would only save me money if i had to drive it on petrol.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well if you were to drop a diesel motor in. You will need a different ECU I believe. But if you wanted to change the current unleaded motor into diesel...then that, I believe, is not possible. Diesel engines use high pressures for combustion, I don't think the block will allow such high compressions.

Considering Diesel is the price of Unleaded sometimes, why not go diesel.

Biodiesel can be run in any current diesel engine, though after 1000 - 5000km you may need to change fuel filter, clean injectors and also change the fuel pump since biodiesel acts as a solvent to remove all the carb build up from conventional diesel.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:41 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Quote:
yes, most things will run on biodiesel stock. why do you want to do it ? fuel economy ? something different ? i know that with my effy, assuming 10L/100k's from a diesel, and 20 odd on gas. that diesel wasn't really viable. the conversion would only save me money if i had to drive it on petrol.

Just wondering, Bio-Diesel you could obtain pretty easy im guessing? Like those people who go to fish and chip shops and get their used oil and turn it into fuel.

It'll be better on the environment and im guessing if you get the oil free, cheaper.

This is just out of curiosity, because I'm 15 and looking at getting an E series Falcon when I'm 18. Leaving the smell of fish and chips everywhere would be awesome :)

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Don't Run Bio Diesal it is f**k up. ford australia voids warranteee etc etc there is a sign stating the fact about bio diesal is f**k injector pumps and lift pumps etc etc i work at a wreckers and we see engines that needed to be replaced because of the fact

but different cars different eninges etc

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:57 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Also how do Diesel engines "Handle"? The same performance of Petrol ones? About the Bio-Diesel screwing up parts of the car, do you know why it does that? Doesn't it burn clean inside the engine or something?

I'm no car expert, i deal with Computers hehe. So please excuse my "Know nothingness".

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Froudey wrote:
Don't Run Bio Diesal it is f**k up. ford australia voids warranteee etc etc there is a sign stating the fact about bio diesal is f**k injector pumps and lift pumps etc etc i work at a wreckers and we see engines that needed to be replaced because of the fact

but different cars different eninges etc

It doesn't f**k up your engine...if you know what you are doing. First of all you don't go straight biodiesel. You should go 10% biodiesel at first and then over time increase the amount of biodiesel. Once you hit about 50% biodiesel to diesel you should replace the fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel injectors etc cause the biodiesel removes all the carbon build up on the fuel line from previous continoues usage of conventional diesel. By removing all the carbon build up it helps clean the fuel line. Clean fuel lines means smoother operation, though you have to replace all the parts along the fuel line.

If it is done that way, it will work fine. If you go straight 100% biodiesel, within or less then a full tank, you may already require to replace the fuel line, though that is not suggested due to what Froudey said...it f**k up the engine.

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:49 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

What if its a completely new Diesel engine? Do you still have to do the 10:90% thing? Also are those parts you will have to replace expensive? Is that a good thing that it gets rid of the Carbon build up on the fuel line etc etc?

What would the mileage be like on normal Diesel itself? Would your mileage decrease a lot on Bio-Diesel? Would the cars acceleration drop on Bio-Diesel?

Sorry if I'm annoying everyone, just I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to cars.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8 & 06 4x4 Bravo

VIC, Australia

Just buy a dual fuel E Series, it'd cost way to much to convert to a Diesel & it would be slow as!

'04 BA XR8
Winter White, 5 Speed Manual, Sports Leather, Premium Sound, 2 1/2" Cat Back Exh - no rear Mufflers, Lowered SL/SSL, 20's, Underdrives, BF Typhoon Rear Spoiler, GT Steering Wheel, etc.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

If it is a brand spanking new engine which was initially started on biodiesel then you can go straight to 100% biodiesel. But I think there shouldn't be any problem with running 90% - 100% biodiesel if it was a new engine from the dealers which has done about 2km.

I'm not sure on pricing off parts. but if they were close to that of unleaded engines (which I doubt), then it would be worth the extra money for spending less money on fuel in the long run as well as helping out the enviroment.

Carbon build up is usually a bad thing since it restricts the flow of fuel through the line. Like running in a marathon with millions of people and having poles in the way which everyone has to dodge...so no poles means more smooth running.

I'm not sure on the specs of mileage of biodiesel. I say it would be about the same but don't quote me on that.

phong =P~

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

TAS, Australia

i think you would be better of buying an already deisel car, it wouldn't be easy to convert a falcon to deisel. If you do though, it certainly would be unique.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

TAS, Australia

i think you would be better of buying an already deisel car, it wouldn't be easy to convert a falcon to deisel. If you do though, it certainly would be unique.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

dont diesel cars run a compression of like 40:1? and also i thought they had a glow plug to start it and then they dont have spark plug?

someone could probably correct me...

also in engineering I just did a study on biodiesel for use in diesel trains. It was suggested for unmodified diesel engines that they be run at most on 80% biodiesel 20%petrodiesel (although this was conservative as to offer best protection for engine). It should be noted that overseas, volkswagon and scania have 100%biodiesel engines.

I know that many here might not care about emission, but also biodiesel has 80% less carbon dioxide, 100% less sulphur and 90%< less unburnt hydrocarbon particles. Also has greater lubricating ability than petrodiesel and is safer to transport due to higher flash point.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next