Post subject: Re: Dual fuel and better LPG economy on Stock I6
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

gogetta wrote:
BenJ wrote:
Yep, you need to add another wire to PIN 8, and supply it with 12v to run on Petrol maps and 0v to run on lpg maps.

BenJ

the tickford lpg maps could give upto %10 better economy...ive seen mine improve by around 30km to the tank ...

btw to trigger the LPG maps you earth the pin NOT apply 12v to it....no wonder your ecu was "stuffed"

Ummmm, if you read my quote it says "to apply 12v to run on Petrol, and 0v to run on LPG", just like you said.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

ben no.....still not right

the pin on the ecu is earthed for lpg....
the pin is not earthed (ie open circuit) for petrol...this is very different to applying 12v to it

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:25 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the replies BenJ and gogetta. From what I read, I should be able to fit a J3 chip with an LPG bin file (tickford LPG bin) and ground out pin8 on the ecu for LPG. This sounds like an easy way to improve my economy. When you say the ignition maps are different, does this mean they are a little more advanced at mid/high revs to take advantage of the higher octane?

Can I just switch J3 chip on/off?

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

i have no idea of what the advance curves look like......guess youll have to have a look at them when u get the j3

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Who can supply me with a chip with the trickford lpg tune with higher timing????

I guess it will have the same timing on petrol and lpg which would be a great performance/economy increase???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:05 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

gogetta wrote:
btw to trigger the LPG maps you earth the pin NOT apply 12v to it....no wonder your ecu was "stuffed"
gogetta wrote:
ben no.....still not right the pin on the ecu is earthed for lpg....the pin is not earthed (ie open circuit) for petrol...this is very different to applying 12v to it
So if you're running a duel fuel computer in a non Tickford LPG system (e.g. Impco) which doesn't have an AMS to interact with the ECU, how does the ECU see 12v to switch over to petrol maps ???

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:22 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Hi Mickyyyy. The following company can supply the J3 chip and associated hardware: http://www.tiperformance.com.au Only problem is, they don't appear to have the bin
file I was after on the site. The catch code is 4TED I believe but they do have a 4TEG
bin which is LPG. Not sure if it will work as it is only a Futura bin so my climate control
and other high end features on the Fairlane won't work. Can anyone confirm what
functions I would lose?

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

if they can provide with with the chip with the tune in it and all i have to do it plug it in then ill be happy as i dont want to muck around with anything and stuff it up :D

id buy 2 J3 chips straight away and install 1 in my EF XR6 and the other in my parents EF Falcon and im sure alot of others on here would buy 1

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Two things;

-Im certain you gap the plugs smaller then standard .9 rings a bell, check the ngk website.

-Also, never, never, never, never shake a baby.

1.What are the benefits of fitting a tickford lpg ecu and then tuning that?
Why not just tune your existing one?
It does seem more ideal.

Sturmovik wrote:
LPG has more octane, but its energy density is less than that of petrol. So fuel economy cant be as good.

You can optimise anything

Lpg, well its 60/40 or 40/60 ingredient (season dependent; winter 40% propane, 60% butane, as butane has a lower boiling point, if my memory serves me correctly) and vice versa.
Lpg, for optimum results, requires maximum ignition advance at idle, and huge retarding/retardation (Borat) at higher rpm, i imagine the curve to be approximately linear.

2.Does anyone know how far the j3's can adjust the ignition advance/retard outside the ecu's stardard +/-4? If a j3 chip can retard the ignition system fully to suit lpg then that is sensational, suppose it is A LOT cheaper then having your distributor modified to perform the same function.

3. Can a single j3 chip tune for lpg and petrol independently?
Matt

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I run with a .8mm gap on my EB Ghia & my mums ED Futura, and get very good results. Much smoother running than using the stock gap. The zgr6b-11 ngk plugs are for use in E series LPG falcons, and will be OK with the std gap or 1.0 to 1.1, but the engine will run smoother with a .8 or .9mm gap.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2