Fordmods Logo

Dual fuel EF pinging on petrol 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Dual fuel EF pinging on petrol
Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:39 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

As the subject says ,when i switch to petrol i can hear pinging in the motor , does not do it on gas does any one have any ideas where to start looking for the cause.
Kev

Post subject: Re: Dual fuel EF pinging on petrol
Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Wagon

ACT, Australia

A few questions for you - How many km has it got on it? Has the engine ever been rebuilt? What spark plugs are you using? PULP or ULP? What weight of oil do you run?

If a lot of km, then maybe deposits on the pistons. If it's been rebuilt, the head may have had some material ground off, raising the compression.

On mine, it was after an engine rebuild that it started pinging on a hot day with AC on when going up hill. That was even on PULP. I found using Autolite 985 spark plugs stopped it. Never pings on LPG. I didn't find the Autolites lasted very long though and would be hesitant about using with LPG.

I mainly run on LPG so I use NGK XR6 plugs and try not to use petrol on hot days.

96 EF Wagon, PRINS VSI LPG, Wade 1636, 4480's, Redback zorst, Metalcat, 3 angle valve job, .5mm overbore, hypertec pistons, shaved head (because the head was banana shaped when I brought it), Tickford 16" alloys, KYB shocks, 30mm sway bar, 1 1/2 degrees negative camber, tow bar, roof racks.

Post subject: Re: Dual fuel EF pinging on petrol
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Pull the spark plugs, what do they look like? Fouled up with carbon? What's the engines mileage & blow by like?

Does it ping on e10, or 95 or greater premium unleaded? Or only the cat's piss regular 91 ron?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]