Duel Fuel help!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Duel Fuel help!!
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au xr6

VIC, Australia

Hi all.
Currently I own an 01 Au xr6 uterus. As I am still studying my VCE, soaring petrol prices have majorly put a dent into my earnings. To help save some $$ I was thinking of a gas conversion. A mate of mine suggested duel fuel so I thought I would ask the kind people of fordmods what they thought.

Can anyone shed light on a duel fuel system for the Au? Any problems related or benefits? Or would a straight gas conversion be better?

Thanks to anyone that can give some helpful guidance :P

Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

I've got two ELs here with gas systems to use as donor cars for our ED and EB2, engines and all.
One is a straight gas setup and one is dual fuel.
My thinking is this, if the straight gas unit can't be adapted to duel fuel it will be used in the 'town' car and the duel fuel in the car we do most of our towing and long distance driving with.
We often need to carry extra fuel, eg to remote camp sites, and petrol is best suited for that.
City cabs have been using LPG only for years with, seemingly, much success and fairly problem free. They would have ditched them as economically unsound if otherwise. A similar setup to theirs in an urban environment awash with service stations would be a safe bet.
Reading some of the other threads may identify the model of Impco or other systems favoured by the cabbies.
If you go for straight gas, don't leave it too late to re-fill, unlike petrol, you've got to take the car to the gas.
If, like us you may need to have transportable fuel far away from the nearest fuel depot, or do a lot of towing etc go for the duel fuel for the comfort factor of having the alternative supply.
Either way you get to use the cheaper [for now] fuel.
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: ebxr8

SA, Australia

I've had dual fuel on my au3 for about 7mths,it has never had a problem and i really couldn't tell the difference between petrol or gas,i get around 450-480k's per 64L of gas which cost around $45,i never changed my leads but i was adviced to put gas plugs in,so i'd recommend a mega gas aust. system,if you give em a call or email they'll let you know where the nearest installer is near you,get in quick to make sure you get the $2000 rebate.
http://www.megagas.com.au/

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]