Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: dyno tune vs normal tune
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:51 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

Is a dyno tune worth the money?

I've got a 94 ED wagon on gas with extractors and a t5 now is it worth me getting a dyno tune over a standard tune on the gas?

what do they do differently?

is there any reasons not to get one?

the last gas service was just standand and i had it done at smithys in bayswater.. anyone else been there?

thanks

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Post subject: Re: dyno tune vs normal tune
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:36 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB1 Falcon S

VIC, Australia

A dyno tune looks at the cars readout after being put on one and can show how the gas performs throughout the entire rev range. It can show you where its leaning out/running rich anywhere and can therefore help the tuner get a more balanced tune.

Link to the wiki on Dynos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer

It's really up to you if you want a dyno tune or not. Some people will say it's a waste of money because there's not much power to gain/etc from your car, whereas others might say that it will help keep your gas system running at it's best and you get the best fuel economy and power you can get.

I have been to Smithy's. Regrettably. They are the worst LPG workshop in my opinion.

I got my car converted to a GRA system there. Took them a month, and I got the car back with a faulty fuel gauge, extremely high idle (1400rpm), cracked pedal box, damaged bonnet, badly fitted fuel switch, plus more. Almost all the electrical connections were not crimped properly, the cables that plug into the GRA/dual fuel computer were literally falling out of their connections. Also, they incorrectly jetted the throttle body, and their customer service is shit. Supposedly dyno tuned too. And for the follow-up 3000km service, I changed the cam to a lumpier one. Told them that too....got it back idling at 1700rpm. Also, one of the workers there admitted he thrashed my car and screwed up 4th gear in my gearbox. I'd rather let my car rot and explode before going back there.

I also advised Terry (one of the workers there, manager I think) of the modifications to the car and warned him of a few aspects of it (non-standard looms, etc). He assured me that he knew everything and that I shouldn't tell him how to do his job (he got defensive too and started cursing). Three weeks later, I get a call asking about what cable did what. He screwed them up anyway.

'91 EB Falcon S - Factory 5spd, Factory LSD.
-------------------------------------------
Rebuilt 4.0L, Pacemaker 4499 + 2 1/2" catback, BBM, EL thermos, EL ECU w/J3, custom interior, full Alpine powered sound, custom grind Wade 977b, GasResearch system, custom 3" intake, plus lots more

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1995 EF Ford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Hi All - Tuning Lpg is a different beast than petrol & carb - Mixer has to be calibrated to the particular car first of all - which most people do not bother to do - I do not know the specifics but they use a manometer to check draw on the port where the lpg comes into the mixer. You run it on petrol & then check how much draw when driving it. Sometimes the mixer can be opened up or an adjustable bypass of the mixer (if too much draw). If there is too much draw fuel economy & performance will be affected. Too little & flat spots off the lights & backfiring can happen also hard to drive while lugging the motor up a hill - it leans the motor out & can backfire in that situation as well. After that the best way to tune it is by reading the output of the oxygen sensor. There are many of these around - you can buy stuff finished or even build it yourself with kits from Jaycar. About all you can do from there is Dyno it for timing advance & with many vehicles today you need to be able to program the computer in the car or you used to be able to get a kit from Jaycar - for xf falcons & vk holdens to program advance curves for different fuels & switch between modes I believe. Best of luck

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

neotheone wrote:
A dyno tune looks at the cars readout after being put on one and can show how the gas performs throughout the entire rev range. It can show you where its leaning out/running rich anywhere and can therefore help the tuner get a more balanced tune.

Link to the wiki on Dynos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer

It's really up to you if you want a dyno tune or not. Some people will say it's a waste of money because there's not much power to gain/etc from your car, whereas others might say that it will help keep your gas system running at it's best and you get the best fuel economy and power you can get.

I have been to Smithy's. Regrettably. They are the worst LPG workshop in my opinion.

I got my car converted to a GRA system there. Took them a month, and I got the car back with a faulty fuel gauge, extremely high idle (1400rpm), cracked pedal box, damaged bonnet, badly fitted fuel switch, plus more. Almost all the electrical connections were not crimped properly, the cables that plug into the GRA/dual fuel computer were literally falling out of their connections. Also, they incorrectly jetted the throttle body, and their customer service is shit. Supposedly dyno tuned too. And for the follow-up 3000km service, I changed the cam to a lumpier one. Told them that too....got it back idling at 1700rpm. Also, one of the workers there admitted he thrashed my car and screwed up 4th gear in my gearbox. I'd rather let my car rot and explode before going back there.

I also advised Terry (one of the workers there, manager I think) of the modifications to the car and warned him of a few aspects of it (non-standard looms, etc). He assured me that he knew everything and that I shouldn't tell him how to do his job (he got defensive too and started cursing). Three weeks later, I get a call asking about what cable did what. He screwed them up anyway.

we need to start a name and shame thread for these types of useless workshops.

mate you need to make them pay for your gearbox.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Yep, it's a lucky dip in the world of LPG conversions. Believe me, it gets worse if you don't own a 6cyl Ford.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]