Fordmods Logo

EF won't do the Tickford Self Learn procedure 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF won't do the Tickford Self Learn procedure
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

i've posted twice this year regarding the continiung problems my wife's EF on Tickford gas is having. The ECU was taken out by a gas place and sent to the company in Sydney that made them for Ford, it was fully tested and returned with "No Fault Evident". That's not good news. Then the Gas place had the car for another two days and managed to stop the car clicking and conking out on LPG by rewiring the ECU, or at least some of the Earth wires. So now it actually runs without stalling, which it used to do even if you were driving not just idlng or taking off, but like a dog, an absolute dog. I've used the info in the technical documents here before regarding the Self Learn Procedure for the Tickford system, so I've actually successfully done it before on this car. I've tried numerous times today to do it to see if it will stop the bad running, but as soon as I hit the LPG button, after it has idled for a minute and passed that bit successfully, the engine revs immediately drop about 500 rpm. This instantly puts the test out of spec and I get the slow blink on the light which means the failure of the test. Who can help with the tuning of this system in Melbourne, so far this car has easily cost over $1000 in the last two years getting it to stay on the duel fuel. You know how it is, get the converter fixed after it stuffed up, run well for a while then another problem sets in. I really need help here, even if the tuning test could be listed here for me to do, I'm pretty handy with cars but I'm not too good with the Gas stuff... Help......... :(

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Hi
How about a run down on the procedure that you are using?
Station-rat 8-)

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

You need to maintain 3000 rpm, I found on mine that 3250 is more like it, I assume the Tach is out a bit, try again with the revs a bit higher or lower until it works.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Post subject: re the speed of the engine
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

every other time I've done it on 3000 it's worked fine. My main problem I think is the fact that as soon as I hit the button to commence the 30 second time for the stepper motor thing to set the rpm's drop at least 350-500 instantly which stops the set up routine...

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:43 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

AMS computer has s*** it self
Station-rat 8-)

Post subject: RE AMS computer
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Forgive my ignorance, what is the AMS computer and how do you know that's what is wrong, has it happened to you?

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:02 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

AMS---AutoGas Managment System
It is the computer that runs the gas system
And Yes it has happened to me.
Station-rat 8-)

Post subject: RE Computer
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:39 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

That's the computer I just had sent away and fully tested by the company that made them for Ford, up in Sydney. It was supposed to be fine, my problem ended up being in the wires.(I mean the original problem, not this one) I really need someone I can trust to not take me to the cleaners on this one. Is there anyone out there that can recommend someone here in Melbourne ??

Post subject: update
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:24 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Well, the car stalled whilst my wife was driving through a roundabout and nearly caused a big smash, it now goes without saying that this means it can no longer be driven on gas. Has ANYONE got any referals to a good repairer in the North eastern suburbs (Eltham area). I'm just totally sick of this.... No wonder I drive an EH Premier Wagon!!

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

It's been awhile since I was down that way (5yrs) but I know there was a couple of good gas place's in Croydon and Lilydale.
I took my Xe to one in Lilydale industrial estate when I first got it on the road, they fitted a new petrol solinoid and dyno'd it on both petrol and gas and got it running as smooth as silk with the stage2 cam in it.
They charged me about $100 for the lot which I thought was a bargain with the power increase and economy I ended up getting.

Post subject: repairers
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that, I'll check out that area and see what I find. I,ve just found out by reading an earlier reply in this thread that it was the controller that was asent up to Sydney for a check up not the actual ECU, so maybe that's still a chance.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Several things to check are:

Balance tube is OK with no holes not even a pin hole. Try idling and moving it around and see if the revs change in relation to movement.

Stepper motor problem, have you had a new convertor replaced because of internal leaking and not replaced the stepper motor? The water makes them sieze due to internal corosion.

Do you have a good earth, try running an earth from the O2 sensor body attached by a hose clamp to the earth that should connect to the convertor.

As I said before RPM can make a difference in getting a sucessfull learn done.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Post subject: tell me how to check it
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

if you could tell me how to check the stepper motor and all the other suggestions I'll do it tonight! I'm sure it can't be anything too sinister, it's just been constantly playing up for about 12 months now, makes me wonder if it was something simple after all...

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Remove the stepper motor from the housing so you can see the pintle.
With Petrol selected turn the ignition on, the stepper should cycle the pintle from one extent to the other once. Do it a few times and observe that the travel is consistent and reliable.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Post subject: stepper motor
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

where is it? Is it where the hose goes from the converter to the throttle body? Sorry but I don't have a manual.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next