Fordmods Logo

EF XR6 Idle miss only when on LPG 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF XR6 Idle miss only when on LPG
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

This is my first post so I hope I get it right. My son's EF XR6 had LPG fitted 6 months ago and I am still trying to find out why it misses only at idle after warm up. Have fitted new plugs (correctly gapped), new leads and no change. My friend mechanic who fitted the system (Parnell system suppsedly identical to original systme fitted by Tickford for Ford) says it has to be a dirtly throttle body. So I stripped it doen and thoroughly cleaned it and it still misses and sometimes the idle fluctuates more than before and even stalled a couple of times when coming to a stop. I had a new throttle body to manifld gasket but chose to refit the original as it looked OK and a better quality looking gasket than the new AA grey paper gasket I bought. Any ideas from the experienced people on this forum?

Post subject: Re: EF XR6 Idle miss only when on LPG
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

try cleaning the ISC solenoid on top of the throttle body with carby clean. Also make sure there are no vaccum leaks

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Try disconnecting the PCV hose from the manifold and see if that fixes the miss.It is usually a lean miss caused by the PCV adding extra air to cyl 3. Give it a try and see if it stops missing 8-)

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:04 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for both of these tips. I did strip the solenoid on top of the throttle body as far as I could- that is the 2 ports that go in and out of the main body which were quite black. I couldn't get inside very well where the shaft and spring were but I gave it a good spray. Maybe I should soak it in some solvent to let it really get inside and clean it.

As far as the PVC valve goes, I will try that tomorrow as I do notice that on cold start up it doesn't miss given it is on choke or running a richer mixture. Wold the fix be to replace the PVC valve?
Thanks again to both of my respondents.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

if its the plastic body then yes change it, as they can explode if you have a backfire and bits fall in to the engine and can cause damage

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Yes by all means replace the PCV with metal body version. Ford sell a plastic adaptor to fit just below the idle control solinoid to fix the lean miss problem. Then just plug the fitting on the manifold

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

To test the intake gasket for leaks.

I have seen this done with a gas bottle and hose.
A can of aerostart should give a similar result.

Start the car and idle in nuteral.
Spray directly onto the intake gasket.
The engine speed will pickup if you spray accross a leak.

My dual fuel (LPG) EF had 3 issues.
1. A leak in the intake gasket. A good quality 10mm ratchet spanner is godsend while doing this.
2. Leads. I fitted Top Guns, they have covered 100.000km. Still going strong, no loose ends.
3. The ISC solenoid was faulty, tried cleaning it. Ended up replacing it.

With the ISC, go to Ford. Buy 4 or so gaskets.
Then borrow 1 off a mates car to test on yours.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Just looked at the car again. It has a metal PCV valve. My other son's AU2 XR6 VCT has a plastic one and runs OK. Swapped them over- made no difference. The car has the plastic adaptor sandwiched between the throttle body and the ISC valve whic I think the LPG installer fitted. I pulled it off again and cleaned the internals as best I could with several doses of carby cleaner and let it soak, cleaned again etc. This time, I noticed a slight split in one of the gaskets for for the adaptor. Cleaned both gaskets and smeared some silicon gasget material between all the joints to make a good seal. No real change. Also noticed that the car would stall on start up. Did this yesterday as well. I upped the idle speed a little to 900rom at idle in neutral. Less misfiring and shake when coming to a stop......but still misfires. I just replaced the leads with genuine Ford leads and would rather not have to do it again. Maybe it is the ISC but does that control speed or mixture as well? I know that before I upped the idle speed, the revs fluctuated up and down when going between park and reverse quite erratically.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

-im having similar problems with fluctuating idle....revs hang for too long on deceleration...

does yours rev up for a second and then return to normal? mine does this every minute or so once warmed up...

i did find swapping my pcv helped to richen up the lean idle...

i have tested with carby cleaner for intake leaks extensively and found nothing...changed isc (no improvement - it was a not a new one but)

what brand of lpg system have u got

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yes, my revs fluctuate a bit too. It is supposed to be the Italian system sold bt parnell- can't remember the brand and my son has taken the car so I can't check just now. It is supposed to be the same system used by Tickford for Ford when they used to do the conversions. Strange thing is that there is no miss at all when on petrol so the engine itself must be OK. I am going to take it back to the mechanic who did the conversion so he can test it on his analyser.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

i had similar issues to this on my xr8 on gas. I ran the fault codes and had a few faults, after changing a lot of ignition and sender things, i borrowed an ecu off someone and swapped them temporarily. This cured the problem and i had my ecu recond (repalcement ef xr ECU's are hard to get). I also realised that a lot of the stuff i changed didn't really need changing as the faulty ecu was putting up fault codes that weren't faults. So if you can borrow an ecu off someone and try that it will at least rule out the ecu and you will know that you can trust the fault codes.

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

Mine is a load better since I replaced my BRC converter with an OMVL one I found in the hard rubbish.

You may find he had a bad gas fill with lots of wax etc.
I had this happen more than once.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Make sure youve checked your Earths.

Get A multimeter, and check the voltage between battery earth, the body, and the block

There should be very close to nothing. Falcons seem to end up with over half a volt, and because the LPG System is wired to different earths than the ECU the LPG Systems are wildly affected. .5v is nearly the full range of the O2 Sensor.

The Fix... is to make sure the Earth Straps are in good condition, and make good contact.

Nigel

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:41 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi and thanks for the added tips. We haven't solved the problem yet. I replaced the intake manifold gasket becasue the mechanic said when he sprayed petrol over it, the revs picked up. so new gasket and same problem. Last weekend, I also tried spraying petrol near the forward 1 and 2 cylinder inlets and yes the revs pciked up again! I ahve to try and tighted the manifold this weekend to see if that helps becasue it is a pr..ck of a job to do it all over again. The original manifold didn't even have a split in it or anyhing but I changed it anyhow since I already bought the new one. I will check all the earths as well to see if that helps as well as try new spark plugs. Thanks

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:01 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

So is this problem existent on both fuels, or just on LPG ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next