Fordmods Logo

EL Conversion to straight gas starting problem HELP 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Conversion to straight gas starting problem HELP
Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hi all, I've converted my d/fuel EL to straight gas, I've removed the injectors and rail, left the wiring and plugs, at the same time I've put in a Tickford LPG ECU and removed the fuel pump wiring , did the fuel sender hook up (2-176ohm sender) to the fuel gauge which works a treat. (still trying to work out where I solder in the resistor for low fuel warning? I know it's in series but when I put a resistor on the fuel gauge reads totally wrong)

On top of that I've removed all the switching gear for dual fuel and hooked the gas convertor to switch on when ignition goes on.

My problem is that I have no spark, the motor cranks but nil spark.

Has anyone got any idea's about this?

Ps. I've also complete a auto to manual T5 conversion at the same time.
I'd really like some help with this so i can register the bloody thing and start driving it.

My dream car is one that costs me nothing at all and gets me from point A to B and Back without breaking down.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

is the ecu suited to the car? r u sure its not damaged? it is either that or some wiring is wrong.

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yes the ECU is for the correct model, I also checked it out with the old ECU which was working and still no spark. I'm just wondering if I have to complete the Fuel relay circuit as it appears to go through the ECU. and supply power to the coil ( I think if I'm interpreting the schematic correctly).

I read somewhere that when using a LPG ECU that it defaults to LPG without a switch and which results in it not looking for the injector signals.

I have checked that all other wiring is connected already.
But as I stated I have no spark and given it ran before I removed the lpg/petrol loom (switches etc.) I'd have thought it would have run again.

I need to find out if power is going to the coil and then start back tracking... but I'm still not sure if I need to add some wiring because of removing the fuel pump circuit given I've removed the switches and just hooked into the ignition for LPG.

My dream car is one that costs me nothing at all and gets me from point A to B and Back without breaking down.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

is a atraight lpg ecu?

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Good question I've got the info on it here!

FORD TICKFORD EL-GLI-LPG

96DT-12A650-GE-6TGE

It's for an Auto which I've put a XR6 T5 into with the resistor tricks.
As stated it cranks over but nil spark, haven't had a chance to get back and look at it...

Hopefully later this week.

I'm absolutely stumped as to where I should start on tracing this problem.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

this may or may not help but when i did my conversion i found out the hard way that there is a common 12volt +ve feed to the injectors/ idle solenoid and amongst other things it also supply's 12volt +ve to the coil

so you could check u still have 12v +ve at the injector plugs and/or maybe neutral auto switch but u said it cranks over so i prob aint that

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:11 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

how you blown the main fuse in the engine bay?
Is the odometer dim?

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

why did u get rid of all the petrol stuff?

I find it a good backup..

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:19 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I checked the main fuse blocks and they all seem ok, the odometer seems to be normal brightness from memory but I'll check it again.

As I say the smartlock indicator flashes correctly, engine cranks, gas comes through, but nil spark...

I'll have to trace it from the coil wiring back I guess but it seems weird.

Gogetta I got rid of it because it looked really s**t and as the LPG installer had used the hole in the firewall for the clutch cable it had to be cut anyway for the auto to manual conversion.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:55 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

tiny56 wrote:
this may or may not help but when i did my conversion i found out the hard way that there is a common 12volt +ve feed to the injectors/ idle solenoid and amongst other things it also supply's 12volt +ve to the coil

so you could check u still have 12v +ve at the injector plugs and/or maybe neutral auto switch but u said it cranks over so i prob aint that

I missed your post tiny56 and had been thinking hard all week about this problem whilst helping a mate on a XE 6 to V8 conversion it suddenly occurred to me that the schematics show a power route that supplies the injectors that goes onto the fuel relay and ecu power which when I looked again seems to supply the coil with power.

I had a friend come over to help with the switch gear which I thought I may not be able to handle and he wired in the gas power from under the dash I think this needs to be picked up on that route of the fuel pump relay to activate the ECU power and thus the coil.

The fact that it cranks, Thermo Fans aren't running and reverse lights work all seems well with the Auto to Manual conversion wiring.

So Tiny I reckon you could be right on track with this
I'll let everyone know if it solves the problem

I'll be checking this in the next couple of days as the car is elsewhere.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]