Fordmods Logo

First LPG car fire this morning. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: First LPG car fire this morning.
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

I'm a member of the Rural Fire Service and got a call out for an LPG car on fire. I wasn't sure how to handle the situation so asked for advice from headquarters. We decides to play it safe and keep everyone at a distance. After the car had burn't for approx 30 mins, the LPG tank started to vent in 5 sec burst. This continued for approx 10 mins until all the lpg was exhausted. What really surprised me was that the petrol filler and tank caused more problems than the LPG tank. I was super impressed with the way the tank stood up to the heat and flames. The over pressure relief system did its job and we were able to eventually extinguish the flames.

It goes to show that a properly installed and maintained LPG system is no more dangerous than a petrol car.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Post subject: Re: First LPG car fire this morning.
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Good to hear this from someone with first hand experience.
I have been telling people the exact same thing for years and do the majority believe it? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

Iremember seeing a video of a car on fire that had an LPG tank on board...

the family were filming it from a distance....the thing went off like a bomb....

it certainly didnt vent the pressure off slowly.....there was nothing left of the car afterwards

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

safe as houses... hehe

not havin a chip but aren't you trained to wet the tank down to keep it under venting temp ? i did a third party fire fighting course once long ago so by no means a firey but i recall something bout that.

<can't wait for full hydrogen powered vehicles>

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:14 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Yes, cooling the tank is the suggested method and we were advised to do that by Firecom. Looking at the amount of flame enveloping the tank area made me decide not to attempt this course of action. Even though I was fully kitted up, I didn't want the thing going of like a bomb and losing part of my body to a flying piece of steel. Also Butane cartridges in the car for a portable stove.

As Gogetta said, things can go wrong very quickly and as a volunteer I wasn't prepared to risk my life or my crews life for a car that was already a write off. Everyone was kept at a safe distance and the scene was under control.

The sadest thing was that it was a Falcon panel van and I hate to see a Ford go up in flames.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

Quote:
The sadest thing was that it was a Falcon panel van and I hate to see a Ford go up in flames.

that ok i've seen a few.. hehe, some of them even deserved it..

the worste things is i've heard that shrapnel can fly up to 2km away from an exploded small sized lpg cylinder. thats why they have those valves.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Evacuate area, Keep the tank cool, and do not wet the vent, as it can cause freezing, and then maybe BOOOMM!!

If fire goes out and tank still venting, remember, LPG expands some 270% in air and becomes a highly potent mix, and it is heavier then air, so will pool in low areas.

As long as the tank is venting, and the LPG is burning off, you are reasonably safe.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:14 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Yes, I remember the huge expansion rates from my training on C130 Hercules and the LOX converters they used. They produced 860 litre of gaseous oxy for every litre of LOX. Also the images of BLEVEs during my airforce oxygen training. I think this made me take the cautious approach.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]