Fordmods Logo

Ford EL 98 wont run on gas, please help! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Ford EL 98 wont run on gas, please help!
Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford el 98

VIC, Australia

Hi folks, i have a 98 ford falcon el wagon.
I put 20 gas in recently from the safeway servo in broadmeadows.
The gas was running fine before that. I then drove about 500 meters to the bunnings down the road.
Did my shopping, and came out, jumped in the car, started it then put it in reverse.
As soon as i went into reverse the car ran really rough then carked it. I tried starting it again and it started on petrol, though when it changed over to gas it carked it again.
I kept it on petrol and it drives fine, but when i change to gas it just cuts out- like there is no gas reaching the engine. When i hold the gas switch down and hold down the accelerator pedal, it starts, then backfires and carks it. Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?
As a disabled pensioner i dont have heaps of money to have it checked out, so hoping it may be an easy fix?
I checked the fuses under the dash, all seem to be fine. im really hoping the converter isnt busted.
Please help! I'm sure someone has had similar trouble, how did you fix it??

Post subject: Re: Ford EL 98 wont run on gas, please help!
Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

There isn't that much someone with no understanding of the system can check.

Do you have a or a multimeter, or a test light? If not, go and buy one.. they are about 5 bucks at supercheap or repco.

There are safety switches that cut the gas line off when they lose power.. One of them will be somewhere on the gas line in the engine bay before the converter. it should be getting power when the ignition is on and the gas is on.. (don't leave the car like that for long because if it is working properly, gas will be entering your engine.

The converter is near the cars exhaust and so is the safety switch.. so the heat was forever messing with the electrical terminals on the safety switch in the engine bay.. make sure they are tight and that the solenoid is engaging when you turn the ignition on. Sometimes the connection is dodgy and the soleniod tripping on and off which can result in the car running like a pig or not at all..

Post subject: Re: Ford EL 98 wont run on gas, please help!
Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford el 98

VIC, Australia

I have a little understanding, and will give it a go. Thankyou!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]