Ford=fraud 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Ford=fraud
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: ebxr8

SA, Australia

My wifes 2001 laser has been fitted with lpg,it back fired yesterday and blew the lid off the airbox,car doesn't run properly on petrol anymore but still runs fine on gas,i reckon its stuffed the air flow meter,ford quoted me $600 for the meter and $115 for the airbox lid.they asked if i was sitting down before quoting but i half expected that sort of price. :cry:

next i need to work out why this happened,lpg installer recons its electrical nothing to do with the gas system.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

did the airbox have some give in it as to allow for the inevitable gas backfire?

its odd with fords prices, sometimes they are insane, but others you go in expecting to be bent over a barrel but they quote like $3.

my gas system only ever backfires if the mixture if way of and you give it too much throttle.

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

go buy them off mazda. will find it to be alot cheaper

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Leroy wrote:

Now thats a thought :idea:

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Leroy wrote:

$107 and $758 maybe ford not such a fraud after all. :!:

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Check the MAF wires to see if they're damaged.

Get airbox lid 2nd hand.

All good :)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Check the MAF wires to see if they're damaged.

Get airbox lid 2nd hand.

All good :)

Yer they're missing,stuck on the mesh can't find either secondhand in adelaide.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

FTG auto has quoted me much better prices on airboxes than that... they may be able to assist with MAF electronics as well??

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i'll give them a ring

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

Why would you bother putting a laser on gas, I have 2 v8's and would never consider putting them on gas...these engines are never designed to run on gas, gas conversions are usually dodgy and cause nothing but headaches....

If you can not afford fuel for a laser you can not afford a car.....imagine the fuel you could have bought for the cost of gas conversion and the now damaged parts, not even considering the premature engine wear, cold start problems, other problems, tune ups every few month's, loss of power and throttle response and the list goes on etc just a wast of time and money......

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

xb-coupe-351 wrote:
If you can not afford fuel for a laser you can not afford a car.....

Now this is about as honest as it gets ladies and gents. Can't agree with the rest of your post though xb.

People put cars on LPG when its too impractical to downsize to a more fuel efficient car. Thing is you can't really go much smaller than a laser. Putting one of them on LPG is borderline stupidly tight a***. If you can't afford the fuel bill for a laser then you should be restricted to buses, trains and your own 2 feet. Even Taxi's are too expensive for you.

Reminds me a few years ago when GRA setups on turbo 250 X flows could make a s**t of power. Every tight a*** thought they'd get the same results for their excells.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

ixlrate wrote:
Leroy wrote:

$107 and $758 maybe ford not such a fraud after all. :!:

what prices are they?

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

For starters the gas system cost me $50 after the rebate,since i don't work money is always tight in our house hold,we were going thru around $100 aweek in juice in the laser doing over 1000k's aweek and at that stage petrol was around $1.42l gas 56c,we save around $60 aweek or $3000 ayear,we obviously do alot of driving from me taking the wife to work,then the kids to seperate schools then my eldest to the train station each day so she can get to work,then i do it all in reverse in the evening,my son plays in 3 cricket teams and my daughter in 2 netball clubs so every night of the week were travelling to there traning,sometimes drop the boy off them the daughter go back and get him then her,plus all weekend going to cricket and netball games.
It seemed to me good economics going gas,when driving the laser on gas you can't tell the difference between gas and petrol wouldn't even know gas was fitted except when we struggle to get the cricket bags in the boot.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

xb-coupe-351 wrote:
Why would you bother putting a laser on gas, I have 2 v8's and would never consider putting them on gas...these engines are never designed to run on gas, gas conversions are usually dodgy and cause nothing but headaches....

If you can not afford fuel for a laser you can not afford a car.....imagine the fuel you could have bought for the cost of gas conversion and the now damaged parts, not even considering the premature engine wear, cold start problems, other problems, tune ups every few month's, loss of power and throttle response and the list goes on etc just a wast of time and money......

And I bet you were against fuel injection too LOL

A well setup system can be pretty much low maintenance, as for engine wear if the vehicle is designed to run on unleaded petrol and has been tuned correctly for gas there is a low chance of wear on valves and valve seats, as for cylinder wear petrol is far worse than LPG as LPG can not wash oil from cylinder walls, should I continue.

Back in 91 I saw a better one than "ixlrate's" Laser, a Suzuki Hatch on LPG, after the disbelief I spoke to the owner, he was an old bloke (wife gone) driving from Singleton to Melbourne (about a 2400km round trip) so many times a month visiting his son with his dog in the back, it meant it was cheap and he didn't need to fill up until he got to his destination, a mate did an engine rebuild on it a some time later, he said it had around 500,000km, try getting those sort of kms out of a 550cc engine on petrol, the man spent more money on replacing seat belts from the dog chewing on them than engine maintenance.(he ended up fitting a cargo barrier).

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ixlrate wrote:
For starters the gas system cost me $50 after the rebate,since i don't work money is always tight in our house hold,we were going thru around $100 aweek in juice in the laser doing over 1000k's aweek and at that stage petrol was around $1.42l gas 56c,we save around $60 aweek or $3000 ayear,we obviously do alot of driving from me taking the wife to work,then the kids to seperate schools then my eldest to the train station each day so she can get to work,then i do it all in reverse in the evening,my son plays in 3 cricket teams and my daughter in 2 netball clubs so every night of the week were travelling to there traning,sometimes drop the boy off them the daughter go back and get him then her,plus all weekend going to cricket and netball games.
It seemed to me good economics going gas,when driving the laser on gas you can't tell the difference between gas and petrol wouldn't even know gas was fitted except when we struggle to get the cricket bags in the boot.

Mate, you don't have to justify yourself to anyone. As long as you're happy with it, it's your money and decision - so other fools should just mind their own business.

I can just never understand why people feel the need to criticise people for putting small cars on LPG - while I wouldn't do it personally, it's your choice.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next