How to make a torquey 351 on gas? and other gas questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: How to make a torquey 351 on gas? and other gas questions
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:01 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi.
New to this forum (and fords)
I have a few questions about the optimum bits and peices that will help me in my quest to built a truck engine.

I have a Mazda t4100 truck which, over the past few months I have been modifing to be a car carrier, 2 cars on the truck and towing 2 cars on a trailer, can also be used as a tow truck with the lift fitted at the rear to lift the front of another truck and tow it.

I originally had a chrysler 318 in mind to power it along, but the motor was unsavable.

All up the truck will weigh around 10-11 ton fully loaded.
It has a split 10 speed box, but the spilts are starting to fail in these trucks and Im not to keen to fork out the cash to get mine repaired, so Im hoping not to use it unless absolutly neccesary.

The truck will be running straight gas.

The engine that will be going in the car is a 351 from a ZG fairlaine which is fitted with gas, basic gas system, standard everything, except some sort of 4bbl holly. 2v closed chamber heads.

So the questions I have are:-
To begin with I never plan on ringing its neck, the motor will never see 5000rpm.
I want the maximum torque as low in the rpm range as possible. Any ideas on this? There are so many posts and articals about making more power, but this power isnt where I want it and the engine must be ultra reliable.

There are a few swapmeets comming up and Im on the look out for the bits I will be needing.

Which inlet manifold would be best for gas? As far as I can find out a single plane, but any one in particular? Do the runner lenghts improve torque in certain rpm ranges with gas as it does with petrol?

Do longer primary extractors promote torque lower in the revs? I have infinate room in the engine bay and behind the cab for exhausts and mufflers, is the myth about needing back pressure just that? A myth.

Can electrinic distributors be regraphed like the old school vacume ones? I have read plenty of articals about the best timing for gas, but I think a run on a dyno could be the best bet.

Cam selection. All the brands sell cams for towing and gas etc, but is there a cam, company or grind that would be best suited?

Are there any reasonably priced straight gas carbies and mixers that would be suited to this engine? as im sure the horn added to a holly isnt the optimum way to go.

Plenty of questions for which Im sorry, but as I cant afford to find the best combination by trial and error any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]