Fordmods Logo

How to overhaul IMPCO converter?? 

Page 1 of 6 [ 87 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: How to overhaul IMPCO converter??
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:48 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Futura wagon, BF MKIII Wagon

QLD, Australia

Anyone got any pics of an IMPCO coverter apart?

I have attached a pic of my set up...all I know is it has an IMPCO 200 mixer, don't know about the converter

using 28L/100km LPG...and the car gets as hot as the sun!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: How to overhaul IMPCO converter??
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

Do not want to rain on your parade. But the reason that there are no pictures is that unless you are licensed to fit LPG you should not touch the HIGH pressure side of your gas system. The converter looks like it's an "L". Kits come with instructions but you are supposed to be licensed to buy them.
Regards TPVM.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:31 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

no licence or kit requested, just a picture

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

So buy a kit - you'll get your picture, or actually, an assembly diagram.
Plus you should take on board the earlier advice given to you - not only for your safety, but for others too.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The picture is useless to you as you shouldn't be doing anywork on the converter.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Hi, does anyone have a picture of an Impco converter in pieces?

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Give me your gas work authorization number and i'll give you pages of info on the impco converter, I'll even sell you the parts you need at a pretty good price too.

Other wise knowing what it looks like is pointless as you'll be paying an authorized repairer to rebuild it anyway.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

he asked for advice. not for you to ask if he's a qualified gas fitter. i do all my own gas repairs. it's not hard to do

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

To all you guy's out there who "DO" there own gas work there is a reason you need a license it,s because LPG is an extremely explosive substance in the wrong hands or ill informed ones it can and has KILLED. So all us EXPERTS are saying is DO NOT PLAY WITH BOMBS leave the High pressure side to Licensed Fitters. It is illegal and dangerous. Regards TPVM.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Denislovesit wrote:
Anyone got any pics of an IMPCO coverter apart?

I have attached a pic of my set up...all I know is it has an IMPCO 200 mixer, don't know about the converter

using 28L/100km LPG...and the car gets as hot as the sun!

Why do you think pulling apart your converter will help you? Has the tune been checked & found that no matter where you set the converter & mixer it runs like crap? Has the car's petrol diag been run to see if anything is astray on that side of things? Faulty petrol components like o2 or map will cause issues running on LPG.

The guys on here saying that LPG is dangerous stuff are not talking like that so they can remain "elite" or anything, it's because it really is dangerous stuff if you have not taken every safety precaution, and then some.

I know someone who had an LPG related accident, 2nd degree burns to his face, chest & arms, and lots of fireball damage to his pride & joy. Please go & read up on LPG SAFETY before asking again for pics of the converter apart.

WildEB, nah mate, it's not overly hard to do, but you must be safe about it.

Remember LPG is a heavy substance, that tends to hang around instead of dissipating, part of the reason it's so dangerous in the wrong hands.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

oh i agree. it is dangerous stuff. always turn the tank off if messing with anything. and NEVER cut corners or say "she'll be right". always use gas safe sealers on joins etc.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

WILDEB wrote:
oh i agree. it is dangerous stuff. always turn the tank off if messing with anything. and NEVER cut corners or say "she'll be right". always use gas safe sealers on joins etc.

You still shouldn't be doing it. One of the other reasons is the guy who put the compliance plate on the car is at the very end of things completely responsible for the legalities of the system.
If you play with it and it ends up being non compliant, (i'm guessing you don't a copy of AS 1425)
the last man to do a certification on it is liable. And i doubt very much that if something went wrong and people were killed that you would put your hand up and claim responsibility.

To sit there and make the claims you have is very short sighted and irresponsible.

We dont sit here tell you this because we think we can make an extra dollar out of you, You live that far away from me that it doesn't effect my business either way. (well it does, becuase when there is problem new rules are normaly bought in that effect the entire industry) LPG is dangerous and can and does kill people. People loose hands and fingers when undoing fitting that still contain Liquid (it will snap-freeze your hands). If you get a liquid spray to the face you're DEAD, there are no second chances.
CNG is worse again, at the pressure CNG is stored at, if you undo a fitting the escaping gas will cut your hand off.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

backyardy, thanks for the pic, that helped a lot

upon further inspection I have decided the convertor will require replacement. more cost/time effective.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

I reckon let the FOOLS play with it and blow themselves up and it will teach em not to be so pig headed and stubborn to pay to have it done by a qualified person, if they aren't willing to play with gas unqualified who knows what other dodgy they have done.

end of rant

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

BEAR80 wrote:
I reckon let the FOOLS play with it and blow themselves up and it will teach em not to be so pig headed and stubborn to pay to have it done by a qualified person, if they aren't willing to play with gas unqualified who knows what other dodgy they have done.

end of rant

I don't care if they hurt or kill them selves doing it, It the potential to kill or hurt other people the pisses me off

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 6  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next