Fordmods Logo

Idea's on converting an EL XR6 on straight LPG 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Idea's on converting an EL XR6 on straight LPG
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL XR6

VIC, Australia

Hey I was told by a guy that if I convert my EL XR6 on straight gas it would go just as hard as a petrol while being a whole lot cheaper, as long as I spend the money and modify a few things. Now I have seen a mate put is BA on duel fuel and it just made it really slow and I also drove an EL Fairmont on gas (factory fitted) and I wasn't impressed.
Now is this guy talking rubbish? or is he talking sense and what would it take to do this gas conversion so that I dont lose power on my XR and what do you reackon the cost could come up to?

Post subject: Re: Idea's on converting an EL XR6 on straight LPG
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ive lost only 5% power in my EF XR6 impco lpg system and i dont know why people want to go straight gas in the first place as its a negative in my oppinion.

What happens if something happens with gas all u do is switch over to petrol till its fixed and vice versa.

Basically if u want the best performing mixer type system then u go GRA setup and get urself a XF dizzy modded to suit an E series or AU series engine so u can setup the timing how u like.

Best thing to do is just get a J3 chip with the gas ignition maps and install that in ur car and open up the airbox and retune to get the best out of ur system.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

A GRA tb can be fit & have all the ford TPS & so on fit to it so you can retain duel fuel & get good power on both. The ignition will always be a compromise in a dual fuel setup, you can't advance it much like you could a straight LPG setup. But a J3 chip in your ecu could solve the issue of advancing the timing a bit...

I have gas injection on my EB Ghia & notice no difference in power - on the dyno it's only 2kw at the wheels less on LPG.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL XR6

VIC, Australia

So this setup u guys are saying will retain the power without the cost of filling up petrol sounds. Where can I get this j3 chip and GRA mixers?

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hamsey wrote:
So this setup u guys are saying will retain the power without the cost of filling up petrol sounds. Where can I get this j3 chip and GRA mixers?

GRA mixers (throttle bodies) are available from gas research or their fitters, and the J3 chip, have a look in the ECU section, there's a write up on them & where to get them.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Seems like ppl have tuning issues with GRA gear but i guess if its in the hands of a good installer with plenty of GRA expeirence then ur gona be fine

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
Seems like ppl have tuning issues with GRA gear but i guess if its in the hands of a good installer with plenty of GRA expeirence then ur gona be fine

If you use the incorrect b2 or impco converters you will have no end of issues, GRA b2's are more sensitive than std b2's or impco converters.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Going strait LPG is defiantly a negative in my books. If you are prepared to stay in the suburbs all the time its not so bad, but go out in the bush and you will be wishing you left the duel fuel on it.

Running strait LPG is not going to turn a slug box into a racecar so why do it? Remember empty LPG = Tow Truck.

I have seen many people underestimate the availability and pricing of LPG out of metro areas. On a recent trip to Adelaide i saw 87.9cpl. Better value to buy ULP at 1.20cpl

Think it through before making a decision, Many people run duel fuel setups with good results on both fuels !

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

It might be possible to mount a donut style tank in where the petrol tank went, giving an extra 45 or so ltrs of lpg capacity, with a std 65ltr tank behind the seats, that's 110ltrs of fuel, which if your not driving too hard, will go a long way.

On of my Xr8's, the EB Series 2 is straight LPG, it still has the petrol tank fit, i'm not sure why tho, the fuel lines are plugged up & the fuel pump is disconnected. I'm going to look into fitting a donut style tank in place of the petrol tank.

Driving my EB Ghia i have had a couple of times where i couldn't get LPG, either they didn't sell it or they ran out, having the petrol system in these couple of times was great, but if i had another 45ltrs of lpg on board, i could have made it to the next biggest town that would more than likely have LPG. Out on the road, fully loaded up with a 6x4 trailer with gear as well, i can get 12-15/100, so 45ltrs goes a fair way before you run out........

You do also know you can look up what servo's sell LPG online these days yes?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Dont f**k with going straight gas, its a total waste of time.
Advance your distributor a few degrees, put $5 of premo in so when you do need to run to the service station it runs fine.
Pump your tyres upto 44-46psi (~10% economy gain)
Coast up hills, fight the urge to push the accelerator down, then as you go down the hill, speed up a little over the limit - This easily provides the biggest gain in fuel economy btw! Like 30% on an ideal run.

Dont go removing your petrol tank, injectors, fuel lines. Firstly it takes far too much time, they are not worth s**t selling secondhand. The gains are totally minimal and you are making your car worth nothing! :)

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

To me there arent any gains what so ever and if u want better economy take -GAS-MAN- advice plus if u want better performance u can also add a chip with the LPG ingition map.

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

hahhahahahahahahahahahahahah

ya wankers

drove a car of mine 'about' 5 years ago from melbum ta tamworth then back through sydney/canberra/lakes entrance .... used gas only without any probs

seriously thinkin of converten me eb wagooon ta 2 gas tanks :wink:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]