Fordmods Logo

Impco Vs SprintGas.. My thoughts.. Other systems! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Impco Vs SprintGas.. My thoughts.. Other systems!
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey everyone, just thought i would share some thoughts of these two gas kits while ive just had my second falcon fitted with lpg.

My first falcon, a late 98 model EL, 6cylinder 4L, stock, auto with an Impco lpg setup: This kit was great, 60,000km's from install with out an lpg service (not even the 1,500km free one) and its still going very well.
Engine compression was 144psi 6months before the install of the lpg kit.

Was getting 450-530 highway kilometres to a 68L usable tank depending on how seriously i got into it. 530km tank was a once off, cold late at night, good tank of gas and a very gentle foot.

I have always kept up on the plugs and air filters etc..

My second falcon is a slightly different story; 97model 6cylinder, it was supercharged by the previous owner which has since been removed and has a 1521 wade cam (lumpy, high end gain), jmm 3000 high stall converter, pacemaker extractors (ceramic coated) with a high flow cat and a 2.5inch exhaust with one muffler and one cannon.
The engine compression was between 148-152psi on all cylinders a few thousand kilometers ago. (just to give you an idea of the condition).

On the Sprint gas system i used 19Litres in 170km's (from Moe to Calder Park, Victoria) sitting on between 110 and 120 (gauge showed 9.0Litres per 100) and i spent the whole time comfortably sitting on the limit and watching the gauge in the corner of my eye trying to get the best economy without sitting under the limit :)

Without having gone through a whole tank of lpg yet on the highway, i can workout the actual fuel usage (roughly, not taking into account the different service stations compressors etc):
19L for 170km's = 11.18 Litres per hundred (19 / 170).
Per tank (assuming same road conditions) = 68 \ 11.18 = 608km's

Keep inmind, the jmm 3000 stall does have a final gear lockup, and the product page quotes an actual increased highway mileage using the modified converter.
The car does have a slight leak in the injector seals and cylinder 1's spark plug does have a leak (water over the top, bubbles up).

Thoughts

Impco
Maintenace costs, in my experience were near non existant, besides air filters (which i used an air compressor to clean off alot, i think in 60,000km's i bought only one new filter!)
Reliability, great, never skipped a beat.
The fuel switch was a pain, it did need to be rev'd up to 3000rpm before being switched over to a different fuel, then it took 2-3 seconds doing so.
The switch itself was a problem, the thing was put onto the fuse door on the lower right hand side of the steering wheel, very inconvenient and when accessing the fuse door it would be easily damaged.
Power loss, wow, did i lose some power here, not fun, but it was still worth it, i saved myself a lot of money here!
The fuel switch was a basic switch, no lights, just up and down labelled lpg and petrol respectively.

Sprint Gas
In the 600km's i have done, i cannot floor it, this excludes maintenace as it is not assessible.
The thing hammers in comparison to the Impco setup, althought the car was alot faster in the first place anyway :)
The fuel swtich, located between two buttons right next to the Clock in the centre (i forget what they read).
4 lights show how much fuel is in the lpg tank and lights to show whether the petrol or the lpg is being used.
The car switches from petrol to lpg in half a second, which is an amazing benefit over the impco setup, the car does stall at idle when switching over but this isnt a problem over 60kph.

I am very happy with the SprintGas setup, it doesnt stuff up the intake flow as much as the impco system did.
I do have a boost gauge to show me this on the SprintGas'd car, it is restricted by about 1psi but this is negligible!
11.18L per hundred is fantastic at 110-120kph!

Comparing that figure to the impco setup, i got 11.5L per hundred on a cold night varying gently between 90-100kph on a similar trip.

With these figures, do keep inmind that the SprintGas'd car does have a lot less restrictive exhaust and its claimed the high stall helps also, i don't know enough to comment on the effect on the lumpy wade cam.

My vote goes to SprintGas, a better setup all round, although i hate the idea that their is an air line running from the snorkel (pre filter) into the mixer :S

Hopefully others can share their thoughts here and we can create a small database for others asking about lpg kits! Please write a few comments on any other kit you might have :)

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

can u put up a picture of the mixer and convertor...is the mixer a basic ring type or something different??

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

i have similar results with the sprint gas system,ltd 5 ltr,motors 15 k old and all stock,have had it about 3 months-----cooks car. mine xr8 has gas research 3 stage system,310k stock,gets 7ks\ltr crusing at 120 ks,needs a valve grind and heads recoed,but will replace them with p40s and a new cam,and raise comp. to the 10\1 area,lpg likes higher comp. thats why the wade cam in yours is raising yours to over stock and more filling in chambers,add the hho and get a better burn and more power\econommy.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

The air hose is just a balance pipe for the diagphragm. Air is not drawn into the engine from here so don't stress over it.
I have a similar set up and just swapped the BRC convertor for an OMVL and now it runs 10 times better from stone cold winter starts.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

I've had over 150,000km from my Sprintgas system with zero maintenance cost apart from an occasional tune as I've changed camshafts etc. Needs a tune now though as it was using 16l/100km in country driving before I supercharged it last month. Strangely it's still using 16l/100km in the same conditions.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Fairmont

WA, Australia

Hi, this is my virgin posting!

Pretty much everyone I have spoken to praises the Sprintgas systems, citing that the combination of the OMVL R90 with the AEB295 processor is unbeatable.

How much of this do you think is actually attributable to that processor? I ask because I am getting a system fitted shortly which is basically a Sprintgas system but will have a Gastec FP31 processor instead. Its to fit an ED fairmont by the way.

Thanks.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

oh i just worked out that "sprintgas" is just using omvl convertor......big deal....

impco or omvl are the only 2 systems i would consider...and before u mention gas research well that is really just an impco with a different mixer..

IMO all other systems are not worth looking at

so omvl are just using a simple mixer ring....this I imagine would be fairly restrictive just like the impco mixer is....so its half a dozen of one

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

There are vast differences in converter performance. I have had a brand new BRC converter equiped sprintgas system and it was never as good as the OMVL. I have the AEB295 processor. how do I change the changeover revs? It switches to Gas at too low a setting (about 1200rpm) It then stalls the first time.
My old El with i think the same system used to changeover at about 2000rpm which meant after you pressed the acelerator and it didn't stall as badly.

There is no question of a better idle with the OMVL converter. It's an incredible difference. Even with an old stuffed one like I found in a junk pile runs pretty great.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I am looking out for the Airod mixer as they are supposed to be good.
I remember seeing one at the wreckers a while ago. I wish I had known what they were then.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:
I have the AEB295 processor. how do I change the changeover revs? It switches to Gas at too low a setting (about 1200rpm) It then stalls the first time.
My old El with i think the same system used to changeover at about 2000rpm which meant after you pressed the acelerator and it didn't stall as badly.

I thought the changeover was time-based? Mine changes over as soon as it fires on petrol, even before it gets up to idle. Can be a pain if the idle is out of tune. The 295 has 2 adjustment screws on it IIRC. Someone told me once that one of the screws changes the changeover time delay.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i will have a play and work out what the adjustments do and post some pictures

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah most (all) of the ones that ive seen are time based as its much easier to wire up...some have the adjustment built into the switch (that fits in the dash) and others have a separate module, some have no adjustment...they have a tiny little screw that u turn

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

My sprintgas EL was definitely RPM based.

It used to stay on petrol until you pressed the accelerator and the revs got to about 2000rpm.

The current Ef system with an AEB295 controller switches to gas after a second. But it has occasionally stayed on petrol for longer when it seemed to rev under 1000rpm on start-up.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]