Fordmods Logo

Injection worth it? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Injection worth it?
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

I'm looking at getting my AUII Fairmont converted to LPG, and am gradually getting my head around what's what :)

I've read conflicting opinions so far about whether injection is worth it for pre-BA falcons. I'm not a performance nut (it's just the family car) but I don't want to lose too much power/responsiveness. From what I gather the upside of a mixer setup is that it's common and easy to maintain, and if running dual fuel (so starting on petrol) most of the issues (backfiring etc) aren't an issue. Downside is loss of responsiveness and power.

What do people around here think?

I'm also wondering how the capacity of the 'spare tyre' tanks compares with the usual in-boot tanks?

Thanks,

Ben

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF XR6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

Hi mate i got a OMVl sytem installed a couple of months ago i accutally think that my wagon has more power and responce then it did on petrol. not sure how but i like it. :D

This account is no longer used, check "Sloxr6".

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Ah, good to hear :)

While I'm in here asking questions... both the installers I've talked to have said that its not possible to hook up the trip comp and/or fuel guage for LPG, but I swear I've seen people here mention it. Is that only available with the factory LPG installs?

Ben

Post subject: lpg
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Go the mixer setup, You will have enough power most of the time and just flick to fuel when you need to put it flat to the floor. Make sure you dont ever go down the south coast of nsw unless you leave canberra with a full tank of LPG as they are rip off merchants.

Post subject: Comp
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

They can make the LPG work on the trip computer. I have it on working on mine on both fuels since i got the car. Cheers

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Cheers guys.

Just rang a third mob (recommended from someone here) who use Vialle systems, that are apparently the same as those used by Ford, and wire into the fuel gauge (woman on the phone said not the trip comp, but she didn't sound sure).

So far this sounds like the best bet - unless there's a downside to Vialle? Will be nice not having the ghia interior ruined by an extra fuel gauge :)

Quote is $3500, but Canberra is damn expensive in general :(

Ben

Post subject: LPG
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Why dont you go in to Sydney. Im sure it will be at least $500 or more less than the price in Canberra. Melbourne is LPG capital of AUS with more than half of all lpg cars in aus registered in Melbourne. Plenty of installers down here. I think there are some here for $500 after the rebate.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

the trip comp will still work it just wont be at all accurate when running on lpg.....it uses injector pulse width to calculate fuel usage and as lpg cuts them out the computer will be giving false readings

Post subject: Re: LPG
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

ghia97 wrote:
Why dont you go in to Sydney
Thought about that, but them needing the car for 3 days makes that a no-go. By the time you factor in accommodation and the cost of taking leave, I'd be no better off. Plus I'd need to go back to Syd if there were any issues. Plus, TBH, It's just a PITA :P

Cheers for the help guys. Anyone have an opinion one way or the other on Vialle?

Ben

Post subject: Re: LPG
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:18 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF XR6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

ghia97 wrote:
Why dont you go in to Sydney. Im sure it will be at least $500 or more less than the price in Canberra. Melbourne is LPG capital of AUS with more than half of all lpg cars in aus registered in Melbourne. Plenty of installers down here. I think there are some here for $500 after the rebate.

Got mine for $300 after the rebate :D

This account is no longer used, check "Sloxr6".

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]