LPG and ECU resets 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG and ECU resets
Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Fairmont

WA, Australia

Hi,

I am not very happy about the consumption I am getting from my ED following LPG conversion. Currently I am getting between 20-22L/100km and I have been driving conservatively. It runs like s**t on petrol but I am informed that because it's tuned for gas. The fitter is not exactly answering all of my questions either.

System includes: OMVL-r90 convertor, Sprintgas venturi and Gastec FP32 processor. I replaced leads, plugs and 02 sensor. I am planning on retuning the LPG system using the sticky on here and also the tuning instructions supplied with the processor.

I have noticed something else too - my transmission shifts have changed. I can't tell you exactly how, other than to say i think it's short shifting. Having read a fair bit on here I think I will also reset the ECU and perform the learn throttle procedure beforehand.

Is it foreseeable that this will affect my gas 'tune' adversely, and that I am stupid, or will it likely all be good?

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

id go find another tuner dude

the car will be tuned for gas to an extent, it should not affect teh fuel eccon as much as u have said
and should run on petrol with no worries at all

i would say the fitter has no idea on what he has done or is doing
have u also checked the dizzy cap and rotor?

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU series II

QLD, Australia

A lot of car owners are starting to switch to Hydrogen (on demand) boosters, I have been running one for awhile with petrol and it seems to cut my fuel usage back and the car runs a lot smoother. My brother (who has been running 1 for years with gas) swears by it, he had his dyno tested and with the booster running has was getting a 35% power boost and a cut in gas usage.

just check out "youtube" on hydrogen booster's and make up your own mind about it, I know it works for me :lol: :lol: :lol: (all the way to the bank)

cheers AL

Hey Ya gotta give things a go, thats the Aussie way, after all how will you know if it works if you havn't tried it ??

My New Website on Hydrogen Cells, sales & installs http://hydrogen4fuel.webs.com/

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

umm dude cheers for the info but he was asking about probs with his gas
not on demand hydrogen

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

:? Hey is there anyone on the Coast running a Hydrogen Booster on there car ?

Wouldn't mind meeting up and find out how it's been going and ask a couple of questions if ya dont mind.

cheers AL

Hey Ya gotta give things a go, thats the Aussie way, after all how will you know if it works if you havn't tried it ??

My New Website on Hydrogen Cells, sales & installs http://hydrogen4fuel.webs.com/

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
umm dude cheers for the info but he was asking about probs with his gas
not on demand hydrogen

It was just a suggestion mate, I know that when you go to gas after petrol it will feel like you have lost power, so most compensate by giving the thing more loud pedal therefore using a lot more gas than they intended too.

With the car hydrogen boosted it will (most times) increase the power a bit which may inturn keep the foot off the loud pedal a bit more and save on gas... But yeah I understand if he is having tuning problems - then try someone else to tune it.

cheers AL

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Bullet54 wrote:
A lot of car owners are starting to switch to Hydrogen (on demand) boosters, I have been running one for awhile with petrol and it seems to cut my fuel usage back and the car runs a lot smoother. My brother (who has been running 1 for years with gas) swears by it, he had his dyno tested and with the booster running has was getting a 35% power boost and a cut in gas usage.

just check out "youtube" on hydrogen booster's and make up your own mind about it, I know it works for me :lol: :lol: :lol: (all the way to the bank)

cheers AL

35% power boost??????????????????????????

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

yep tested on a dyno and all - I didnt believe it either untill I saw the paperwork. I should have said 35% performance boost with it running

sorry my bad :roll:

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

are you here to sell something???

start a new thread if u want to talk about other stuff...

the only thing the tuner could have dont to your car to make it run better on lpg is to adjust the timing...u should check that..

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Well I did my own tune and got the following results;

1) Better starting

2) Smooth idle

3) Lambda point at both idle and 3K rpm (as per manual) unlike previous "professional" tune

4) No apparent power loss compared to previous tune

I will have to keep an eye on consumption but at this stage I am happy.

Kudos to the guys here who put together the tuning sticky and updates!

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

I haven't checked the timing but did tell the tuner that I wanted the timing advanced to optimise for LPG (95% usage). I will presume that the s**t petrol performance has something to do with that.

I don't have the means to check it myself, at least not yet.

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:44 am 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

good to hear dude :)

gettign out there yourself is good as it teaches you about your car
and can save some $$

RIP SCOTT

Post subject: Re: LPG and ECU resets
Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Dr Jekkyl wrote:
Hi,

I am not very happy about the consumption I am getting from my ED following LPG conversion. Currently I am getting between 20-22L/100km and I have been driving conservatively. It runs like s**t on petrol but I am informed that because it's tuned for gas. The fitter is not exactly answering all of my questions either.

System includes: OMVL-r90 convertor, Sprintgas venturi and Gastec FP32 processor. I replaced leads, plugs and 02 sensor. I am planning on retuning the LPG system using the sticky on here and also the tuning instructions supplied with the processor.

I have noticed something else too - my transmission shifts have changed. I can't tell you exactly how, other than to say i think it's short shifting. Having read a fair bit on here I think I will also reset the ECU and perform the learn throttle procedure beforehand.

Is it foreseeable that this will affect my gas 'tune' adversely, and that I am stupid, or will it likely all be good?

I just had my AU converted to gas & I dont think the installer did the best tuning job.

Is it possible to get that "Gastec FP32 processor tuning instructions"? I think my installer dosn't want to miss out on potential future business. I'm pretty new to this sit, so could you give me a link to the "tuning sticky" that you mentioned?

It sounds like I have the same set up as you, any hints you can give me?

Thanks mate!

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon XR6

SA, Australia

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont