Fordmods Logo

LPG and extractors? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG and extractors?
Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 99 AU S1 Tickford VCT XR6

NSW, Australia

This may sound like a stupid question and i'm unsure if this is the right topic to being posting this question but can a full exhaust, cat and extractors for a BA XR6 bolt straight up to an e-gas BA falcon? Will you get the same benefits that a petrol engine would such as better performance, fuel economy? (and ofcourse a better sound! :wink: ) Thinking of getting a system off ebay, they seem good value. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.aufalcon.com/thr347

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU2 ute

VIC, Australia

hey mate, i have an AU egas with full exhaust, headers high flow cat and 2.5" exhaust. i paid a fair bit just over $1000 as they do not make an off the shelf bolt on exhaust for the egas it needs to be bent by your local exhaust shop. i would think that most extractors will fit ok but it is definately a little tight right next to the converter. you definately get some gains and a better note but i have found you will always struggle up top due to restrictive air flow.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

AU2TUFF wrote:
hey mate, i have an AU egas with full exhaust, headers high flow cat and 2.5" exhaust. i paid a fair bit just over $1000 as they do not make an off the shelf bolt on exhaust for the egas it needs to be bent by your local exhaust shop. i would think that most extractors will fit ok but it is definately a little tight right next to the converter. you definately get some gains and a better note but i have found you will always struggle up top due to restrictive air flow.

Thanks heaps AU2TUFF. I'm probably better off just going to an exhaust shop as you have recommended if space is restrictive, plus it's not that much more money than what's available on Ebay, i'll have a look tomorrow.
About top end power, would your recommend any upgrades to CAI? I've put in a K&N filter already because i basically blew the original filter into bits due to consecutive back fires from dodgy leads! I'm not sure if it made much difference to performance though...
Thanks again!

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

no worries mad, glad to help. as far as top end power goes, far as i know adding a larger snorkle and high flow filter with a bit of larger pipe fromthe airbox has made little difference. not sure if you've had a look down your throttle body but if it's the same as my mixer ring setup you will have about about a 35mm opening it's hugely restrictive i've tried head work bigger cam ect and i just dont feel i'm geting the gains i should. you should try putting in a tank of propane from your local supagas(or maybe elgas or similar) should give it a bit more punch! i run mine and it feels good although i get maybe 30km over a tank. i don't know whether or not they make an off the shelf exhaust for the egas sedans or if they are any cheaper. but if its not going to be that much dearer i would recommend an exhaust shop if your there when they are doing it you could always get them to change mufflers ect to get a different note. i know how you feel about the backfiring! i bent a spark plug once when mine backfired it also blew the plastic around the panel filter to bits i have a theory that a bit got sucked into cylinder number 1. well all the best with your car mate, i've shamed a few people in mine and get good milage.
sorry for the long post!

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Hey thanks for the reply it's all very valuable info!

Hmm... i'l have to check out the throttle body when i replace my intake pipe, but couldn't you just change the throttle body to one that is less restrictive? or is that big dosh??

I got a few quotes for the exhaust, looking near the $1000 dollar mark whihch is what i expected.. now i just gotta save! My neighbor said temporarily, to get a good note i should take out the middle muffler but is this a bad idea? After all, he is a holden man.. should he be trusted? lol

You mentioned propane? Is this like a NOS equivalent for gas?! That'd be awesome for my taxi!

And you bent a spark plug?! :shock: that's crazy dude!!

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

im in the proccess of researching the gas throttle bodies at the moment and so far it seems there is one particular option that is a winner. http://www.fordmods.com/forums/performa ... 71053.html

a fellow named sly posted a link to his thread you can see details of it there. the propane is supposed to have a higher octane rating but wouldn't say its like NOS lol. judging by the bum-o-meter there is little to no difference. they are a few cents per litre cheaper and are much more consistant with their prices and on top of that supagas is the closest petrol station to work. yes $1000 sounds right thats what everyone else has paid. you could take out the middle muffler and it would surely make the note a little better but you would have to replace it with a bit of pipe still, another option would be to cut the exhaust back a little. far as i know its all legal if it's 300mm(pretty sure thats right) from the door. or if the exhaust is all flanged, and im pretty sure stock is. you could put a couple of washers between the flanges just before the back muffler and bolt it back together. it should give you a better note but it is a bit of a dodgy idea and is probably not legal. i know someone who did it and it worked perfect for him. yeah the bending of the spark plug was definately not cool backfired and misfired pretty badly and i was not expecting it to be the plugs at first so i replaced my slghtly damaged coil pack as well.

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: auii

NSW, Australia

Why would one replace the middle muffler as the back one it the most restrictive as far as I know it runs in one side of muffler with fluted typ baffle then out the other side with yet another grossly restricted typ flutted muffler so why not replace it with a better flow muffler ?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]